OFFICIAL: Alienware M18x Owners Lounge

Brian

I Have an aw18 with similar screen bleed, but mine is also bleeding from the middle just above the Alienware logo on the screen... its doing my head in...

i cant live with it either, im going to call AW and ask for a replacement... only just had my sound problem repaired, complete motherboard change. i hate it when you buy a new machine that is so expensive and someone comes around and tears it apart....

fingers crossed the screen i get is dead pixel free and no light bleed.... i have a feeling this is going to get painful...

i will post a picture later...

thanks

Ian

i know what you mean, i hate it as well, you spend lots of money and get only a long line of waiting an repairs in the worst case..

technician chenged the panel, now its horrible! he was like 'maybe it's built to be this way'. i wanted to slap the stupid s%*#. write away contacted dell againnow i have to wait for an answer till monday. this is so damn annoying.

here is a pic of how great it looks, just so everyone has to suffer with me ????

uzuvebu8.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

so tonight i got fed up, took this thing apart and fixed this sh*% myself, so now i have pretty much no bleeding anymore, just a liiiittle bit which i'm only able to see in total darkness with a complete black image on the screen :D now i'm actually enjoying the machine! :D

• Thumbs Up 2

first i took away the front bezel with the alienware letters on it. then i unscrewed the display pannel. then i noticed, that unscrewed, the bleeding was just maybe a third as bad (since bending the screen makes it worse). still had one bad corner though. so i checked in which direction the pannel needs to move in order to get rid of the bad bleeding part. then i unscrewed the metal frame on that side of the pannel and bent it just a little tiny bit in this direction, rescrewed it into the frame and checked again. when i was satisfied, i put the screws back in. there is one screw in the lower right of the metal frame which i didn't tighten all the way, as it would keep producing a glowing corner (and i was just too tired to unscrew everything and bend it some more). then i put the bezel back on. now almost all of the bleedkng is gone, i only got maybe a fourth of what i had in the beginning with the original pannel =)

hi all

i have two question to aw18 with 780m sli owners:

1. yesterday i've been playing farcry 3 with stock clocks etc. no oc on the gpus. i was playing for maybe 10 - 15 minutes and the gpus maxed out at around 85 degrees c. what are your temps on these cards?

2. i ran some 3d mark vantage and got something over 34k, while i hit 38k with my m18-r2 (oc on the gpus though). is this 'low' score normal or is it supposed to be much higher?

and the fan tables are so bad, i read about it but couldn't believe they are this bad -.- i'm used to use hwinfo and have the fans spin some more than with the regular ec, but the systems stays cool (i never hit over 72 degrees on the gpus, not even 3 hours of crysis). but with this system, fan control is not usable so we have to rely on the dell fantables, which make the fans spin way not enough..

• 2 weeks later...

Flashing unsigned firmware per software is locked down. If you want to use an unlocked bios you can buy a bios chip with an unlocked bios from me and do some soldering on your board. that's currently the only way to get all options in the bios.

@sv17 ​thanx but no thanx dont fancy damaging my new lappy.....thanx anyway

- - - Updated - - -

@sv17 i have flashed my 780m sli thanx to you but could you give me a stable setting for the overclocking as at the moment i have the core clock set to 950mhz but i have not touched the memory speed yet ....

• 2 weeks later...

Although I'm new here. I've had an Alienware m17xR3 for almost 3 years now. I've now purchased an m18x with the following specs:

Intel i7-4930MX

32GB 12800MHz

Dual GTX 780M

triple play SSD where I pulled out the 3 SSD's

Replaced them with an Intel 480GB 530 series, a 1TB storage HD, and added a slot-load optical drive. The 256GB mSata drive is solely for games (Steam)

I'm having power up issues. After turning off the laptop, it sometimes refuses to turn on, even though it is cool as a cucumber.

I notice that this happens when I power down while still in SLI and I don't have power connected on first power-up attempt. I can plug the power in and it still won't power up. But if I power up after shutdown with power plugged in, it seems to be ok.

If I reboot after turning off SLI, I haven't experienced this problem (yet), as I don't do it often enough.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? I'm thinking that it's a BIOS issue, due to the load of the cards on the battery. But why doesn't it turn on if I plug power back in? Could it be in an indeterminate state?

i had this issue on my m17x-r2 with an amd 6990. but there, the laptop just wouldn't power on on battery if i oc'd the card. without oc, no probs, bit as soon as it used more juice on startup, no luck.

btw i had probs with the background bleeding again. now i just took the two support rods off the pannel, now all my backlight bleed issues are completely gone 👍 =D

• Thumbs Up 1

Failure to power up after OCing is understandable. My work colleague has a m17x R1 that has SLI graphics. If he powers up on battery, the BIOS settings automatically disable SLI. I'm surprised that Dell hasn't done that across the board.

I have a warranty on the laptop, but I'm afraid that if I call in, they'll simply recommend swapping hardware to see if anything changes.

• 1 month later...

so i finally got the liquid ultra and did a repaste job on my 4930mx, as well as i repasted both 780m's with ICD24.

here is a 3DMark11 run with the same settings (cpu @4.0GHz - GPUs +80 / +100 since this is my 24/7 setting).

check the temps ^^

post-1903-14494996896077_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

so i finally got the liquid ultra and did a repaste job on my 4930mx, as well as i repasted both 780m's with ICD24.

here is a 3DMark11 run with the same settings (cpu @4.0GHz - GPUs +80 / +100 since this is my 24/7 setting).

check the temps ^^

[ATTACH]10231[/ATTACH]

Head over to the Notebook review. There is a thread dealing with the Coollaboratory Paste.

Repasting M18xR2 with CooLaboratory Liquid Ultra, any tips before I start?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Flashing unsigned firmware per software is locked down. If you want to use an unlocked bios you can buy a bios chip with an unlocked bios from me and do some soldering on your board. that's currently the only way to get all options in the bios.

I have a m18xr2 with bios a12 . can I flash a flash with nodded bios or not .

Also it has GTX 675m n Sli . performance is OK but can I manage to get some more from them without. Destroying them .

Xheers

Sent from my V5 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Whats up GUys.

I am new to this forum but i am considering purchasing an Alienware 18.

here are the main specs

Intel Core i7-4910MQ Quad Core processor

Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M graphics with 16GB total (2x 8GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI Enabled

1 TB RAID (7200RPM) + 80GB mSATA SSD Caching

32GB Dual Channel DDR3: at 1600MHz

Dual layer Blu-Ray Writer/Reader (BDRE, DVDRW, CDRW).

I have a Sager NP9380-S but it has been discontinued and its not really a looker so i wanted to get an Alienware 18 for the screen size and the fact that Alienware is also a BEAST of a laptop. I was considering getting an upgrade to the 880m for my 9380-s but i saw when the cards came out from JohnKiss's review that they throttle at real bad. Looking and researching the forums i guess the issue of the cards throttling has NOT been addressed. I am still thinking of getting the ALIENWARE and just use 780m drivers until the issue of throttling is addressed. How are the framerates for games with theses cards? How bad is it throttling now with new 880m drivers? I wanted 2 play watchdogs and hopefully GTA V when it comes out and hopefully i can get 60fps+ with these cards and a good vbios or driver. Any thoughts or incites? Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm entertaining the thougt of upgrading my M18x r1 with a newer/stronger CPU and GPUs.

my specs at the moment are:

i7 2670QM

2x HD6990m

16Gb RAM (Original)

512Gb Samsung 850PRO SSD

1000Gb Hitatchi Travelstar

I think a new CPU with the 3pipe Heatsink would be the best choice but i dont know wich CPU fits and is supported.

I would like to keep the GPUs for now because i think they are still pretty fast, if they can work toghether properly (some games dont realy like Xfire)

Any Suggestions?