Best cooling for MSI GT783R

sonicaj

I own an MSI GT783R laptop computer. I would like to know what kind of cooling pad, thermal paste or maybe even heatsink upgrades I should get to keep my laptop running cool. Now the CPU runs at about 88C under GW2 and the GPU at about 85C. Any suggestions?

I would like to drop the temperature without losing visual quality of the game, Thanks an advance.

• Founder

I prefer MX-4 as my choice thermal paste since it has pretty good thermal capability, is non-conductive and capacitive, easy to apply and is reasonably priced. The only down side is that it doesn't last as long as some other competing pastes like ICD7--but ICD7 can scratch your die and is harder to apply. Aside from that, I've found that adding on rubber feet is just as effective as a bulky cooling pad. Take a look at a T|I article we wrote that covers this topic: How To Keep Your Notebook Cool: Laptop Lifts Review

I found Prolimatech PK-1 to perform close to ICD but doesn't scratch cpu and also is non-conductive. Cost is around same as ICD sometimes a bit lower.

To compare to others if you look around i got specs here of Pk1

Excellent long-term stability

Non-electronically conductive

Non-corrosive

Easy to apply and less to use

Low dry-out

Al 60~85(wt%)

ZnO 15~25(wt%)

Oil 12~20(wt%)

antioxidant 0.5~2(wt%)

Specific Gravity 3.2g/cm³

Adhesiveness 310000Cps

Thermal Conductivity 10.2 W/m-℃

Thermal Impedance 0.017 ℃-in²/W

Included One syringe of thermal compound and one easy-spread card

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I have a Notebook Cooler, personally all though it doesn't bring the temps down big time its still handy to have. But Thermal paste is the best way. I use MX-4 but looking at the Prolima Tech PK-1 i might give that a try. But don't use the ICD it really makes a mess of the GPU and CPU die when you remove it not only that its a pain to put on as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I helped to replace the thermal paste and replacing the thermal spacers on the copper plate. Now the temperature in a simple processor 42 degrees Celsius and 36 degrees Gt570m.

The Witcher 2 on maximum settings no privyshaet 72 degrees

Overclocking to 825Mhz and memory 0.9volt 3700Mhz not more than 81 degrees.

MX-2 thermal compound

I have gt783r too)

My choice in cooling is CM Storm SF-19 Strike Force but unfortunately with usb 2.0( - usb 3.0 wasn't available on market in moment of purchaise.

it works great and lowers the temperatires of CPU and GPU on 8-12. It's good result!! I sure is the best of cooler master's cooling pad.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

ya metal particle paste isnt so dangerous and i haven't even had any accidents with it. but although it has good preformance and such, its high viscoscity and a pain in the ass to remove and re apply. BTW im using artic cooling mx 4 2.