OFFICIAL: Alienware M18x Owners Lounge

Brian

nvidia and adobe have this deal going where they have locked out AMD out of Mercury Engine hardware acceleration.

This doesn't make sense, Adobe lists the 7000 series as compatible (Adobe Community: FAQ: What features use the GPU and how do I troubleshoot GPU issues?)

Also if the MGE uses OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks then it has to work on any hardware which supports those features.

Any advantage to running memory at 2133mhz(Cas11) over 1866mhz(Cas10)? Doesn't the i7-3??? Series spec out at 1866mhz.

It's faster. A bit.

This doesn't make sense, Adobe lists the 7000 series as compatible (Adobe Community: FAQ: What features use the GPU and how do I troubleshoot GPU issues?)

Also if the MGE uses OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks then it has to work on any hardware which supports those features.

I see where the misunderstanding is. This is for Adobe Photoshop. Unfortunately, what I am working with is Adobe Premiere.

This link is what the Mercury Playback Engine is: Mercury Playback Engine | Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 - Adobe.com

And in the list of cards under 'Accelerated Rendering', you'll see a huge amount of NVidia cards and only 2 AMD mobile cards, and that too only those that are in the macbook pros and work ONLY with Mac OS X, and NOTHING for even desktop AMD cards. As much as I hate Crapple, I have to admit that they were powerful enough to twist Adobe's arm after a huge amount of mac fans were horrified at the beatings their macbooks with equal specs and many times the cost got at the hands of much cheaper windows machines. And since Apple put in AMD gpu's into all macbooks, they had to work this out with Adobe. The fiasco was quite entertaining, but the result remains the same. AMD is suffering due to nVidia and Adobe's deal. But thats the way it is.

On a side note, NVidia is now more scared of Intel and its iGPU's getting closer to mainstream user acceptability limits, and they allowed AMD to power ALL next gen consoles, hopefully giving AMD a fighting stance against Intel, also buying Nvidia some time to put out project shield.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Founder
Guys, just passing here to say I am out of the m18x club.. Just sold mine last week and am only left with my dear friend m11x-r3 (which I bought from @unreal25 about a year ago)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Are you joining the dark side as well? getting a desktop? :P

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Founder
Are you joining the dark side as well? getting a desktop? :P

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Nope, staying out of sides for now.

Using the m11x-r3 and am quite happy so far.

No time for games anyway so...

• Founder
Nope, staying out of sides for now.

Using the m11x-r3 and am quite happy so far.

No time for games anyway so...

I could never work on such a small computer.

Sent from my GT-I9100

• 1 month later...

Hey guys... for those that are interested, the DuraGadget sleeves that I purchased for the M18x work perfectly with the new Alienware 18. Here are some photos of the sleeve, the new Vindicator backpack and a little extra Alienware gear for the 18. It's not checkpoint friendly, but I do like the Vindicator. It is a nice backpack. I think it is a worthy successor to the Orion 18. It's not quite as bulky as the Orion, but most people will consider it a very large backpack.

Got my new Alieware 18 the other day and I am loving it.

post-17137-14494996014546_thumb.jpg

The specs on this beast of a laptop are as follows:

CPU: Intel i7-4930MX

Extreme factory overclocked to 4.3GHz

GPUs: Dual GTX 780Ms with 4GB in SLI

RAM: 16GB 1600MHz

HDD: 750GB 7200rpm with 64GB mSATA SSD caching

Slot loading Blu-ray player

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Got my new Alieware 18 the other day and I am loving it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8857[/ATTACH]

The specs on this beast of a laptop are as follows:

CPU: Intel i7-4930MX

Extreme factory overclocked to 4.3GHz

GPUs: Dual GTX 780Ms with 4GB in SLI

RAM: 16GB 1600MHz

HDD: 750GB 7200rpm with 64GB mSATA SSD caching

Slot loading Blu-ray player

Very nice, congrats on the purchase.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• 1 month later...

hello all

just got my aw18 yesterday, and woohoo it's suffering from screen bleeding.

now, since i'm (as probably everyone here) not a friend of dell technicians anymore i'm thinking about not to have the screen replaced, since there is a possibility of the screen bleeding being present as well on the 'new' screen, the possibility of getting some refurbished shit doesn't help either and what keeps my from calling the most is, once you took those notebooks apart, they will never fit together the way they came from the factory ever again (i think most of you know what i mean).

soooo what would you dudes do?

here are some pictures, front is showing the beginnk g of a movie in pause and the back shows the lid with all alien fx off.

ps: will upload the pics in a minute, tapatalk is being a b1€@&

edit: next try with the pics

ama7eqa6.jpgbymumyha.jpg

• Founder
in the end i will have it replaced anyways, it's so stupid that if i have something like this it's all my eyes keep getting stuck on, everytime it's noticeable.. i hate myself for this ^^

Lol well if it bothers you then go for it.

Sent from my GT-N7000