T430s egpu

Pastel

Hey everybody, followed nando over here from NBR. Good to know the appeal process is approaching soon.

Anyways, I need some help. I'm currently running a Lenovo T430s with a GTX660ti connected using expresscard PE4L. The card is recognized by the PC in device manager unfortunately I have ran into error code 12. Now, I have read the FAQ and have discovered several solutions. One being the DSDT override. The sad thing is, even with the video tutorial, I have no idea how to execute this due to having no prior experience in computer programming or cmd. Besides this, I have also posted on the Lenovo forums, hopefully someone will fix this issue (from my understanding it is a TOLUD problem) since the x220 and the x230 were fixed. But regardless, can someone walk me through the easiest way to fix my problem?

Thank you for your support.

First thing, ensure you boot with the eGPU powered on and active and the PCI Reset Delay setting on the PE4L/PE4H is set to 0seconds (off). Lenovo's bios needs to detect the eGPU before it adjusts TOLUD lower. Then if you boot Win7 and check Device Manager, note if TOLUD is still 3.5GB (PCI BUS occupies df000000/E0000000 onwards).

If you T430s has the NVS400M dGPU, then the easiest fix is to get Setup 1.1x software and disable the dGPU (Video cards->Hybrid gfx.dGPU[off]).

If you have the iGPU-only model then it's not so clear cut. My understanding from the reports of the X230 is that Lenovo changed TOLUD to 3.5GB. Meaning the only solution is either (1) Lenovo alter the bios to set TOLUD lower: 3.25GB or 3GB to free up 32-bit (<4GB) pci space for the eGPU or (2) You apply the DSDT override to extend the root bridge into 36-bit pci space (4GB-64GB) so the eGPU can be hosted in that space.

I've seen your posts on NBR requesting help for the DSDT override. Unfortunately if your not clear on how to run CMD then I'd suggest find/hire someone who could try or do it for you. There were also early reports of X230 users trying it prior to the bios fix saying they got BSODs. So even if you follow the steps accurately it may mean you won't be successful.

I'd suggest run your system with 3GB of RAM for the time being. Then you can host your eGPU without issue. Ensure then you request a bios fix from Lenovo to lower TOLUD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi again, I have encountered a weird situation. If I plug in the egpu prior to booting the computer, device manager still shows error code 12. However if I plug it in while in windows and use device manager to scan for hardware changes, error 12 is nowhere to be found. However, the 2nd monitor is still not detected. In addition, if I try to run nvidia control panel, it says that there is no nvidia card plugged in. 93lnM.pngK1OLH.png

In your screenshot your 660 ti only has 64MB allocated to it. Nvidia cards need 224MB. Maybe if you scrolled down more it would list the other 160MB, but I have my doubts.

Check your TOLUD. This is done by going to view resources by connection in the device manager. TOLUD will be listed under the memory dropdown. You'll see a large memory range that will be something like "[0xCFA00000 - 0xFEAFFFFF] PCI Bus". The first number is your TOLUD. This view also makes it easier to see exactly how much memory is allocated to the 660.

From my limited understanding, in order to indicate TOLUD you look at the first PCI bus with 8 digits memory address. However, as indicated in the screenshot. There is no 8 digit memory address. Or maybe I'm just really dense :/

Honestly though, I really appreciate any help I get at all. I've posted on the lenovo forums, hopefully they respond however as of this moment, it seems like it is not generating any attention due to the fact that nobody really seems to care about TOLUD or egpu. I'm the only one :(

0qdtq.png

From my limited understanding, in order to indicate TOLUD you look at the first PCI bus with 8 digits memory address. However, as indicated in the screenshot. There is no 8 digit memory address. Or maybe I'm just really dense :/

Honestly though, I really appreciate any help I get at all. I've posted on the lenovo forums, hopefully they respond however as of this moment, it seems like it is not generating any attention due to the fact that nobody really seems to care about TOLUD or egpu. I'm the only one :(

Your TOLUD is BFA0000, which we round up to C0000000, meaning it's 3GB. So the bios you have has fixed the TOLUD issue giving you have plenty of 32-bit pci-e space to host the eGPU. It's now just a matter of ensuring the eGPU and underlying bridge are correctly initialized prior to Win7 booting. If it's not doing that for you by default may I suggest a Win7 rebuild, loading the latest Intel iGPU driver and desktop NVidia driver plus all the Win7 updates? I've seen such glitches get fixed that way.

If you still have no success, then Setup 1.1x can configure your eGPU and underlying bridges prior to chainloading into Windows. Do that using the PCI compaction on the iGPU+eGPU. That will get rid of the error 12.

Currently I'm using the latest nvidia drivers and the latest Intel HD4000 drivers. Should I use modded drivers instead? Namely nvidia optimus drivers as shown here: DIY eGPU experiences - Page 123

The modded driver isn't necessary if using 295.xx or newer. Per the red note on that page Khenglish confirms 295.xx beta desktop driver drives the internal LCD in additional to providing the x1 pci-e compression making it unnecessary to use the modded Verde driver below

Okay, I'm going to reinstall windows. Before I do so however, what is the correct procedure to connect the egpu once I reinstall windows and drivers? Currently, I've been plugging in the expresscard with the egpu turned on before booting.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.