eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

The red LED never switches off, even with No Delay set...

Still same problems as mentioned before.

Set SW1=1 and hotplug, halt Win7/8 loading with F8/F12 and hotplug the eGPU.

Black screen

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Set SW1=3 (6.9s PCI Reset Delay) and SW2=2-3 (x16 slot). Power on the eGPU slightly before powering on the notebook. Hit F8/F12 to halt Win7/8 loading. A RED PERST# LED will show on the PE4L while the delay is active. Once RED LED switches off continue loading Win7/8. This is the mechanism used to avoid a BIOS seeing an eGPU and halting with a black screen on bootup.

Does anyone know if the 2560p has the same 5gbps as the 2570p?

Yes, 2560P is a Sandy Bridge notebook. It also has a 5Gbps expresscard slot and a socketted CPU (though limited to Sandy Bridge series). All Sandy/Ivy and Haswell systems have 5Gbps expresscard/mPCIe slots. See http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html for a list of good eGPU candidates.

A 2570P improves on the 2560P by offering an Ivy Bridge CPU (+upgrade path), has USB 3.0 ports, RAID capability across storage and use magnets rather than hooks to secure the LCD to the base enclosure and unwhitelisted wifi capability. I believe a 2570P systemboard would be a 100% perfect fit into a 2560P chassis and vice versa.

See http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge.html#post33901 for pics, details and full upgrade potential details.

Set SW1=3 (6.9s PCI Reset Delay) and SW2=2-3 (x16 slot). Power on the eGPU slightly before powering on the notebook. Hit F8/F12 to halt Win7/8 loading. A RED PERST# LED will show on the PE4L while the delay is active. Once RED LED switches off continue loading Win7/8. This is the mechanism used to avoid a BIOS seeing an eGPU and halting with a black screen on bootup.

Yes, 2560P is a Sandy Bridge notebook. It also has a 5Gbps expresscard slot and a socketted CPU (though limited to Sandy Bridge series). All Sandy/Ivy and Haswell systems have 5Gbps expresscard/mPCIe slots. See http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html for a list of good eGPU candidates.

A 2570P improves on the 2560P by offering an Ivy Bridge CPU (+upgrade path), has USB 3.0 ports, RAID capability across storage and use magnets rather than hooks to secure the LCD to the base enclosure and unwhitelisted wifi capability. I believe a 2570P systemboard would be a 100% perfect fit into a 2560P chassis and vice versa.

See http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2537-12-5-hp-elitebook-2570p-owners-lounge.html#post33901 for pics, details and full upgrade potential details.

if i go with the 2560p i think th i7 2860qm will be enough for me for the next 3 years (mostly office type of work), i am mostly concerned about the screen (which hasn't changed from either series), so it is basically down to the IPS x230 with a soldered processor (bummer) or this, i really like nice screens, really sucks HP can't be modded.

if i go with the 2560p i think th i7 2860qm will be enough for me for the next 3 years (mostly office type of work), i am mostly concerned about the screen (which hasn't changed from either series), so it is basically down to the IPS x230 with a soldered processor (bummer) or this, i really like nice screens, really sucks HP can't be modded.

Yeah.. the 2560P/2570P LCD is the only pitfall. Unfortunately attempts to mod in a X220/X230 IPS one have been unsuccessful due to LCD bezel clearance. Still, I'd take a 2560P/2570P over a X220/X230 anyday. Vastly superior build quality and the upgradable CPU being key highlights. A i7 2860qm CPU will be nearly twice faster CPU than anything you could get in a X220/X230.

Consider Crack in X220 casing + poor support - Page 3 - Lenovo Community . I'm surprised Lenovo claims business grade build as there's plenty of X220/X230 units on ebay whose chassis is already disintegrating AND whose owners have had problems with Lenovo honoring the warranty as that link shows.

If you look back at say a 2530P vs X200 or 2540P vs X201. You'll find ebay examples of the used HP units looking significantly better (close to new in some cases) than their Lenovo counterparts. The Lenovos show significant wear across the top cover, palmrest, mouse buttons and keyboard.

You won't see straight commentary like this about failing Lenovo build quality on a competing website sponsored by Lenovo. That competing website takes measures to censor such comments to ensure revenue for them both. Those poor-built Lenovos being a constant stay in their top 50 list of most popular notebooks.

Yeah.. the 2560P/2570P LCD is the only pitfall. Unfortunately attempts to mod in a X220/X230 IPS one have been unsuccessful due to LCD bezel clearance. Still, I'd take a 2560P/2570P over a X220/X230 anyday. Vastly superior build quality and the upgradable CPU being key highlights. A i7 2860qm CPU will be nearly twice faster CPU than anything you could get in a X220/X230.

Consider Crack in X220 casing + poor support - Page 3 - Lenovo Community . I'm surprised Lenovo claims business grade build as there's plenty of X220/X230 units on ebay whose chassis is already disintegrating AND whose owners have had problems with Lenovo honoring the warranty as that link shows.

If you look back at say a 2530P vs X200 or 2540P vs X201. You'll find ebay examples of the used HP units looking significantly better (close to new in some cases) than their Lenovo counterparts. The Lenovos show significant wear across the top cover, palmrest, mouse buttons and keyboard.

You won't see straight commentary like this about failing Lenovo build quality on a competing website sponsored by Lenovo. That competing website takes measures to censor such comments to ensure revenue for them both. Those poor-built Lenovos being a constant stay in their top 50 list of most popular notebooks.

Yeah i read up a lot about cracking on the x series from various sources, i had a T series notebook, T60p, just died on me last week, read another recent thread in the lenovo section at NBR about someone who also had cracking issues in their T series, the person nearly got trolled for bashing the build quality on thinkpads, but in all honesty, the newer series uses way inferior materials, and you really can't go wrong with the elitebooks durability. i don't think TP are what people make them out to be anymore, especially with the ridiculous pricing on the new lineup, looked at the T440p, but i figured if i am going to spend 1k+ on a laptop, i better expect similar build quality to apple, but that's just not something you will find so not worth my money. The only thing they basically got going for them is the nice displays they offer in my opinion.

I think he talked about his laptop dGPU not eGPU, And you said to him once that a iGPU isn't routed to internal LCD on his m15x, so I guess he has to get a new gpu as I5 540m's gpu won't

work to replace it.

@Tech Inferno Fan Which one is better between EXP GDC and NP XGP?

Can I use the 220W adapter that came bundled with EXP GDC to power Nvidia GTX 760 without needing external power supply?

Would you recommend getting either one of those or buy PE4L/PE4H by Bplus?

One more thing, how usable would WiGig for eGPU implementation and what kind of performance can we expect from that kind of setup?

I'm sorry if I ask too many silly question, thanks

@Tech Inferno Fan Which one is better between EXP GDC and NP XGP?

Can I use the 220W adapter that came bundled with EXP GDC to power Nvidia GTX 760 without needing external power supply?

Would you recommend getting either one of those or buy PE4L/PE4H by Bplus?

One more thing, how usable would WiGig for eGPU implementation and what kind of performance can we expect from that kind of setup?

I'm sorry if I ask too many silly question, thanks

I recommend neither. Both are marketting stolen IP from our work with neither contributing anything meaningful to the DIY eGPU community. Neither has a PCI Reset Delay mechanism.

I'd suggest getting a PE4L 2.1b to tide you over or if can wait, see what the new PE4L/PE4H product will be come Feb-March 2014: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/5470-q-what-do-you-want-next-bplus-pe4l-pe4h-egpu-adapter.html .

WiGig? Running over Air (WiGig) adds an extra layer of complexity as well as cost, though can see the benefit if have a mPCIe-only system where wiring up to the slot may be difficult.

This didn't work either. As long as the ExpressCard adapter is plugged into the laptop the red PERST LED never turns off.

Ask for a replacement unit from BPlus. RED LED should go off after the countdown delay timer has timed out.

• Thumbs Up 2

hi all,

my goal is to use my gtx 760 in the sonnet chassis. i have been reading a lot in other forum threads on working solutions for this constellation - but still i am stuck, and i think pretty close to the end of the process.

my setup:

- macbook pro 15'' mid 2011, macbook air 11'' 2013

- sonnet echo express SE II

- OSX Mavericks

- Windows 7, Windows 8

with nandos help i was able to work around some obstacles already and i have tried many constellations of everything , but i cannot seem to get past the point where windows 8 aborts the installation.

here is what i am doing: i am booting windows 8 pro (not 8.1) from dvd in EFI mode and follow the instructions until the setup copies all files to the HDD. at the end of the process the install assistant is trying to "finalize" the installation, and prompts me with a message box saying "cannot update the boot configuration".

i have tried several partition setups, leaving 50GiB unpartitioned for the w8 setup to pick it up - i have even wiped the entire HDD solely for windows 8 use. still same issue.

appreciate any help here.

thanks a million

chris

Has anyone tried using diy egpu on 4th gen intel laptops?

We can use the 2013 Macbook Air as an example showing the x1.2Opt functionality does work (internal LCD mode and x1 pci-e compression) with a 4th gen CPU equipped system: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4271-2013-11-macbook-air-win7-sonnet-echo-expresscard-pe4l-internal-lcd-%5Bus%24250%5D.html#post59391

Though there's only a handful of expresscard equipped 4th gen notebook available : http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list-%5Bthin-light%5D.html#post57159 . 2nd/3rd gen having far more expresscard systems.

hi all,

my goal is to use my gtx 760 in the sonnet chassis. i have been reading a lot in other forum threads on working solutions for this constellation - but still i am stuck, and i think pretty close to the end of the process.

my setup:

- macbook pro 15'' mid 2011, macbook air 11'' 2013

- sonnet echo express SE II

- OSX Mavericks

- Windows 7, Windows 8

with nandos help i was able to work around some obstacles already and i have tried many constellations of everything , but i cannot seem to get past the point where windows 8 aborts the installation.

here is what i am doing: i am booting windows 8 pro (not 8.1) from dvd in EFI mode and follow the instructions until the setup copies all files to the HDD. at the end of the process the install assistant is trying to "finalize" the installation, and prompts me with a message box saying "cannot update the boot configuration".

i have tried several partition setups, leaving 50GiB unpartitioned for the w8 setup to pick it up - i have even wiped the entire HDD solely for windows 8 use. still same issue.

appreciate any help here.

thanks a million

chris

You've stated you've wiped the SSD/HDD clean to facilitate the installation. In some cases I found it necessary to completely wipe the disk, that meaning writing junk to sector 0 to erase all previous bootsector data. I boot Linux and just use 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/xxxx bs=64k count=200' to do it.

If you are using a HDD then another way of getting Win8 installed is to use a surrogate PC system to do the install. Remove the HDD and install it in the PC notebook, boot the Win8 USB stick in UEFI mode and install away.

hey nando,

so i have taken the SSD out of the macbook pro, adding in a 2,5'' HDD that never had a different formatting than fat32. tried installing w8 - same issue at the same spot.

i have tried to load my MBP with ubuntu via USB, but it will boot until it starts to load the kernel, then the graphics look really weird on the display and the laptop wont boot any further.

unfortunately i dont have a PC handy to do the install. also i would have liked to use the egpu with my macbook air, where i cannot swap hard drives..

i guess i am running out of options...

thanks

hey nando,

so i have taken the SSD out of the macbook pro, adding in a 2,5'' HDD that never had a different formatting than fat32. tried installing w8 - same issue at the same spot.

i have tried to load my MBP with ubuntu via USB, but it will boot until it starts to load the kernel, then the graphics look really weird on the display and the laptop wont boot any further.

unfortunately i dont have a PC handy to do the install. also i would have liked to use the egpu with my macbook air, where i cannot swap hard drives..

i guess i am running out of options...

thanks

As we've discussed over email, you have either a UEFI or the MBR/BIOS (bootcamp) installation option. UEFI is giving you problems. BIOS/MBR is how you had it originally and the OS worked. However for the eGPU to work under BIOS/MBR mode you need add ina a pci-e riser cable to provide a PCI Reset Delay mechanism. Without it the Apple firmware will simply shutdown the machine if it detects an eGPU on boot and won't allow you to power on the eGPU and get it detected after BIOS/MBR booting the OS.

The modification to the pci-e riser is described as part of the whole solution at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4570-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-rmbp-gtx660-sonnet-echo-express-se-%40-10gbps.html#post63754 .

Yes i get that, i was trying for EFI install following your statement that it might be a plug & play option. For some reason that option does not work out for me..

So it looks like this to me:

- Either i am stuck with Windows 8 that is not going to finish the install in EFI mode

- Or a more or less complex soldering job with a impractical setup to me (an external PSU and the eGPU placed on top of the case)

If there are no other options i think this might have been it. appreciated all your help here, but i have no clue what to do now...

Hi everyone!

Got new pe4l 2.1b today, now I'm stucked on making my Lifebook T900 detect it. If someone could help, here's what I have:

1. HIPRO 500w PSU

2. GTX 560

3.pe4l 2.1b

This is what I've done:

1. Connected PSU and p3mn.

2. Connected two 6-pin PSU wires to the graphic card.

3. Connected 4-pin floppy and 2-pin wires to PE4L

4. Turned PSU on (all fans start spinning). Green and Red lights turned on (probably the yellow turned too, it's hard to see it)

5. Turned T900 on

Then nothing happens. Nothing pop's up and nothing appears in device manager. When I try to install nvidia drivers it tells me I don't have any compatible device. All I noticed is when I pull out express card the Red light turns off. I checked BIOS and haven't found anything about express card. By the way, I didn't touch those two switches on PE4L, probably I missed something? Help please.

Those would probably work. But note those are PCI not PCIe so you would have to use older cards. Can't really help you for suggestions.

Well, I've gone with the DIY eGPU as described in this forum and have gathered up the bits. My requirements are to run MS Train Simulator and MS Flight Sim X.

I've got:

Toshiba Sateliite L300 Win7, 32, i4 Internal gpu with Express card slot

PE4H ver.2.4 with EC2C,

PCIEMM-060B cable,

External 5V/12V power supply cable x1,

SWEX,

Asus Nvidia ENGTS450 GPU,

scavenged 250W Dell PSU

27" Dell monitor.

I'm not sure how to wire it all up yet, I've been searching hundreds of pages here looking for wiring details because I don't want to fry anything but I haven't found a picture yet..

I'm not sure if I need to power the Asus GPU AND the PE4H?. I sure don't want to over-volt it and fry anything?

When I find out how to wire it I'll give it a go.

comparison between GTX670 PowerEdition MSI TFIV vs GTX680 OC MSI TFIV. i5-3230M+BF4+medium+FHD+64x64+blockade.

few pages ago I mentioned that there is no difference between GTX670 with M and QM CPU, and unfortunatelly probably the same situation will be here, cause this GPU are very similar.

Pity there is no differences between GTX670 and GTX680.

post-10292-14494996725829_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 3

But there is a one difference. Core load playing on i5 is not so stable loaded as during i7QM. It should improve min and avg fps in playing, theoretically.

First plot: GTX670 on i5M vs i7QM, BF4, FHD, medium, 32x32, blockade.

post-10292-14494996727276_thumb.png

Second plot: GTX670 vs GTX680 on i5M, BF4, FHD, medium, 64x64, blockade.

post-10292-14494996726547_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 1

@cheRRymonk, are you hotplugging the eGPU after windows welcome screen, or from the start? Just make sure that you have yellow and green light when you're plugging it not the red light. Did you run a PCI compaction, or DSDT override?

@UPsimmer4330 you have to plug all wires together (I don't think I'm any help sorry, let's say than you have a 6 pin for the GPU, a 4 pin from the PE4L to the GPU, 4 pin for PSU and GPU and the 12 pin for the switch which came with your PE4L, once all this wired together, you'll have to turn he setup all at once by flipping the switch on the piece where you plugged the 12 pin.

If you succeed you must try to play with the switches on the PE4L until you have the yellow and green ligthts

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.