OFFICIAL: Alienware M14x / AW 14 Owners Lounge

Brian

I installed Windows 8.1 on my R1 and the only compatibility issue I ran into is that the Alienware Command Center won't install. My sweet keyboard lights are stuck at blue and I can't change them or go dark.

Bad luck, for me the only issue was the webcam that doesn't work since i have updated from Windows 7 to 8. I have also later installed 8.1 and my Alienware Command Center still work.

I think you should try to unstalled it and then reinstalled it, if you have made an update, this may help. But if you have done a new install, then less chance that it helps

I think its a great move with the graphics amplifier. You sort of get everything with alienware 13 + GA without clear sacrifices imo. Obviusly you would get better performance from a desktop or a protable desktop, but most of us want a really portable laptop and not all of us can afford multiple systems. So I think its a great setup. Makes the whole system so much more future proof with the GA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

m14xr2 starts throttling at 67C so that could be you issue; your cpu is running a little hot under idle; should check to see if fan ports need cleaning. You can change the throttling by turning of speed-step in the bios.

• 1 month later...

I bought an m14x r2 and i love the machine! but i hear it throttles the 650m at around 650m, it turns out this is true :/ but it seems to be related to cpu temps of the hd 4000, i disabled turbo mode and it lasted up to 69c before the 650m throttled :/ not good for gamers considering 70c is fine to me, i have a cooling pad.

• 1 month later...

When I play a graphically intense game on the m14x r2 via hdmi or the laptop monitor will the laptop automatically switch over to the gt 650m even though nvidia control panel says the hdmi port and laptop monitor are connected to the intel graphics card?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
When I play a graphically intense game on the m14x r2 via hdmi or the laptop monitor will the laptop automatically switch over to the gt 650m even though nvidia control panel says the hdmi port and laptop monitor are connected to the intel graphics card?

No, you need to assign the applications to a specific graphics card. It does not depend on how much intensity is being used, but which application is being used. You can manually configure such things in the Nvidia control panel if you prefer :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Anybody still using alienware m14x r1? if yes, which 2015-16 new games that are still playable @900p at avg 30 FPS? I might not be able to buy new laptop or build a PC in a year or so, but i am considering to buy and play some recently new games, i have been playing only fallout:NV, skyrim, and overwatch these days :geek:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I just received a Kingston SSD and 2x8gb RAM sticks as well as thermal paste, I'll let you know how the upgrade goes! My rig has served me well but operating in the field of bioanalytical chemistry requires more intensive computational power and my graduate stipend isn't quite enough to order an Origin powerhouse laptop. I looked into replacing the fan to the heatsink, hopefully the upgrade is enough to attenuate the high, but not critical, core temps. 

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

was recently given a bag with the broken parts to a m14x r1 in it. Refurbishing, installation of windows 10, and gameplay are being posted on http://www.youtube.com/sandiegolan now I just need a bios that will let me click "performance options menu" without freezing. Hoping the unlocked one does the trick.

• 2 years later...

Hy, Bought this m14x R1  laptop for my smallest kid. Running win10. Installed Minecraft java edition runs good. But when i try Minecraft Dungeons it crashes with: UE4-Dungeons, searched internet but did not find any good help.

Now i what to get bios update to get full ssd speed.

• 5 months later...