OFFICIAL: Alienware M14x / AW 14 Owners Lounge

Brian

Alright... interesting. I'm trying to understand how this dynamic clocking works... Do you use EVGA Precison X for overclocking, or a different tool? 135MHz is the max possible value for the clock offset slider?

Yes, 135 is max Regardless of what tool you use. Nvidia utilities, evga, msi, etc... I've tried them all. Ive also created custom profiles that go over that and guess what. It returns the clocks to stock. So this is something that has to be set in the bios or something.

I use MSI afterburner since its easiest and causes me the fewest crashes. EVGA precision (which I used to love) just drives me nuts now. It causes lockups and freezes and hangs in memory sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...

by the way, the reason i ask is because of this: i did a strip down of the 14x-r2 and repasted the gpu and the cpu with IC Diamond. Now if i run furmark and prime95 stresstest at the same time, the max cpu temp is 80 degrees celsius and for the gpu it's around 59 degrees.

the problem is, i didn't do this before the repaste ... d'oh!

now i'm wondering if the temp on the cpu is too high. even though i believe that 80 degrees for running prime95 is not bad. because since the strip down is a pain in the @ss i will only do it if temps are bad, but not just to see if i get 79 instead of 80 degrees the next time ;-)

thanks for any advise :)

EDIT: nevermind...i did a repaste again as i didn't feel like waiting and it's about the same. 3 degrees more, but it's a lot warmer in here since i made the first test with prime and kombustor this morning. so i guess it's ok then :)

I did that once it definately felt like a doh moment. Well its how we learn sometimes. Maybe test in a tempt controlled room next time both times....

yeah i know what you mean.. :)

i'm still wondering. the laptop idels around 50 degrees cpu. if i play f.e.a.r. it won't go over 72. if i do a vantage run it will go up to 81. if i let prime running for ~ 10 minutes max is 85 (vor a very very short time). if i play resident evil o.r.c. it will go up to 84. (always talking about cpu temp). i'm not worried about the temp, i was just wondering if that's okay like that, even though i did a repaste with icd 24. as i did it twice i don't think i did it wrong (i quite a few repastes, so i kinda know what i'm doing ;-) ).

the only reason i ask is because ivi bridge cpus are supposed to not generate so much heat, so i was wondering. :)

edit: actually in resident evil o.r.c. it doesn't go over 80 degrees.

• Founder
so i guess on all the 3 latest repastes i used a little bit too much icd24 in the cpu. did a fourth one, getting theses temps:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4420[/ATTACH]

now this is what i call mot*&"(f)(/")*(/ idle temps! :D FTW!

Nice! What's the ambient temp?

Sent from my ParanoidAndroid powered GNote

Nice! What's the ambient temp?

Sent from my ParanoidAndroid powered GNote

=)

i had the window open and it must have been aroooound 19degrees C. so it was rather pleasent cold :) now in the mean time it's around 24 degrees C and pretty humid and the idle temps float between 45 to 52 ;-)

what i just don't quite understand is, if you watch the corecloks in HWINFO, even in idle state, they jump to turbo, back to 1198MHz....back up to turbo and back down again. but if i look at the taskmgr, nothing s going on really.

edit: and the cpu load is always 12.5%...while the thing just sits there doing nothing.. :/

post-1903-1449499331085_thumb.jpg

yeah i changed to balanced. core clocks stabilized. it still shows cpu load of ~13.5%

now it's as cold as yesterday, window open. core temp around 50degrees c. i just don't understand whats up ... =/

i will search through the thread you've posted. but the power mode didn't help concerning the temps. hmm. what i wonder about is, since i got those low temps yesterday (not specifically mid 30s... but 40s.) i saw that the system can hold these temps. so i don't see why i get those high temps again now. in similar conditions.

- - - Updated - - -

if i set the fan to 3200 manually in hwinfo the temps settle to a bit under 40 again. but if i set it to systerm auto they go up to close to 50 again. core clocks staying low though. maaan...

Yes just check out my review on HWiNFO in our user review link at top of webpage. In it shows how to set up fan control using either compal or dell ec and how to autostart fans oon a profile witjoht clicking the fan icon in sensor window everytime you open HWiNFO or even better at the start of the computer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I use my own fan profile and since i don't notice the fan noise (used to it) i keep them on high all the time but its automatic so i don't have to bother launching any of it. I hate high temps during normal use id rather low idles and medium average temps under load. My gpu fans wont kick into high i should say medium high because its definitely not max fan until 78c. This under top new games... causes way to much heat to be just building in your gpu and heatsink. When i max the fans on stock 7970m in most games instead of mid to upper 70c i see instead 65-67c. Most other games especially locked on vsync i barely see 50c :) Ive been using HWiNFO fan control since support was added to M17x R2. I live buy it lol. Nice work Mumak. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I use my own fan profile and since i don't notice the fan noise (used to it) i keep them on high all the time but its automatic so i don't have to bother launching any of it. I hate high temps during normal use id rather low idles and medium average temps under load. My gpu fans wont kick into high i should say medium high because its definitely not max fan until 78c. This under top new games... causes way to much heat to be just building in your gpu and heatsink. When i max the fans on stock 7970m in most games instead of mid to upper 70c i see instead 65-67c. Most other games especially locked on vsync i barely see 50c :) Ive been using HWiNFO fan control since support was added to M17x R2. I live buy it lol. Nice work Mumak. ;)

nice! how have you set up your custom auto table? i'm just curious about how other people are doing it hehe :)

on my 14x-r2 i have set the fan pretty much from the beginning to 2500rpm. i can hear the system, but idle temps are around 35 - 40 like that :) now i will play with it on my 17x-r4

• 2 weeks later...

I need a new cooling pad. I keep reusing my m11x's itty bitty rocketfish netbook pad but the footprint is just too darn small for the m14x. I've been using my wallet (physically) to avoid using my "wallet" - I prop it up in front so the base of the pad is flush with that of the m14x. Then I just position the fan under the vent by mounting it on a different area. The redneck solution involves tape, but I'm not that desparate. :) My fan usually won't kick into high gear unless I leave it on my bed or have been playing something like Metro 2033.

lol good idea! I need an actual "desk," mine is a foldable card table at the moment. It's pretty darn sturdy, though. I used to have a CRT tube monitor on there. Now there's a permanent circular indentation in the top. Sometimes I'll prop it up on my old floppy disk container (which is still being used 25 years later)

Hello just just joined in since Ive looked at other forums about this beast and it seems that this forum has the most info:) I would like to ask at the earlier posts it was mentioned that the laptop will shut down when playing unplugged . Has that issue been officially solved ?