dGPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 2GB

eGPU: Gainward NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB

Guide:

1. Remove dGPU nvidia drivers

2. Boot into BIOS and change graphics mode to integrated graphics

3. Install Setup 1.30

4. Insert the EXP GDC v7/6 into the mPCIe port and connect the power etc

4. Boot into Setup 1.30 and select the third option

5. Change to chain loader from mbr2 to mbr, initialize egpu and run pci compaction with iGPU and eGPU

6. Save then reboot

7. Boot into OS :joyous:

EXP GDC V7 + enclosure pics + comments in spoiler

haFpnz7.jpg

BZaUBw6.jpg

nYRwGTI.jpg

Vokl7DI.jpg

This is everything that is included in the package without retail packaging. (Enclosure and ATX power cable was an additional purchase)

eOuUbSB.jpg

This is my current setup. For now I'm using an ATX until my Dell DA-2 arrives.

KzadBnG.jpg

As you can see here the light in the EXP GDC v7 is green

iRlWxmM.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

thanks for the pictures!.you have an x1.2 optimus cabapable system.you should see a big increase of performance in dx9 apllications by dissabling the dgpu.when have time ,please make some dx9 -dx11 benchmarks.is not looking bad at all.when you take out the atx psu will have a more portabilty

Sure, ill do some 3dmark 11 tomorrow and see. What scores you recon i should expect?

these are mine:http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7479-%5Bguide%5D-15-msi-ge620dx-gtx750ti%40x1-2opt-pe4h-2-4-mpcie-win7-64-a.html#post102604

you can make an idea,but you graphic is more powerfull so you should see an increasing.

Finally got the benchmarks :D

s6c6dGT.png

3DMark 2006 @ 1920x1080

Y2jfNqR.png

3DMark 11 @ 1920x1080

AwcIBFY.png

• Thumbs Up 1

If you include your pics at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-383.html#post108090 , a brief writeup of the steps you did and add 3dmark06 and 3dmark11/13 performance runs at default resolutions then I can add your implementations to http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#dx11 . Yours would be one of the first EXP GDC V7 ones and includes exclusive enclosure photos.

Sure, ill make a guide and post it to this thread

• Thumbs Up 1

Sure, ill make a guide and post it to this thread

Excellent. I've split off the discussion from the DIY eGPU thread into a WIP guide. Feel free to populate and when done will shuttle it off into the new GUIDES subsection. That way your implementation can inspire others to perhaps do the same, or go further? These contributions being key in moving DIY eGPU forward.

• 1 month later...

@jjmuffins , would you mind doing 3dmark06, 3dmark11 (performance) and 3dmark13 Firestrike benchmark runs and post the links to the results page? I'd like to add you to the correct spot in http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html but need this additional info to do so.

Thank you

@Tech Inferno Fan Sure thing, just got the results but I realised that the Acer Aspire 5755G has overheating issues... that would explain the terrible scores, also I noticed in HWMonitor my temperature is always 80 degrees, that aside everything is fine in performance manager

Web result: 3DMark 11 [720p]

osavtNe.png

Web result: 3DMark 11 [1080p]

pxaEHQv.png

Web result: 3DMark Vantage [720p]

7ZAuAMB.png

Web result: 3DMark Vantage [1080p]

wfRtliP.png

3DMark 06 [720p]

xffJIYi.png

3DMark 06 [1080p]

Jk5JsJ9.png

Notice how in 3DMark 06, the 1080p result is higher than 720p... interesting

• Thumbs Up 1

@Tech Inferno Fan Sure thing, just got the results but I realised that the Acer Aspire 5755G has overheating issues... that would explain the terrible scores, also I noticed in HWMonitor my temperature is always 80 degrees, that aside everything is fine in performance manager

Thank you for posting these. Unfortunately the overheating issue is skewing the results such that they can't be used for comparison purposes.

Have you checked your CPU heatsink, replacing the thermal paste if necessary and cleaned the CPU fan? Correcting both should fix your overheating issue and then give accurate results. Your 3dmark06 should be near on 20k when all sorted.

• 10 months later...

thanks for sharing,

i have almost same model with your notebook(5750g), my notebook motherboard model is p5we0 and probably it is same with yours but my processor and ram different from yours.

these are i7 2670qm and 6 gb ram. ı use exp gdc and win 7 too but i get error code 12. have you any idea about this? or how do ı fix it?

• 9 months later...

Hello guys! thanks for sharing your experience with this awesome project :)
may I ask some help to get this working? I have an acer 5755G, but different model than yours, mine has an i5-2450M and GT-630m

I'm running akbar's mod bios 1.21, which gives me more control on settings, and I thought that with it I could easily get eGPU working. well, it wasn't true.

I'm trying with a 500w PSU, the GDC beast mPCIe and a GTX650.

I'm not using nando's software and I'm writing here to understand if it would solve my problems, since you may have had same ones without setup 1.30, or I can solve without buying it

As I boot with pci plugged screen stays black and gpu fan start spinning at mid speed.

if I boot win10 and hotplug pci it disables trackpad and keyboard, but system works. I can use windows with a usb mouse. but still no gpu recognized, though its fan start to spin at full power (?)

now...I have lots of settings in my bios, I tried to play but nothing works. can you please help me?  thank you in advance.

I'm asking because pay for a useless software wouldn't be nice :) I will buy it if works for me