OFFICIAL: Alienware M18x Owners Lounge

Brian

I'm looking for one of these to sit on my lap, got any suggestions? most of these look legit but painful on the legs haha

these are very heavy so I can suggest something like this for actual use on your lap :) havent used one should fit M18x on top and keep your legs from being in agony :0

post-34-14494992712694_thumb.jpg

http://www.nextag.com/Belkin-F8N044-BRN-CushTop-538439008/prices-html?nxtg=18480a280510-7DE6B15FAD861077

Hello all! I am brand new here and joined just for all the m18x info!

I just got mine through a series of very fortunate events, but I can't for the love of god OC the sucker.

It's got the 2920xm and the unlocked A05 BIOS.

I have tried using throttle stop and adjusting everything that I can through different walkthroughs and just cannot seem to find the right combo.

I am not new to overclocking and I used to OC the sh*t out of a core2quad that I still have, but the newer "i" series confuses me too much lol I don't want anything crazy... I would just like a solid 3.7 or 4.

does anyone know for sure any settings such as: Turbo mode, speedstep, turbo flex, actual values for the various wattages and such. Also with A05 unlocked my BIOS freezes and want let me enter any submenus under ICC extended.

Thanks so much for the help!

tu

Hello guys today is a somewhat bittersweet day. I got my M18X replacement for my M17X R2 I7 740QM 6GB ram 500GB HDD 5870m crossfire 1440x900 screen. They sent me a M18X 2630QM 8GB ram Dual 500GB HDD, GTX 460m sli. I know the videocards are a bit of a downgrade, but I could never get crossfire working in the R2, so I wont know the difference lol. Overall I am very happy with the laptop, and I must say I like it more than the R2, the palm rests feel so much better, and I know the screen is no comparison to the RGB, but I did not have that nor did I ever see one, so this is a big improvement to me. I also love the HDMI in, saves me from having to buy a monitor, because there where some games for PS3 that I wanted to check out. So do you think its worth it to overclock these cards, and is the performance of them comparable to the 5870m or are they alto worse.

• Founder
Hello guys today is a somewhat bittersweet day. I got my M18X replacement for my M17X R2 I7 740QM 6GB ram 500GB HDD 5870m crossfire 1440x900 screen. They sent me a M18X 2630QM 8GB ram Dual 500GB HDD, GTX 460m sli. I know the videocards are a bit of a downgrade, but I could never get crossfire working in the R2, so I wont know the difference lol. Overall I am very happy with the laptop, and I must say I like it more than the R2, the palm rests feel so much better, and I know the screen is no comparison to the RGB, but I did not have that nor did I ever see one, so this is a big improvement to me. I also love the HDMI in, saves me from having to buy a monitor, because there where some games for PS3 that I wanted to check out. So do you think its worth it to overclock these cards, and is the performance of them comparable to the 5870m or are they alto worse.

Hi Max,

Welcome to T|I and congratulations on the replacement! I had an M17x-R2 prior to the M18x as well and although the RGB LED was awesome, the larger 18" screen more than makes up for the loss. Additionally, like you mentioned, the superior design of the M18x and added features make it a much nicer system than its predecessor. Hope to see continued impressions + participation from our new M18x owners :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi Max,

Welcome to T|I and congratulations on the replacement! I had an M17x-R2 prior to the M18x as well and although the RGB LED was awesome, the larger 18" screen more than makes up for the loss. Additionally, like you mentioned, the superior design of the M18x and added features make it a much nicer system than its predecessor. Hope to see continued impressions + participation from our new M18x owners :)

Good news for me I got dell replace the 460's with 6970m in crossfire.

Good news for me I got dell replace the 460's with 6970m in crossfire.

congrats thats great news im glad you got an uphrade out of things i had 6970m crossfire and they took good care of me once repasted i had 822core and 1100mem gaming clocks. Enjoy Max :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, so I'm sure I've seen this info around, but I just can't seem to find it.

My desktop is in pieces for the near future while I sort out a new case and do a ground up rebuild on the watercooling (it blew everywhere :( ).

Wanting to use my U3011 with my M18X but the biggest resolution my current HDMI-DVI cable seems to support is 1600x1200, which looks shit on a 30".

I'm guessing I need a mini DP to DVI-D but all the ones I can find only suport 1080p (or 1900x1200 at best). Clearly I am suffering from google retardation, can anyone help with links/bricks thrown in my direction?

• Founder
Let's just forget I ever posted this....... :44_002::01::42_002:

Btw Jimbo-I bought the u2410 since the 27 and 30 are too damn expensive in Brazil. This screen is a treat. Amazing colors, just love it!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Btw Jimbo-I bought the u2410 since the 27 and 30 are too damn expensive in Brazil. This screen is a treat. Amazing colors, just love it!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Gratz mate, I tell everyone they need an IPS dell in their lives. :D

• 4 months later...

It seemed like a good idea to share this here. I haven't seen a more appropriate thread. I had purchased a spare LCD cover and chassis base some months ago. I intended to do the paint work myself, but things have been too busy with work. Rather than allowing the parts to continue sitting in the box, I decided to have it professionally done. I had a difficult time landing on the color. I wanted something unique, flashy, but not tacky.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4p8fn1iJ3o?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

I would like to thank "MonnieRock" from NBR for letting me use his music. He is a very talented musician and I think you'll agree once you listen.

The photos from the YouTube slide show are included in the spoiler for those that would like a closer look.

mrfoxm18x001.jpg

mrfoxm18x002.jpg

mrfoxm18x003.jpg

mrfoxm18x004.jpg

mrfoxm18x005.jpg

mrfoxm18x006.jpg

mrfoxm18x007.jpg

mrfoxm18x008.jpg

[imghttp://img411.imageshack.us/img411/894/mrfoxm18x009.jpg]

mrfoxm18x010.jpg

mrfoxm18x011.jpg

mrfoxm18x012.jpg

mrfoxm18x013.jpg

mrfoxm18x014.jpg

mrfoxm18x015.jpg

mrfoxm18x016.jpg

mrfoxm18x017.jpg

mrfoxm18x018.jpg

mrfoxm18x019.jpg

mrfoxm18x020.jpg

mrfoxm18x021.jpg

mrfoxm18x022.jpg

mrfoxm18x023.jpg

mrfoxm18x024.jpg

mrfoxm18x025.jpg

mrfoxm18x026.jpg

mrfoxm18x027.jpg

mrfoxm18x028.jpg

mrfoxm18x029.jpg

mrfoxm18x030.jpg

• Founder

Like I said before, very beautiful job, looks like it was done at the factory. Hopefully I can get a yellow one done as well.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Thanks, guys. It was really hard to decide on a color. When I came across that one it was pretty impressive. I was unsure that it was the right choice until it was actually painted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hiya Guys

New guy here and just got my M18x R2 delivered today with the following specs...

Intel Core i7 3920XM (8MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz Overclocked) ---> (was never overclocked..still at stock speed)

Memory : 6144MB (1x2048 + 1x4096) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel ---> (will upgrade to 32gb in a couple of weeks)

Hard Drive : 500GB 7,200rpm SATA 3Gb/s HDD ---> (Will be changed to 256gb msata and 2 x 1tb hdds as well)

Optical Drive : BluRay Combo (Blu-ray read only, DVD, CD read & write)

Graphics : Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD HD 7970M CrossFireX

Wireless : Killer Wireless-N 1103

A05 BIOS.

So far everything seems to be working fine..Haven't really tested gaming on it yet.

I'd like to update the bios if I can and was wondering which bios version could be recommended, preferably the unlocked version..?

Thnks guys. :D

• Founder
Hiya Guys

New guy here and just got my M18x R2 delivered today with the following specs...

Intel Core i7 3920XM (8MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz Overclocked) ---> (was never overclocked..still at stock speed)

Memory : 6144MB (1x2048 + 1x4096) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel ---> (will upgrade to 32gb in a couple of weeks)

Hard Drive : 500GB 7,200rpm SATA 3Gb/s HDD ---> (Will be changed to 256gb msata and 2 x 1tb hdds as well)

Optical Drive : BluRay Combo (Blu-ray read only, DVD, CD read & write)

Graphics : Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD HD 7970M CrossFireX

Wireless : Killer Wireless-N 1103

A05 BIOS.

So far everything seems to be working fine..Haven't really tested gaming on it yet.

I'd like to update the bios if I can and was wondering which bios version could be recommended, preferably the unlocked version..?

Thnks guys. :D

Hey welcome to T|I and congrats on your new system. For now I'd hold off on flashing a bios until @svl7 unlocks the latest release. It is not advisable to go from the latest factory bios to an older unlocked one.

Sent from my GT-N7000