Brian

9 minutes ago, Vaeron said:

Which laptop do you have?

M18x R2  Purchased new late 2013

Core i7 3740QM

GTX675m x2 SLI mode(1 card died today)

16GB RAM

1TB x2 RAID

All working perfect till today, cold booted then OS loaded & 1 GPU died just as Win7 loaded.

I have a GTX970m laying around that I will try out.

4 minutes ago, M18xSLI said:

M18x R2  Purchased new late 2013

Core i7 3740QM

GTX675m x2 SLI mode(1 card died today)

16GB RAM

1TB x2 RAID

All working perfect till today, cold booted then OS loaded & 1 GPU died just as Win7 loaded.

I have a GTX970m laying around that I will try out.

I found this person's post that might just help you. This is the unlocked BIOS that he mentioned.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/27/2018 at 5:09 AM, Keltbear said:

Thanks for the Teardown Guide, Got the new to me laptop apart, swapped the video cards, found out the one was defective, baked it in the oven, now running in Crossfire.

Thats cool, I have done same thing recently with my gpu, unfortunately that baking/heating method will extend the gpu life for little longer, not a permanent fix. 

Edited by MarcoTAtelli
grammar

• 1 month later...

I have upgraded to the 2920XM chip with the level 3 OC preset in the bios and that alone is a huge performance gain in everyday tasks.  just wanted to let anyone out there that these chips now are pretty cheap to get.  they were $1k option back in the day for the M18X R1

• 2 years later...
On 11/22/2017 at 12:44 PM, Vaeron said:

I found this person's post that might just help you. This is the unlocked BIOS that he mentioned.

With unlocked bios, the m18x R2 start with Igpu instead of discrete gpu by default, so if you have any issues with GTX, just reset and start again

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/9/2022 at 8:23 PM, MZWiZard said:

Does anyone still use M18xR2 ? Mine just found a way out of the closet and is looking pretty still :)

Surely there must be, I'm here with an M18x R1.

Needs a few things checked out but should keep me busy during the colder months.

Edited by Enzo731

• 4 months later...