eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

hello guys!

i read a whole lot about the egpu stuff now,

i have a clevo p170em, and it has a free mpci slot, for the msata ssd and such,

i would like to hook up a nvidia card so i can use opt x1.2,

so i have to buy the pe4l adaptor.

is the nvidia driver not going 2 interfere with the amd driver?

do i have to check anything else? the tolud shouldnt be an issue 4 me

(16gb ram 2x8, and 7970m)

hello guys!

i read a whole lot about the egpu stuff now,

i have a clevo p170em, and it has a free mpci slot, for the msata ssd and such,

i would like to hook up a nvidia card so i can use opt x1.2,

so i have to buy the pe4l adaptor.

is the nvidia driver not going 2 interfere with the amd driver?

do i have to check anything else? the tolud shouldnt be an issue 4 me

(16gb ram 2x8, and 7970m)

AMD and NVidia driver co-exist without problems.

Check that you have a free wifi (pci-e) slot. mSATA cannot be used.

Ensure you get a PE4L-PMxxx 2.1b. It uses a soldered cable. Necessary to get Gen2 speed.

Note: unless you have an active iGPU on your system you won't be able to run x1.2Opt (x1 pci-e compression + internal LCD mode). NVidia have restricted the driver with that requirement. If you have no iGPU then an AMD eGPU will give better performance. REF: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-%5Bguide%5D-12-dell-e6230-gtx660@[email protected] for performance analysis x1.2Opt versus x1 2.0 using a GTX660 and HD7870.

Hey Nando,

Is the x1 pci-e compression only for Direct X 9 ???

What about DX 10 and 11?

The x1 pci-e compression is active for for DX10 and DX11 also but has little if any performance benefit, especially for DX11. See for yourself by comparing the x1 2.0 and x1.2Opt GTX660 results at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-%5Bguide%5D-12-dell-e6230-gtx660%40x1-2opt-hd7870%40x1-2-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html#post37197 .

It's for that reason why it's preferrable to run a native 10Gbps Thunderbolt eGPU enclosure rather than a 5Gbps TB->Expresscard one when using a 10Gbps Thunderbolt port. See performance comparison of both solutions at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3062-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-mbp-gtx660ti-hd7870%40x2-2-th05.html#post42483 [spoiler: DX9 is comparable but DX10/11 surges ahead with a 10Gbps link. Internal LCD mode also see better performance with a 10Gbps link].

Some update, I'm using a older driver so my card is voltage locked at 1.119 so I couldn't get any higher, but

this shappire dual-x is a really great overclocker, it stays at 54c the whole test at 1200/1550. I probably could push it further if

you want me to test it, I'll just have to unlock it. I also ordered a 2630QM and a ssd (not really latest tho), so I could test it then.

Here are the latest benchs of 3dmark11 at VDDC 1119 (1.12V):

8268 @ 1000/1425 : AMD Radeon HD 7970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2540M Processor,Hewlett-Packard 162B

8961 @ 1100/1500 : AMD Radeon HD 7970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2540M Processor,Hewlett-Packard 162B

8908 @ 1100/1550 : Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Unknown,

9458 @ 1200/1559 : Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Unknown,

3dmark06 :

18891 @ 1200/1550: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/17455121

drq.png

I'd like to stress that this is entire built is from used parts,

2560p at 380$ shipped (60$ international shipping),

7970 at 257$ (we have high taxes here),

old 400W from relative unknown company (ezcool) salvaged from a old pc, you can probably buy a equal one at 25$-50$

ordered a 2630QM at 120$ shipped from ebay.

Then you get a really kick ass portable machine for around 750$.

Considering I sold my old 6870 card which was just unused at my desktop to get this 7970 at 142$, and I'll sell this cpu at around 70$,

I would have only spent 500$!

At first I wanted to buy a sager W230ST, which would have cost me 1428$ shipped here with a cheapest quad core,

which is heavier, has worse batter life & built, and even less resale value (where I live) ,and I got this awesome laptop, which compared to

the sager just has a worse screen but its fine for my uses, I use my 23" at home, and I never use the laptop outside.

So this is a awesome bargain and I would lik thank this community and especially to Tech Inferno Fan for it.

I've got a lot of people here interested in egpus as well.

Now I just need to build a enclose and hope this setup stays stable :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Hello all,

Firstly, I'm new to the forum and I apologize if I should have made another thread for this question.

Secondly, I see that you're all awesome and the informaton I've been able to glean just from reading is excellent, and I hope it can continue for a long while to come.

My question involves the Lenovo X230t. I was planning on purchasing it sometime within the next month or so, and when I found that eGPU's were now a feasible option with its Expresscard slot this solidified the deal for me. My original plan was to have it run with 16GB RAM, but after some snooping through a few forums it seems that as of a few months ago implememnting an eGPU setup with more than 8GB would be impossible without the 100% CPU usage issues. I was wondering whether anyone could confirm whether this issue has been fixed, or if I would have to resort to lowering my RAM to 8GB if i were to try an implementation. (I could probably go without 16GB but it would be nice for future CAD work I have planned.)

As an aside, my plan would likely involve the PE4L v2.1 or PE4H v3.2 with NVIDIA GTX460 1GB and suitable ATX PSU. From what I've been able to tell from the experience list this setup should work along with the i7's HD4000 iGPU using NVIDIA's Optimus software. Thanks in advance for any help on this!

So I spent some time and actually got around to running a pile of benchmarks. Some I couldn't not complete due to the desktop environment redrawing causing a driver crash. It is a lot of pixels to redraw (6 screens total)

All screens on = internal laptop lcd + 1 monitor connected directly to laptop + 4 monitors connected to eGPU

My laptop is a mini-volcano of a heatpad (to the point it has warped itself). So these numbers aren't suitable representative of another system with equivalent specs (due to thermal throttling):

i7-2620M

NVS 4200M (dGPU)

GTX 660 Ti (eGPU)

16GB @ 1333

The resultant numbers are part of the story. To see more in depth the difference, I'd suggest looking and the differences in the graphics and physics test for those you are more interested in (following the 3dmark link).

I might fiddle around with making this wall into a table.... (and include those graphics/physics numbers), but for now... here is a wall (in a spoiler!!)

I MADE A MISTAKE, THESE ARE ALL AT GEN1.

3DMark06

iGPU+eGPU all screens on:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,FUJITSU FJNB231

iGPU+eGPU 1 external only:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2620M Processor,FUJITSU FJNB231

iGPU+eGPU internal only:

iGPU+dGPU+eGPU all screens on:

iGPU+dGPU+eGPU 1 external only:

--------

3DMark11

iGPU+eGPU 3 external only:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7592530

iGPU+eGPU internal only:

iGPU+dGPU+eGPU all screens on (CPU PhysX):

iGPU+dGPU+eGPU 1 external only (CPU PhysX):

iGPU+dGPU+eGPU internal only:

DX11 hardware not found, can't run test

--------

3DMark

driver crashes during resolution change, can't complete

58076 8717

69927 8814 4003

iGPU+eGPU internal only:

12152 6916 3443

iGPU+dGPU+eGPU all screens on (CPU PhysX):

70158 8802 3886

iGPU+dGPU+eGPU 1 external only (CPU PhysX):

69484 8718 3916

iGPU+dGPU+eGPU 1 external only (dGPU dedicated PhysX):

71675 8541 3770

iGPU+dGPU+eGPU internal only:

DX11 hardware not found, can't run test

blegh.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey guys I have a question a bit off-topic so please excuse me. Ok, so I've the i3-3210m with GTX660 and I'm having lags in Crysis3 and BF4. Isn't the CPU kind of a bottleneck? Upgrading it to a 4 cores would be good or useless?

Hey guys I have a question a bit off-topic so please excuse me. Ok, so I've the i3-3210m with GTX660 and I'm having lags in Crysis3 and BF4. Isn't the CPU kind of a bottleneck? Upgrading it to a 4 cores would be good or useless?

Maybe, depends if it's the CPU or pci-e bandwidth that's the bottleneck. Suggest perform the performance checks as recommended at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4480-low-benchmarks-x230-gtx660ti-2.html#post74302

Other thing to consider is borrowing a Radeon 7850 or better off a friend to see if it does better in the games you run. This is because some games are better optimized for the Radeon architecture. For example, sskillz reported from his HP 2560P i5-2540M + [email protected] rig via PM "It also plays mp bf3 ultra at 100fps and bf4 utlra with 2x msaa at 70 with hdmi sound. " sskillz may be posting a video sometime soon for us to see for ourselves how good it is.

Due to a lack of AMD providing a free legitimate NVidia Optimus internal LCD mode competitor we are seeing way more NVidia implementations that AMD ones.

It's probably your CPU. I had a 2415m i5 processor in my macbook pro with a 660 then upgraded to a mac mini 3615qm i7 and that got rid of the frame rate issues I had. Especially with Bf4 and Crysis 3 being heavy CPU (and GPU) games.

@Tech Inferno Fan it's not a big issue, most of games run smooth and flawless but there are often stuttering in wide areas. I don't have any hardware issue and Gen2 link is working perfectly.

@EpicBlob that's exactly what is in my mind that some frames are skipped due to the CPU not handling enough. Even when the graphics are lowered and the res. I still have stuttering.

I guess I'll need some new CPU. Damn it. Anyways thanks for your support.

so the computer that i have is a lenovo y580 with two PCI-E ports;

one is occupied by the wifi card, the other by a 16gb msata SSD.

will be removing the ssd and using that slot for the egpu set up.

so the laptop has a a IGPU and a DGPU- GTX660m, i'm not satisfied

with the performance of my D-gpu and was about to replace my laptop

with one that has a HD7970m GPU. but i remembered the egpu concept.

*So my budget is about 500-600 for the egpu set up. what do you guys recommend?

will i see better graphic performance using a egpu with a gtx680 vs a laptop with a HD7970m?

the lenovo doesn't have thunderbolt, just the PCIe.

*i also intend to use a xbox psu if i am advised to move forward with the egpu. from what i read the gtx 680 has

a TDP of 195W and a 16.25A draw. i have a 203W xbox psu at hand which has a max ampage of 16.5 amps.

So theoretically alone the xbox PSU has enough power to drive the card if it ever sees it's peak.

so what are your thoughts on the ideas? looking forward to your response.

See previous Y580 response at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-212.html#post73882

HD7970M dGPU is quite powerful. Keeping in mind you won't have pci-e bandwidth limitations there like you would with an eGPU. If gaming is utmost importance then suggest go the HD7970M route. If can compromise then consider an eGPU. It's only the latest 13" rMBP and 15" MBP with Thunderbolt ports that can give near desktop pci-e bandwidth (x4 2.0). Those systems are pricier than PC notebooks and the eGPU hardware is still not affordable when compared to gaming/desktop systems.

Hi guys,

Sent an email to the Sonnet Guys about the Echo Express III-D Desktop Thunderbolt 2 Expansion Chassis:

1. Will you continue to upgrade this case when future versions of Thunderbolt are released (i.e. Thunderbolt 3+)? I notice you don't sell the original Echo Express Pro anymore so that is unlikely to be upgraded.

The Echo Express III-D, unlike the previous Echo Express models, is upgradable (the Thunderbolt cards plug into a PCIe slot on the backplane,). The upgrade from Thunderbolt 1 to Thunderbolt 2 is as simple as replacing the card. We expect the Echo Express III to be upgradable to future versions of Thunderbolt, however the nature of the upgradable to Thunderbolt 3 won't be determined until that technology is released. It could be another simple TB card upgrade, or, if TB3 is Gen 3 PCIe, then it will require that the backplane be upgraded as well. I suspect we have at least until 2015 before we see another generation of Thunderbolt.

2. When will the Thunderbolt 2 upgrade be released?

We expect the Thunderbolt 2 to be released sometime between mid December and the 1st week in January. While we do have a Mac Book Pro with TB2 in house and everything is looking good, we want to have had the Mac Pro for a few weeks of testing before we release the cards.

Thinking of getting one and a top spec Macbook Pro (without NVidia) but wish that some of the Linux distros had support for hidpi screens (want to dual boot alongside Windows for egpu use).

Hi guys, Like just the title said, i'm a totally noob..

I always want to try eGPU, but i'm too afraid if I can't setup it well..

Can anyone guide me?

I'm using Lenovo Y570 Ideapad

Intel Core i7 2670QM

4GB RAM

dGPU GeForce GT 555m 2GB

using Win 7 Pro 64x.

I have a second monitor.

my BIOS is unlocked.

I mean, where should I start?

What do I need to create that marvelous eGPU thing?

I dont have any budget to build a Desktop but I have a GPU used by my uncle b4..

Will it be working in my Laptop?

Thx 4 taking care of a noob like me..:D

Can anyone guide me?

Intel Core i7 2670QM

4GB RAM

dGPU GeForce GT 555m 2GB

using Win 7 Pro 64x.

I have a second monitor.

my BIOS is unlocked.

I dont have any budget to build a Desktop but I have a GPU used by my uncle b4..

Hi

I'm not the one who knows the most but I'll try helping. I think you might be able as long as you have an ExpressCard slot, which is more comfortable to use than the Wifi slot (for which you'll need to open the PC to plug in the PE4L). Even though you could do it without having an ExpressCard, but then I don't think I'll be able to help (don't worry though, here you'll find plenty of help :untroubled:).

Next step is to find out if you'll need to run a DSDT override, I found it quite complex when I had to do it but it's feasible. I'm not sure but it's for some memory allocation for the GPU (OMG I sound so retarted lol).

Finally (if you get till here), do you have in the bios any way to switch between the integrated GPU (Intel HD) and the GT 555m, again I'm not sure and sorry about it, but it might come in handy to switch for the eGPU.

Hi everyone, i have a egpu rig, its working perfect, its likely plug and play, but i have an issue: it was working with expresscard generation 1 in bios settings.

After selecting gen 2, egpu appears in device manager without errors, but is not detected in drivers ( nvidia control panel says not nvidia device conected).

So, my egpu works great in gen 1 but is not working in gen 2.

What can i do to solve this???????

Thanks.

My specs:

hp elitebook 8460p

i7-2670qm

PE4L 2.1b

gtx 660 nvidia card

See previous Y580 response at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-212.html#post73882

HD7970M dGPU is quite powerful. Keeping in mind you won't have pci-e bandwidth limitations there like you would with an eGPU. If gaming is utmost importance then suggest go the HD7970M route. If can compromise then consider an eGPU. It's only the latest 13" rMBP and 15" MBP with Thunderbolt ports that can give near desktop pci-e bandwidth (x4 2.0). Those systems are pricier than PC notebooks and the eGPU hardware is still not affordable when compared to gaming/desktop systems.

Sadly the GPU is paired with an Amd A10. Which bottle necks the GPU terribly. Hmmm... With an egpu on the mini pcie port, would I be able to run ac4 and bf4 on ultra with more than 40fps? Gtx680 of course.

Sadly the GPU is paired with an Amd A10. Which bottle necks the GPU terribly. Hmmm... With an egpu on the mini pcie port, would I be able to run ac4 and bf4 on ultra with more than 40fps? Gtx680 of course.

Hey there, Fyi I am using a Lenovo Y580 with R9 280X OC Vapor as eGPU and so far everything is running well. No Setup 1.x are needed because of the UMA option in the Bios to disable the iGPU dGPU. I will update when I have tested Ultra on AC4, pretty busy working now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey there, Fyi I am using a Lenovo Y580 with R9 280X OC Vapor as eGPU and so far everything is running well. No Setup 1.x are needed because of the UMA option in the Bios to disable the iGPU dGPU. I will update when I have tested Ultra on AC4, pretty busy working now.

What variant of the y580 do you have? 1080p display? Give Me some of your fps scores on games running at that resolution.

Might be worth a read:

Intel Ivy Bridge Guide for Gamers - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

The authors compared IVB CPUs in playing various games. The usefulness of a quadcore varied on the game, but it seems that your CPU should be okay. Are you having thermal throttling issues? That could explain it.

Can anyone guide me?

Intel Core i7 2670QM

4GB RAM

dGPU GeForce GT 555m 2GB

using Win 7 Pro 64x.

I have a second monitor.

my BIOS is unlocked.

Hi

I'm not the one who knows the most but I'll try helping. I think you might be able as long as you have an ExpressCard slot, which is more comfortable to use than the Wifi slot (for which you'll need to open the PC to plug in the PE4L). Even though you could do it without having an ExpressCard, but then I don't think I'll be able to help (don't worry though, here you'll find plenty of help :untroubled:).

Next step is to find out if you'll need to run a DSDT override, I found it quite complex when I had to do it but it's feasible. I'm not sure but it's for some memory allocation for the GPU (OMG I sound so retarted lol).

Finally (if you get till here), do you have in the bios any way to switch between the integrated GPU (Intel HD) and the GT 555m, again I'm not sure and sorry about it, but it might come in handy to switch for the eGPU.

The Y570 does not have ExpressCard so you would be stuck with having to use an internal mPCIe port. If you do not have one free you will have to pull your Wifi card in order to plug in your adapter (in this case a PE4L-PMxxxA whereas xxx is cable length, usually 60cm so PE4L-PM060A). A similar implementation of this type of setup would be shown here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2158-diy-egpu-guide-sony-vaio-vpc-z2-svz13.html

You will need the adapter (PE4L-PM060A in your case since you do not have ExpressCard), GPU of choice (I personally use a GTX 660 Ti), and a desktop PSU to power the card.

I don't see any reports of anyone using that particular system with an eGPU implementation, so you would be the pioneer for that.

You might need to disable your GT 555M in BIOS to give allocation room for the eGPU, but this can be iffy if the vendor disables the iGPU as well.

Hi everyone, i have a egpu rig, its working perfect, its likely plug and play, but i have an issue: it was working with expresscard generation 1 in bios settings.

After selecting gen 2, egpu appears in device manager without errors, but is not detected in drivers ( nvidia control panel says not nvidia device conected).

So, my egpu works great in gen 1 but is not working in gen 2.

What can i do to solve this???????

Thanks.

My specs:

hp elitebook 8460p

i7-2670qm

PE4L 2.1b

gtx 660 nvidia card

Since you have no errors, have you tried uninstalling the device through device manager and installing the desktop video driver again? I am currently running driver 327.02. I can confirm this is stable enough. I say it that way since I get driver crashes when I run benchmarks and such. No issues outside of that. Essentially, I can confirm 327.02 is stable for eGPU purposes (unlike some other previous versions....).

I've had pretty much the same error as you with the eGPU error-free in device manager and the nvidia control panel saying there was no nvidia device connected. This occured under two situations:

1. driver crashed

2. dGPU on and only laptop LCD on (no external displays)

Are you using Setup 1.x? Might try enabling Gen2 port through there along with PCI compaction.

In first , i am sorry for my bad english , i am french and i do my best to be understanable.

Hi ,

i have found this forum and i was asking me if i can do that to my old laptop. It's an acer aspire 7530 g , i have upgrade it with an ssd , an turion ultrra zm 82 an some cooling optimisation. I have an express card 54 free port , and my gpu system is a bit unuaslly. It's an hybrid sli , an old version of the optimus , my mxm 9600 m gs work in game and my 9100m g take the work when i go back to desktop / idle .

Do you think an e gpu with the video flux on the laptop screen can work on this system ? I have in stock some good psu , pci express 16x/1x riser and skill with iron gun soldering. I have found a thread where a guy make his own adaptater , i think i will do the same with some capacitor in supply on power line .

What graphic card will i need ? An nvidia well be easier i think ? If yes , what model ? An gtx 460 is very cheap , and my cpu is too low for better performence.

My laptop run on windows 8 , is it an problem ? I can go back to 7 .

Thank you for reading :02.47-tranquillity:

Hello guys

I already have "large memory" entry in my device manager.

Will I still need DSDT override?

post-19169-14494996483129_thumb.jpg

My machine config is

Dell vostro 1015

Processor: intel c2d T9600 (I have upgraded from the original t6600)

chipset: intel GM45

RAM: 6GB @800mhz

I have already soldered my EGPU by using @sonny_mv's pin diagram,

but its not detecting the card so far.

Hi all and Nando.

I'm a nube here and I can't believe I found this fab forum about eGPU's. It's ironic, I drew a picture of what I wanted to do to make a laptop DIY eGPU and took it to a major computer warehouse here, showed it to a tech/salesman and he said can't be done. Twice, 2 different guys. Buy a better lappy both said. Well here I am and I'm gonna pull the trigger on the eGPU as per Nando's forum. Here I discovered the vidock and a couple of others but I'm doing a DIY. You may not believe it but I read over 200 pages here so I'm confident to go.

Here is my proposal: Any flaws - please point them out to me. Thanks in advance - soon as I get the OK here, it's $$$ away. I shall report my experience here.

Machine name: Toshiba Satellite L300 PSLB8A - OFM004

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130708-1532)

System Model: Satellite L300

BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 1.70

Processor: Genuine Intel® CPU 585 @ 2.16GHz, ~2.2GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 1916MB RAM

Page File: 1461MB used, 2370MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

DAC type: Internal

Display Memory: 830 MB

Dedicated Memory: 128 MB

Shared Memory: 702 MB

Express slot1x

PROPOSED SET UP DIY

PE4H 3.2 in thealuminium case + express card <o:p></o

Nvidia GTX460

15-19V DC jack input

(Have: 27" VGA/ DVI/ HDMI monitor for the diy)

Notes: I am hoping to be able to use the laptop screen as well as a dedicated monitor.

Am I good to go - will this work??<o:p></o

<o:p> Cheers and thanks.<o:p></o</o

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.