OFFICIAL: Alienware M18x Owners Lounge

Brian

• Founder

Crossfire is working for you wbabt. HWInfo sometimes needs a program like furmark to initialize it. Use GPU-Z instead to monitor your individual video cards.

• Founder

Not yet since it doesn't happen to me. But I saw others on NBR complaining about it. It's possible they (along with wbabt) are not using the M18x built of HWInfo.

I believe this is because of the ULPS feature.

If GPU2 is off because of this feature then if you access its registers it will cause a BSOD. AMD is aware of this long ago but has not fixed that yet.. so the only thing I can do to avoid a BSOD is not to touch the GPU2 if it's off.. That might explain why you see GPU2 only if it is used (not switched off by ULPS).

It might also help me to confirm if it's really this issue if I would get the HWiNFO32 Debug File.

Do you need the debug file form my laptop or from AMD? if you need from me let me know and I will be happy to search for it and send it to you.

I am using the latest version of HWinfo32 3.80-1260 and the drivers for the video cards are the ones it came out of the box

Edited by wbabt007

Debug File from the machine where you have the issue with not seeing GPU2 properly. Just to confirm if my assumption about ULPS is correct. (this feature has already caused many headaches to developers of such tools..)

Do you need the debug file form my laptop or from AMD? if you need from me let me know and I will be happy to search for it and send it to you.

Yep, enable Debug Mode, start try to switch to GPU2 and if you see that issue close HWiNFO32 and send the HWiNFO32.DBG file.

ok sign me up, how do I make a Debug file for you? Just open hwinfo32 in debug mode and then send you file generated?

• Founder
Thanks. I can confirm that it's the ULPS feature - I can't touch the GPU2 registers when it's off (due to ULPS), otherwise it could cause a BSOD.

You guys can disable the ULPS in the registry like I have and it will always show up in hwinfo32. That explains why I never ran into this issue. Alternatively, Sapphire Trixx also has a disable ULPS checkbox.

Well here is some images, the m18x-R1 Black with the m17x-R1 Red.

bg8m4.jpg

EmkgN.jpg

eqiyU.jpg

b4pbj.jpg

eTKTT.jpg

Can I also buy a vowel? I think Brian is been playing global Agenda to long because he keeps speaking in military jargon what is the ULPS? Not all here speak l33t.:50_002:

• Thumbs Up 4

• Founder

Haha yeah man red = FTW! The new black looks decent too but I think red is definitely better. Wbabt: ULPS= ultra low power savings. How do you like the M18x vs M17x-R1 so far? Thanks for the pics dude, can you repost them in this thread? http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/547-alienware-m18x-photos-videos-impressions.html

Well here is some images, the m18x-R1 Black with the m17x-R1 Red.

bg8m4.jpg

EmkgN.jpg

eqiyU.jpg

b4pbj.jpg

eTKTT.jpg

Can I also buy a vowel? I think Brian is been playing global Agenda to long because he keeps speaking in military jargon what is the ULPS? Not all here speak l33t.:50_002:

Thanks for those beautiful pics!

Please can you make one more comparative of the two displays side by side with the same background/or game pic in them?

(and, if it's not too much: a comparative of the resolution of two identical objects in each one of them?)

Thanks in advance!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just wondering about the pre-installed games WOW and Eve Online, are they full versions or just demos?

Edit: Subscription based. Should have looked first:/

Edited by rawhide85
Uneducated

OK here is some reference images, I have to say i am surprise about the difference in colors, I know that I haven't calibrate the m18x-R1, but I never calibrated the m17x-R1 to begin with.

The m17x-R1 is on the left and the m18x-R1 on the right, I decided to do 4 colors.

Blue out

wYEgd.jpg

Blue in

v7T1q.jpg

Green in

TijR4.jpg

Green Out

oA7Do.jpg

Red in

sm0Ww.jpg

Red out

4A6xy.jpg

Yellow out

EW33m.jpg

I couldn't do Yellow in because I wouldn't Focus correctly.

Enjoy

• Thumbs Up 2