OFFICIAL: Alienware M18x Owners Lounge

Brian

• Founder

Seems the R1 panel has a better handle on gamma/brightness out of the box. If calibrate the M18x display it should fix that problem.

Seems the R1 panel has a better handle on gamma/brightness out of the box. If calibrate the M18x display it should fix that problem.

That cool Brian, but both of them are R1 which one you referring to, the m17x as been able to handle gamma better?

Edit

Also I have to say that it seems the m18x-R1 has a better way to control the overall settings more precise, you can even set up the temperature I have to say I am extremely impressed with the Radeon control panel.

Edited by wbabt007

Thanks webabt007! Definitedly, it seems to me (specially in the red blood cells and in the green spill) that the gamut is really better in the 17xR1... and also the definition of shadows, texture and details in general. It seems (at least to me) more than just gamma and brightness...

That is the current Issue of laptop Magazine, they have a review of the M17x-R3 with 6970 ATI card and won Editor's Choice as the perfect laptop.

Edit

Jimbo pointed out that it has a single video card, so I changed that.

Edited by wbabt007

2 Questions guys:

1: In the US there was an option to buy Soundblaster MB software with your soundcard, does anyone got that with his M18x and what is it and what does it do?!

2: Can you get that somewhere else then form dell als in The Netherlands we didnt have the option.\

Thanks! JapzT

Maybe it's included automatically? Can't imagine why they wouldn't offer a software upgrade.

I'm curious to know what it does/how well it works also.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

It's an easy one : BLACK!

Uh let me make a list :P

Alienware M18x : Stealth Black

Processor : Intel Core i7 Processor 2720QM (2.20Ghz, 6MB, 4C)

Memory : 8GB (4x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

Hard Drive : 500GB Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drive

Graphics : Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6970M CrossfireX

Sound Card : Integrated High-Definition 5.1 Performance Audio Powered by Klipsch (WITHOUT the software im very curious what it does and where to get it :P)

Display : 18.4in Widescreen Full High Definition (1920X1080) WLED LCD

Gaming Software : Eve Online - Factory Installed (DUH!!! :P)

JapzT

I heard it was just software and nothing special... but I will get it with mine. It seems there are complaints of how loud and how much bass the M18x has so maybe it helps boost the built in loudspeakers. $20 isn't much if its a pretty in depth software.

You guys can disable the ULPS in the registry like I have and it will always show up in hwinfo32. That explains why I never ran into this issue. Alternatively, Sapphire Trixx also has a disable ULPS checkbox.

Hi Brian,

A quick question about using TriXX. I always BSOD when I try using it on my R2. Are there any settings I'm supposed to be using or turning on/off before I go adjusting the clock and mem settings. It freezes and BSODs even when I move the slider 1Mhz and then hit apply.

Do I need to disable ULPS 1st before I change any settings or OC?

Cheers. :)

yes, ulps should be disabled first.

Thanks Michael,

I will try it out soon. It will be great if I can OC using Trixx.

Hows the M18x with Crossfire 6970.

How is everyones experience of the crossfire 6970s over their previous Dual 5870s?

I would have really likes to have a couple of them 6970s in my R2, heck even one running properly would be awesome!

Cheers. :)