eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Ok, so fist thing you'll need to download these two files

Zippyshare.com - iasl-win-20120620.7z (iasl)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/c/1/2c16c7e0-96c1-40f5-81fc-3e4bf7b65496/microsoft_asl_compiler-v4-0-0.msi (ASL)

Then follow this video tutorial

You'll need the following to be pasted into your DSDT.dsl table:

QWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,

0x0000000000000000, // Granularity

0x0000000C20000000, // Range Minimum, set it to 48.5GB

0x0000000E0FFFFFFF, // Range Maximum, set it to 56.25GB

0x0000000000000000, // Translation Offset

0x00000001F0000000, // Length calculated by Range Max - Range Min.

,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

Be sure to past it at the end of all the DWords of the search "Device (PCI0)" of the extracted DSDT.dsl table you have.

Once finished just load the table with the asl command.

Follow both this http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html#dsdtoverride tutorial and the video link and you'll be done.

the second download doesn't work

Performance q's relative to desktop are answered on first post. Please review. No ultrabay eGPU implemented as yet and AFAIK nobody has created any sort of adapter to make it even possible.

The Y500 schematic has caught my interest. It is almost as if they are suggesting the mPCIe port is a x2 2.0 link. Certainly. mPCIe does make allowance for a second channel but no vendor has used that as yet. PCI Express Mini Card (Mini PCIe) pinout diagram @ pinoutsguide.com . As a first step, I'd suggest running say AIDA and seeing if its reporting any of the southbridge ports as x2. That would be a good sign that perhaps Lenovo have indeed provided a x2 capable mPCIe port. If not, then I'd suggest walking away from further investigation as an x2 electrical link would need to exist, a x2-enablling bios mod made AND x2 mPCIe eGPU adapter manufacturered. That would be time consuming an costly to do. Better to just get a Thunderbolt notebook and call it a day.

post-26519-14494997709929_thumb.jpg

It doesnt seem to use the PCIe 2.0 x2 link.

So should i go forward with the eGPU?

It doesnt seem to use the PCIe 2.0 x2 link.

So should i go forward with the eGPU?

If your system has an active igpu, then consider an NVIDIA egpu at x1.2Opt link speed (x1 pcie compression engaged). If there is no igpu then I'd suggest look at a SLI ultrabay dgpu config instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mmh I'm running out of ideas sorry. A last try could to be to download this version of iasl. If no effects please wait for someone else to provide some help.

Yeah, the current release is what I was running. Thank you for your help.

Ok, so fist thing you'll need to download these two files

Zippyshare.com - iasl-win-20120620.7z (iasl)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/c/1/2c16c7e0-96c1-40f5-81fc-3e4bf7b65496/microsoft_asl_compiler-v4-0-0.msi (ASL)

Then follow this video tutorial

You'll need the following to be pasted into your DSDT.dsl table:

QWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,

0x0000000000000000, // Granularity

0x0000000C20000000, // Range Minimum, set it to 48.5GB

0x0000000E0FFFFFFF, // Range Maximum, set it to 56.25GB

0x0000000000000000, // Translation Offset

0x00000001F0000000, // Length calculated by Range Max - Range Min.

,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

Be sure to past it at the end of all the DWords of the search "Device (PCI0)" of the extracted DSDT.dsl table you have.

Once finished just load the table with the asl command.

Follow both this http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html#dsdtoverride tutorial and the video link and you'll be done.

I'm sorry, the issue was all my fault. The version you linked works, not the newest

I have a Toshiba Satellite p775-s7215. *windows 7 x64

*intel core i7-2630qm with intel HD 3000

*2x4GB Corsair RAM

*external gpu to use is a EVGA geforce gt 630

*egpu adapter: PE4H-PM3N ver2.4

*PSU: corsair cx430

the only mPCIe port is the wifi port underneath the keyboard.

I have everthing connected and after powering on, all of the leds on the adapter turn green and both of the fans on the PSU and GPU start up.

However, windows does not detect the device in the DM.

Is it due to mpcie whitelisting? or is it due to something else? Do I need the setup 1.x?

any thoughts or recommendations?

I have a Toshiba Satellite p775-s7215.

*windows 7 x64

*intel core i7-2630qm with intel HD 3000

*2x4GB Corsair RAM

*external gpu to use is a EVGA geforce gt 630

*egpu adapter: PE4H-PM3N ver2.4

*PSU: corsair cx430

the only mPCIe port is the wifi port underneath the keyboard.

I have everthing connected and after powering on, all of the leds on the adapter turn green and both of the fans on the PSU and GPU start up.

However, windows does not detect the device in the DM.

Is it due to mpcie whitelisting? or is it due to something else? Do I need the setup 1.x?

any thoughts or recommendations?

- - - Updated - - -

I did just notice that the D1 led is not illuminated at all

Dell Latitude owners with dynamic TOLUD take note. Just saw the following nugget posted by @Khenglish here, quoted below, that may explain something that was a bit of a mystery. In my implementation http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-%5Bguide%5D-12-dell-e6230-gtx660%40x1-2opt-hd7870%40x1-2-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html#post37197 , I upped my RAM from 4GB->8GB and then booted with the eGPU detected by the bios, ie: turned eGPU on before booting the system. This sequence of events saw the TOLUD change from 3.5GB to 3.25GB. The RAM upgrade along with attached eGPU being the trigger needed to change TOLUD.

Pulling the CMOS battery on a modern system doesn't do much more than reset the system clock. Pull a memory stick or do some other hardware change and boot it. A hardware change will trigger a reset of the NVRAM.

Hopefully you did not brick it when you tried to flash it in this state. Trying that was not a good idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, first i'm an absolutely newbie in egpu-solutions. So my problem is simple: it just don't work and I have no idea why :)

My setup is a MacBook 15" early 2011 -> Sonnet Thunderbolt-Adapter -> PE4L Ver2.4 -> GeForce GTX 285

I tried it to get it working in OSX 10.9.3 and Windows 8.1. result: OSX -> kernel panic, Windows -> freeze (hotplug) & display black (connected before start)

In Windows the MacBook's GPU is disabled and the gtx 285 is installed. all delay mods tried -> no differents

Is there anyone who had an easy howto ?

here my setup and a "screenshot" of setup 1.3

post-26753-1449499774778_thumb.jpg

post-26753-144949977453_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

I've been reading much on this thread and doing a lot of research in the forums.

My current set up is:-

Lenovo X230 16gb ram

GTX 660 + EXP GDC

I would like to know theres anyone with this set up can share their experiences. I had a hard time today trying to set it up.

My Story:

First I didn't plug in the expresscard deep enough so it wasn't running. After figuring out how to plug it in, I installed a new BIOS (because apparently X230 new bios fixes memory issues) and had the card inserted during reboot! Needless to say, that didn't go very well laptop didn't boot up with beeping noise when touch the power button). I thought for sure I bricked the laptop. But then I took out the battery and waited a few minutes then booted it up, it miraculously ran again!! That was miracle number 1.

When it booted, I reinstalled BIOS again the right way this time (with everything unplugged!) Plugged in the GDC it still didn't work this time it says "Code 12"

Did a little searching on Code 12 and came across a DSDT override on the memory. I tried that, pasted the Qmemory thing and rebooted. BAM BSOD before windows boots!

I thought okay, for sure I was Fked this time. Rebooted and tried rebooting to "Last known good configuration" Worked like a charm! Miracle number 2.

By this time you have to understand, I was too scared to go on messing anything to do with BIOS or memory. I'm usually very adventurous with changing things on the computer that is unfamiliar to me, but 2 Miracles boots back into workable windows is enough heart attack for one day.

TLDR: laptop came back to life twice, i've decided not to have anymore heart attacks

So blablabla I read someone had a trick with his X230T, He would unplug the monitor from the GFX, and booted the laptop with EXP GDC plugged in. Once it goes into desktop, plug the HDMI back into the card and voila it works!

I tried that and voila! it worked!! no more memory problem!!

Or so I thought,

After testing and gaming, I ejected the GDC whilst still on, BAM BSOD again. I guess I'm not supposed to do that? (what happened to plug and play?)

Anyhow, My problem is when I boot with GDC plugged in, laptop seems to boot really slow compared to without GDC. Boot up and launching programs seems slower as well. After testing games with Bioshock Infinite and Arkham City, I'm not getting the framerates I had hoped for (the framerates a lot of people are reporting to get are all ULTRA on BF3 and it runs smooth) On Bioshock Infinite, its can still get quite choppy even with AA turned off and normal shadows (ULTRA texture detail 720p)

I'm guessing its still the unsolved memory issue bogging me down. Can anyone help me with this?

Hey guys

I recently got very interested in eGPU projects, and maybe would start one in the near future, and preferably a Thunderbolt one.

Now, it seems like Intel is refusing to certify products like the Silverstone T004 and BPlus TH05 which would make all of our lives a little bit easier.

I was wondering however, whether the following suggestion would be feasible to implement by BPlus (as I understand correctly, they cooperate with this community to make eGPU happen) and as a Thunderbolt eGPU solution as a whole:

Let BPlus design a circuitboard like they do now with, but instead of one PCIe slot, a second PCIe slot that could be used to plug in something like this: Thunderbolt PCIe card

This way, they don't have to certify anything by Intel, and we get to buy a "cheap" add-in card.

Would this kind of thing work? When plugging a Thunderbolt laptop into the port, would it recognize that there is GPU running next to it?

Just an idea I'm throwing around, and sorry if this came by before. :beguiled: I'd like to test this myself, but I have neither the equipment, the time or money to invest in this right now.

Cheers!

Hey guys

I recently got very interested in eGPU projects, and maybe would start one in the near future, and preferably a Thunderbolt one.

Now, it seems like Intel is refusing to certify products like the Silverstone T004 and BPlus TH05 which would make all of our lives a little bit easier.

I was wondering however, whether the following suggestion would be feasible to implement by BPlus (as I understand correctly, they cooperate with this community to make eGPU happen) and as a Thunderbolt eGPU solution as a whole:

Let BPlus design a circuitboard like they do now with, but instead of one PCIe slot, a second PCIe slot that could be used to plug in something like this: Thunderbolt PCIe card

This way, they don't have to certify anything by Intel, and we get to buy a "cheap" add-in card.

Would this kind of thing work? When plugging a Thunderbolt laptop into the port, would it recognize that there is GPU running next to it?

Just an idea I'm throwing around, and sorry if this came by before. :beguiled: I'd like to test this myself, but I have neither the equipment, the time or money to invest in this right now.

Cheers!

Replied in a new thread http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6903-%5Bguide%5D-making-us%2468-thunderboltex-ii-pcie-based-tb2-egpu-adapter.html#post94832

Small update to this post: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-319.html#post94499

Like many others, I've removed one stick of 8GB RAM on my X230 and now it works smoothly.

But I had hoped this wouldn't be the best solution because I obviously need 16GB of RAM for my work and removing the RAM everytime I want to game is more hassle than it should be.

My steps currently:

Shut Down

Remove 8GB Ram.

Plug in E-GPU without HDMI monitor

Boot up

once in Desktop, plug in HDMI.

VOILA! working smooth desktop and boot up, smooth gameplay.

Now to questions:

1) When boot up with E-GPU I realized the laptop starts, shutdown right before splash screen, then starts back up again on itself. Whats happening there?

2) Only thing I'm missing now is to get Setup 1.x. But I don't understand the application of it, after compacting, does it reduce my RAM usage to 8GB through software? Please explain in baby terms...

3) also, will Setup 1.x help my case? I've read quite a bit of X230 users have similar setup but theirs is plug and play. One of the reasons I bought this laptop is so I can plug and play but now it seems like much hassle.

4) Lastly maybe not related but with the steps I did above, the GPU kinda makes a little clicking noise when I fire up a game that I didn't realize from before. (it might have just been the positioning of the gpu that made it so, will look into this further)

Very intersting find Nando, thanks!

When I read the name on Amazon.com I believe they are split, not routed (if I interpret it correctly). What would be the consequence if they appear to be routed instead of split?

Edit:

Looking at the specifications of the Asus PCIe card (and HP also has one), they each require a header to be connected to the motherboard, only available on certain motherboards... So I guess this would be a dead-end as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.