OFFICIAL: Alienware M18x Owners Lounge

Brian

And HOW I would LOVE to have a subwoofer-inside...

Even willing to trade a fan for a sub...

Please....

I WANT AND I NEED A SUBWOOFER, I've been quiet and nice all year long so far; please allow me to get some BASS in my ears, in my body and all over the place !

Ok....

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol thats what you build a home theater for. Gives me Idea for a Thread about everyones Sound system. Home theater is fun, build a nice one and it immerses you in a wall of sound, add enough subwoofer power and you can feel that explosion hit you in the chest like a kick from Chuck Norris.

Am I the only one feeling that Alienware is botching the release? the add in Canada, then they take away, same for china. We all know is coming out so please just do a small press release and let us see the configuration! is so frustrating.

• Founder
Definately a subwoofer - can't remember where I read it but they did say this thing would have a subwoofer. So, by power of elimination - doesnt look like a fan, but ports out to the air = subwoofer.

-Ash

I hope you're right about the subwoofer, it's one thing I felt that was severely lacking in the R2 and R3.

Am I the only one feeling that Alienware is botching the release? the add in Canada, then they take away, same for china. We all know is coming out so please just do a small press release and let us see the configuration! is so frustrating.

Well I think it will be released in a week from now. The problem is that they are testing the configuration on their live website for testing purposes and it's getting people excited. I do agree they should issue a press release for two new exciting models. I just hope Dell doesn't decide to push M14x and M18x back to E3.

• Thumbs Up 3

E3 is a possibility though - note the fact they say "factory overclocked"... H67 is not the best platform for overclocking so it is quite possible this is a Z68 platform. That puts a release date around mid-late may, and its conceivable they would push it back one more month to get the perceived extra hype from E3.

-Ash

EDIT:

On that note, if they do delay till E3, they will probably put in a 580m showing as well. We have a 555m so far... I'm willing to bet there is a 560/570/580m in the pipeline too.

-Ash

Edited by Ashtefere
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Founder
I will be buying this for sure, DELL needs to be reassured making a return back to high quality will get them big money....and I support it with my wallet.

Agreed, those of us that were bitching about aluminum and high quality better step it up and buy this thing now that Dell listened. If this fails, then Dell will probably give up and stick to it's plastic shit. Props to Dell for going balls out though, this system looks incredible. Just proves they are still the top dawg in notebooks, Clevo/HP etc don't have anything on them.

• Founder
And HOW I would LOVE to have a subwoofer-inside...

Even willing to trade a fan for a sub...

Please....

I WANT AND I NEED A SUBWOOFER, I've been quiet and nice all year long so far; please allow me to get some BASS in my ears, in my body and all over the place !

Ok....

your wish came true - from dell china :

"2.1 speakers with subwoofer audio driver side configuration is Kipsch ®"

• Thumbs Up 1

your wish came true - from dell china :

"2.1 speakers with subwoofer audio driver side configuration is Kipsch ®"

Sounds great !

But I am wondering why...

They went with 2X USB 2.0 and 2X USB 3.0 instead of going 4 X USB 3.0 ??? (apart from the ESATA3/USB2 port)

Just hope they went with SATA3 inside for the drives...

Maybe they should have included a thunderbolt port instead of this dowdy VGA that no one ever uses anymore since two thousands lightyears ?

Finally, I'm just hoping this google translation is right, and that the subwoofer is not tied to an expensive option (seems there's two choices for the audio card).

We'll see in times I guess. Thanks for the heads-up !

:Banane15:

Edited by eYe-I-aïe...
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sounds great !

But I am wondering why...

They went with 2X USB 2.0 and 2X USB 3.0 instead of going 4 X USB 3.0 ??? (apart from the ESATA3/USB2 port)

To me this makes no sense at all. Since USB 3.0 is backward compatible with USB 2.0 hardware, what sense does it make to put limitations on the hardware??? This has me stumped and I hope it doesn't reflect the type of thinking that went into the overall design of the system.
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
To me this makes no sense at all. Since USB 3.0 is backward compatible with USB 2.0 hardware, what sense does it make to put limitations on the hardware??? This has me stumped and I hope it doesn't reflect the type of thinking that went into the overall design of the system.

I think it's because they have to use an NEC controller for those USB 3.0 ports and it likely only supports 2 ports per chip.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm seriously contemplating the m18x or an m17x-R3 (I have an R2). I use my R2 for watching movies/videos (WHS with MyMovies) and playing games. Machine is a bit loud will movie watching (which is why I am considering an R3), but would miss the sturdier case. Guy at work bought an R3 (hasn't shipped yet) so the m18x would give me bragging rights that my machine is better then his ;)

Edited by John T. Overath
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
I'm seriously contemplating the m18x or an m17x-R3 (I have an R2). I use my R2 for watching movies/videos (WHS with MyMovies) and playing games. Machine is a bit loud will movie watching (which is why I am considering an R3), but would miss the sturdier case. Guy at work bought an R3 (hasn't shipped yet) so the m18x would give me bragging rights that my machine is better then his ;)

The M18x is on a whole other level vs M17x-R3. The M17x-R3 FEELS cheap and you have to be extra careful not to damage the rubber coating on it. With the M17x-R2 and now M18x, you won't really need to worry about that since it's an all metal construction. Plus for movies, M18x will have a subwoofer so they will sound that much better vs an R3 or R2. I can't wait to order Avenger...in red :D My first red system.

• Thumbs Up 1

The M18x is on a whole other level vs M17x-R3. The M17x-R3 FEELS cheap and you have to be extra careful not to damage the rubber coating on it. With the M17x-R2 and now M18x, you won't really need to worry about that since it's an all metal construction. Plus for movies, M18x will have a subwoofer so they will sound that much better vs an R3 or R2. I can't wait to order Avenger...in red :D My first red system.

I never understood why they offered red and not silver/white. I don't think I could ever buy a red one because - OCD kicking in here - most of the colors from AlienFX won't match it or maybe me being colorblind adds that effect :P

Not knocking red really, I think it looks great, but I feel it limits the AlienFX.

• Founder

I don't think red will really have any bearing on alienfx, you can set the lights to any color. Take for example the PR photos for M18x, they use green with the red and it looks incredible.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think red will really have any bearing on alienfx, you can set the lights to any color. Take for example the PR photos for M18x, they use green with the red and it looks incredible.

Colors which are opposite each other on the color wheel often look good together. Orange and Blue, Green and Red, Yellow and Purple. Contrasting colors... even Black the absence of color and white all colors together are great together because they contrast.

• Thumbs Up 1