OFFICIAL: Alienware M14x / AW 14 Owners Lounge

Brian

@malakide

Please check is you use the correct GPU. Right Klick on the WOW.EXE and check the context menu.

There is an Entry: on my side in german: Mit Grafikporzessor ausführen > NVIDIA .....

Perhaps your wow application is running with the intel chip. Please check it :)

• 1 month later...

I've had my M14x R2 since Dec 2012. For almost a year I felt like I was duped by Dell for buying their all talk no delivery crap machine. Then I came across this forum while researching how to safely overclock my notebook. Being a complete noob to all of this, as well as bios/vbios flashing I wasn't too sure about taking the risk of bricking my machine. I had bricked a few android phones in my beginning days of rooting and flashing because I would read and do instead of researching and understanding. After joining this forum and learning for quite some time now I feel more comfortable in what I want to do and I think its time to start modding my pc. I wanna say thanks to everyone who has helped or come up with the mods and fixes, asked questions, and posted results. You all make this an amazing forum that I'm glad to be a part of!

I've had my M14x R2 since Dec 2012. For almost a year I felt like I was duped by Dell for buying their all talk no delivery crap machine. Then I came across this forum while researching how to safely overclock my notebook. Being a complete noob to all of this, as well as bios/vbios flashing I wasn't too sure about taking the risk of bricking my machine. I had bricked a few android phones in my beginning days of rooting and flashing because I would read and do instead of researching and understanding. After joining this forum and learning for quite some time now I feel more comfortable in what I want to do and I think its time to start modding my pc. I wanna say thanks to everyone who has helped or come up with the mods and fixes, asked questions, and posted results. You all make this an amazing forum that I'm glad to be a part of!

You can really get the R2 goin..

Here is my HWBot submission:

angerthosenear`s 3DMark11 - Performance score: 3547 marks with a GeForce GT 650M

I had 1271 MHz on the core @ 1.2V. Thermal throttling disabled.

I even beat out a lot of 650M SLI setups ;D ......

--

I would like to get a 3920XM to put in here. I have my 3820QM set to 41x/40x/39x/39x and I still am not running into thermal issues at all. Would easily be able to support an extreme processor.

Optimus is the mechanism that switches between the on-board Intel IGP and the discrete nVidia GPU. Optimus is part of the nVidia graphics driver, not the system or video firmware.

Correct, and with Optimus you really don't need to "switch" between the two graphics processors. There are two ways to determine what GPU is used for an application, either whitelist the application through the NVidia Control Panel (3D Settings), or, by right clicking on the desktop icon and select to "run with Graphics Processor" and select the GPU you wish to run the app with.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all having an issue with my m14xR2. I am running the lastest A13 unlocked Bios set to UEFI only Secure boot and Fast boot OFF. Legacy is also OFF. I am dual booting with Win 8.1 & Linux Mint 16 with the refind EFI bootloader. I use a samsung SSD and the issue i am having is on Cold boot the drive does not pick up in BIOS and after a "control alt del" drive picks up but i have to "f12" to boot the bootloader. Any ideas? faulty SSD, Motherboard,HDD Cable? Bios issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just jumping into the conversation. I hae a M14x R1, just installed a Samsung 840 Evo and looking to see where the limits are on this machine if I decide to start overclocking. Of course for me that means reading and learning from other people's mistakes before I take on a project. My M14x has been pretty problem free since I got it and the only reason I waited to install the SSD was that I was pretty happy with the machine but now, I felt the prices were right to jump into a new harddrive and see what all the talk is about. So I'll be around, reading mostly but I'm looking forward to picking up some new knowledge about overclocking my laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

After 3 years owning my m14xR1 and after having my warranty end I decided to invest some money on my system and I upgraded it a bit.

Corsair Vengeance Performance 16GB DDR3L

Samsung EVO 500GB

New Battery

I couldn't recommend it more, the laptop works like a charm and the difference is incredible (considering you will spend less than $500). Here are some instructions that I find really useful if you are planing on making the SSD jump. Thanks guys for keeping this forum so active.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a lot of people going with the Samsung Evos, I just put one in my nearly 3-year old M14xR1. Couldn't be happier with this laptop, except for the fact that the Alienware 14 I bought for my GF has a touchpad that lights up completely. I'm a bit jealous of that, but really prefer the keyboard on mine, even if the keys do touch the screen a bit when the lid is closed...

• 4 weeks later...

This might be usefully for the new 14 owners, or rather to say something to watch out for.

Had to take the 14 apart, the screen felt a little loose on the right side and it turned out one of the hinges came loose from the base. Nothing really serious and tightening the screws was enough but keep an eye out for it. On the good side it feels even more solid.... and even with the loose hinge it didn't feel flimsy.

The ones with the red circle were loose:

fuw3k2.jpg

My 14 is about a year old now, it's used on a daily basis and get's closed and opened quite often. Still it's kinda weird the screws already came loose, though it's nothing mayor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I like to think of it as my "other" desktop that I can carry around and hook up to other monitors that much easier. This thing does everything I generally need from a comp.

Agreed! I'm in the process of building a NZXT/EVGA desktop, but I'm not carrying that Phantom 820 tower around anywhere! The m14x has been a great machine for me for the past few years of daily use. No laptop can go toe to toe with a primo desktop, but as far as laptops go, the m14x is everything I could ever want.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im pretty new to this forum so let me start with a question: i would like to use my M14x as my main workstation connected to my tv and controlled by wireless mouse + keyboard. Its pretty annoying to stand up, open my tv locker, turn on the laptop, so i wondered if it is possible to power on the M14x with my wireless keyboard. does anybody know if the A08 has such a setting?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to this site, I currently have the AW 14 but I'm thinking about buying the new AW13 with graphics amplifier, is it really a smart choice or I need to wait until this new technology is proven safe.