eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

Hmmm,

I tried it with HideMyAss and a different Provier still no results for me, his shop is empty for me too.

I tried 2 US, 2 RUS, 2 Asia and 2 Europe Proxys with a proxy chrome plugin afterwards, still no results... weird...

( No I didn't Log in into my ebay acc )

Setting the link speed to Gen1 in BIOS actually got rid of the Windows glitches. I tried to force the speed to Gen2 in Setup 1.x afterwards and that just destroyed my OS. Now I can't even boot it up properly with the eGPU attached. It hangs at the logon screen and then shows the desktop with the classic Windows theme (same as in safe mode).

I suspect that the driver for my ExpressCard USB 3.0 controller messed things up for me. It crashed the system, so I uninstalled it. But who knows what might be left of it. I'll just do another clean Windows installation without it and see if it changes anything.

Alright, it was not the ExpressCard driver. Clean Windows install didn't help. Once I installed the 314.22 Verde driver and rebooted (with dGPU disabled through Setup 1.x), it started slowing down extremely again and when I checked the device manager, my eGPU had an error code 43. Maybe it's the same problems MystPhysX encoutered?

Is there any driver you can recommend for a iGPU + dGPU + eGPU setup?

Has anyone been in contact with HIT recently?

I've left numerous emails and voicemails on their office lines (once per week, each), and have had no reply for about 6 weeks now. It feels like they've closed up shop or something; you'd think they would have at least replied to one of my emails or voicemails by this time...

I'd like to know if they're still in business, because I'd like to get in touch with one of their staff regarding the PE4L kit. I just find it a bit disconcerting that they've not made one attempt to let me know that they're still around... unless they are intentionally ignoring me :P

whats ur your link speed for your eGPU?

I probably should have been more clear in my previous post:

I currently run a PE4H v2.4 (purchased late Dec 2012, arrived early Jan 2013), so my link speed is just PCI-E 1.0 (1.1Opt). I was in contact with a salesperson from HIT in order to do an exchange for a PE4L, but since March I haven't heard a peep from them.

On the plus side, I have a fully functional PE4H v2.4 if anybody's interested! It's *definitely* been tested to be in working order lol

do you play call of duty, far cry, forsaken world, or combat arms?

Not sure what that has to do with my eGPU, but no I don't actively play them.

The last Call of Duty I played was MW3, and I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet.

Why do you ask? Are you looking for benchmarks or something? I can try and get those games from my friend (he's a CoD, BF fanatic!) and try them out on my eGPU if you wanted.

well im having a problem with mine. currently on my gtx 560 ti, in games like call of duty etc, they lag like hell. but in games like bfbc2 or dirt 3, they play awesome! so i diagnosed it as just not enough bandwidth. so i bought another hdmi and PE3M adapter to make an x2 link. hoping that will fix my lag issue. i was asking to see if a similar problem was happening to you.

No, in my case my reduced framerates are likely caused by the PCI-E 1.0 interface I'm running on.

I don't see any unusual lag or poor framerates in any games, except when I am recording/streaming video. This is most likely caused by the fact that I am running on a bandwidth limited channel (PCI-E 1.0 vs 2.0).

Before I pick up a game, I usually do a search on YouTube for people using the same GPU as mine, and see what they say about performance. I see that I'm getting the roughly same performance as they do, except for some more stressful situations in the game that tax the GPU.

Hi there! I want to build egpu, but i dont want to buy not-working-things-on-my-special-computer. Computer is Fujitsu siemens Lifebook 13". So here's my specifications: Intel core 2 duo t7400 2.16 ghz; 2x2 gb ram; intel gma 950;windows xp. I want to buy pe4l w/ sapphire hd 6670. Will this work? Also i don't know if my laptops express card slot is working. Is there a way to test it(for free)? Thanks! Sorry for my bad english./dAFKa/

13-4-2013: calling on notebook systemboard manufacturers (Foxconn, Inventec, etc) to attach their expresscards slot in the upcoming Intel Haswell platform using the pci-e 3.0 Northbridge rather than the pci-e 2.0 Southbridge. That will give eGPU users x1 3.0 link speed, equivalent to 2011-2013 Thunderbolt but better it as a x1 link allows NVidia Fermi/Keplar eGPU pci-e compression to engage as well. Use of the Expresscard slot means no annoying Intel Thunderbolt certification/licensing issues to deal with either.

Nando4 what are the chances that on haswell laptop mPCI-e/expresscard to be attached to the Northbridge, are we likely going to see laptop capable of 1.3Opt this summer ? That would be awesome.

little comparison benchmarks results after CPU upgrade.

i5-2540M internal: (1.1opt x 1.2opt) vs i7-2630QM internal: (1.1opt x 1.2opt)

3dm06: 14345 vs 17786 vs 15043 vs 17900

3dm11: 3812 vs 4240 vs 3818 vs 4298

vantage: 13326 vs 16480 vs 13214 vs 16679

i5-2540M external: (1.1opt x 1.2opt) vs i7-2630QM external: (1.1opt x 1.2opt)

3dm06: 17653 vs 18220 vs 18493 vs 18688

3dm11: 3917 vs 4194 vs 4125 vs 4385

vantage: 14610 vs 16481 vs 15165 vs 17278

and little OC:

i małe OC.

3dm11, external, opt1.2, 950/2200 - 4588

3dm11, external, opt1.2, 970/2250 - 4672

Nando4 what are the chances that on haswell laptop mPCI-e/expresscard to be attached to the Northbridge, are we likely going to see laptop capable of 1.3Opt this summer ? That would be awesome.

It would be awesome to get x1.3Opt. Unfortunately it's more than likely a case of wishful thinking. Intel specs the Southbridge for x1 pci-e links and the Northbridge for video cards/TB ports. The Lynx Point Series-8 chipset definitely has not seen an upgrade to pci-e 3.0 on the Southbridge - it's still pci-e 2.0. A vendor that would attach the expresscard slot on the Northbridge would be going against Intel guidelines. I'm guestimating Intel has a number of very effective stategies in getting such a vendor to comply with their guidelines.

• Thumbs Up 1

just a question , I tried to search for this info everywere but I haven't got any accurate one. I ordered a PE4L 2.1b wich is Gen.2 PCI-E 2.0 , one of the laptop wich i would test on has only 1.0 , I'd kinda found out that it could be compatible as well, not as 1.0 on 2.0 mode laptop wich cause instabilty.. is that right or it won't work? thanks

PS: no matter of speed, even if working at 250 MB/S , just need to know if it's gonna work ..

^

It will be compatible, it's only you use a previous version of PE4L or PE4H on Sandy/Ivy Bridge laptop that you got some problems until you set the mPCI-e speed to 1.0.

yep! perfect! thanks :)

Hi,

i recently find out that my Lenovo T400s have 34 express card slot which is only utilized by card reader and can be free up like its described here:

How to free up expresscard slot on the T400s/T410s... - Lenovo Community

I'm not a big gamer but i would like to start play SC2 and D3, thats basically it since i don't have too much time to spend on playing games and i will play only this two so i don't want to spend too much cache on it.

I'm now only just little bit confused with the express card v1 and v2 so please correct me if I'm wrong.

After reading everything what could i found on the internet my idea of the setup is:

PE4L 2.1 since my laptop have ICH9m i think that only support PCIe v1 right? so because of that i can only utilize x1 which means i will be better off with cheaper PE4L 2.1 because PE4H can't give me more and only costs more.

Gainward GTX 650 Ti GS 1GB mainly because I'm on a budget, also because i think its not a bad vga for the money, even that i'm not a fanboy of nvidia i think they are making better cards than amd and the last argument would be that D3 should work with nvidia better.

CORSAIR CX Builder Series Modular 430W because its the cheapest modular PS from some normal brand.

Whole setup including above mentioned parts after conversion from CZK to USD will cost something like 280USD which is not cheap for me but in the other hand its a similar price what a console costs here and less than half the price if i would build whole gaming rig from scratch.

I think my T400s with SP9400 2.4Ghz cpu

8GB of 1066 RAM

and 128GB SSD

should provide enough power with the egpu diy setup for decent gaming

I will be more than happy for your comments and ideas

Edit1:

after checking some vids of egpu setups i found out that maybe my CPU will cause bottleneck for the GPU, what do you think about that? What other GPU you would recommend which would be able to go toe to toe with my CPU?

Edit2:

After some more research I found out that guys which have similar Laptops/CPUs that i have are mostly running on GTX460 or similar, unfortunately this card is not longer on the market, so my question is should i stick to the GTX650/650ti or something cheaper will do the job as good because of the CPU bottle neck?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.