OFFICIAL: Alienware M14x / AW 14 Owners Lounge

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, great to find another forum dedicated to the M14x, I've just recieved my brand new R2, and had some problems with it out of the box (a09 nvidia issue) which i've managed to resolve through forums like these quicker than I could get them fixed through dell support.

My first Alienware system for about 10 years (Since Dell bought them) Anyone else have trouble with customer/tech support?

• 2 weeks later...

yeah sometimes..i had a huge argument once where i had some crap inbetween the screen and the screen protector right out of the box. the support guy then tried to tell me that i did something to the machine, as a machined like this would not leave the factory like that. that guy was really really lucky to be far away from me...it was a ridiculous argument...but other times the support is great...it all varies from case to case imo :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. Received my new R2 for Christmas and promptly updated to Windows 8. Everything was going well with the computer and then it had a problem with the Network card. Still not sure what occurred that caused the Killer Wireless to melt down but it would not connect and Windows 8 gave me the, "Your PC encountered a problem, gathering information to forward to Microsoft" and then it would reboot. Tried a system restore but that caused Windows 8 to not boot up anymore.

Did a complete reinstall of Windows 7 that came with the R2 and ended up getting everything back up and running again without issue in Windows 7. I'll not mess around with the Network card drivers this time around and after a week I'll try to upgrade back into Windows 8 again.

my boss told me the same story about his hp whatever notebook. upgraded to windows 8 and the network driver f*ç&/( his whole installation... in the end he ended up reinstallig the whole thing and got it up running, but must have been a real pain according to the dark sacks underneath his eyes ;)

Yeah, I"m still sitting on the fence about reinstalling windows 8 again. But I'm thinking I'm still going to give it another go. I'm getting well versed in formatting and starting from scratch at this point. It's not as scary a concept as it was prior to my issues.

• 1 month later...
Yeah, I"m still sitting on the fence about reinstalling windows 8 again. But I'm thinking I'm still going to give it another go. I'm getting well versed in formatting and starting from scratch at this point. It's not as scary a concept as it was prior to my issues.

I installed Win 8 on my m14x and regret it, working on installing Win-7 as i am typing this.

I installed Win 8 on my m14x and regret it, working on installing Win-7 as i am typing this.

I recently upgraded to windows 8 from 7 and I'm loving it, took a while to get used to it, but I committed and now I enjoy the faster boot time and the start screen isn't as scary as I thought it was a few months ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Most of the newer R2 are on Windows 8. Anybody with the Alienware M14x R1 upgraded to Windows 8. Any issues encountered?

I'm just wondering how would the performance compared to Windows 7 :D

You will love it

I am using it more than 1.5 years rite from the developers preview

fast boot times and alienware OSD, Command center all works in windows-8

and also no driver issues

it's smooth really fast boot times and also time pass games (from xbox )

and you can now upgrade because all apps mostly all supporting the windows-8

and compared to windows-7 it was really cool

Join in windows-8 alienware owners fast bro :P

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I'm now a proud owner of M14X R2, with some extra overclocking and upgrading to SSD, this has become one hell of a machine!! Here are my specs

Alienware M14X R2

3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3630QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

14.0" High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight

2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT 650M using NVIDIA Optimus technology (Overclocked Core@1150MHz)

512GB Crucial M4 SSD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1, English, w/Media

Stealth Black with Soft Touch Finish

Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Killer Wireless-N 1202 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO for Gaming and Video and Bluetooth 4.0

Happy gaming !!

• 2 months later...

The new Alienware 14 had changed my mind completely about Alienware. I had two other AW pc's in the past 8 years ago and 6 years ago ansd they both were disasters. I absolutely love the design and feel of the new machine. I am a aMac guy as well and opening the box of the 14 gave me the sense of quality and awe like Apple tries to inspire. The build quality of this machine is amazing and the performance out of such a small machine is astounding. I liked the 14 so much I ordered a 18! I am now contemplating moving my photography work flow form the Mac back to windows 7 and using just the AW machine with external LCD's of course. :)

Does Windows 8 have the taskbar that can be found in W7? I was considering upgrading to W8, but I really dont like the new xbox-like dashboard. If the taskbar is still the same, then I'll probably just enjoy the upgraded performance and ignore the new touchscreen- happy dashboard feature

• 1 month later...

Hello I stand. I have a M14x for about a year and a half. The other day I upgrade my hard drive to a ssd and I finally decided to install windows 8. I was not convinced anything the Metro interface. But I must say that is very fluid and this convinced me. Let's see how it continues.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you want to turn off optimus?

Turning the intel GPU off would mean you get no display, as with Optimus, the display in the m14x is fed from the Intel gpu.

Only the displayport output on the side is connected directly to the nvidia gpu.

is there a custom bios available for the M14 for switching graphics between Optimus, NVIDIA, and Intel?

Optimus is the mechanism that switches between the on-board Intel IGP and the discrete nVidia GPU. Optimus is part of the nVidia graphics driver, not the system or video firmware.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I've had my M14xR2 for a few months now, upgraded from an M14xR1. Really loving the battery savings from Ivy Bridge, and the mSATA slot. Looks like there's some great info here, especially around the area of Modded Vbios. Hope to try it out soon

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, ive had my m14x r2 for about 3-4 months. i wanted to get the most out of it, so i tweaking it with the turbo and the override. everything went fast and smooth, and it would normally run around 3190.0MHz, but for some reason recently it started turning off turbo mode more often and most sessions on the computer max it out around 2900 which is what it's supposed to max at with turbo off. anyone else finding it difficult to keep the system from overriding OCing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all. I just got my hands on a used m14x r2 is great shape I traded a logitech g27 for it (LOL) I'm glad I didn't pay much for it because I am not pleased with the performance with this thing at all cant even run wow on high settings I get like 15fps out in the middle of no where.... I have tried everything I can thing of I have formatted it installed the latest drivers set it to run on the 650m still nothing.... It even skips and lags on google chrome maybe there is nothing wrong with this laptop and it just sucks or I have spoiled my self with the power of desktop.