Lets enable overclocking on all 6 and 7 series laptops

Weird combo. ME FW supports overclocking, but BIOS does not.

Maybe an older BIOS did...they usaully don't push ME updates along with new BIOS'...

It's a bit strange how the BCLK section doesn't show considering it did on a P150EM. At least in the meantime I can still use XTU for pushing turboboost up by 400MHz. I've never seen the BCLK slider in the past regardless of BIOS and ME version.

I checked and your BIOS has no XTU support James...:62:

This cute Smile makes me smile:)

Thank you for checking. I don't need it very much personally but people with usual CPUs would (especially I5). Weird combo indeed.

• 3 months later...

Hey people. I have just flashed new MW firmware without a glitch. Like a driver update it was so simple!

Maybe it is only on MSi but here is MEInfo and it says that local firmware update is enabled.post-7152-1449499601308_thumb.png

Anyway, I just used bat file with code:

FWUpdLcl64 -save old.bin
FWUpdLcl64 -f ME_8.1.40.1416.BIN
pause

and newer firmware and that's it. ALthough I haven't checked if that gave me anything exept newer version.

Guy Klem66 did that on his GE series laptop and shared this info with me.

Hi everyone! It's amazing to see so many successful attempts. Gives some hope. Now, since I only have a 3632qm which doesn't have partially unlocked multipliers (3840qm on the way!), is there a quick way to check if the method will even work on my hp 2570p? Or do I still have to dump the ME FW first, then compare the values, change, flash, install 3840QM, XTU and only then will I be able to tell for sure?

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! It's amazing to see so many successful attempts. Gives some hope. Now, since I only have a 3632qm which doesn't have partially unlocked multipliers (3840qm on the way!), is there a quick way to check if the method will even work on my hp 2570p? Or do I still have to dump the ME FW first, then compare the values, change, flash, install 3840QM, XTU and only then will I be able to tell for sure?

Thanks in advance!

We have seen from the xps 15 that even without XTU flags set, BCLK will still be available in XTU. If the keyboard sequence I linked enabled the flash descriptor override then this should work. I do not know how to make the edits to allow the +4 multipliers on the 3840qm, but you should be able to get around 5% overclock out of either CPU.

If you are using an eGPU and you want to overclock the PCI-E for it let me know so I can tell you the change you need to make. The settings I listed only overclock the CPU, memory, the CPU x16 PCI-E, and the link between the CPU and the PCH. Once setting must be changed to also overclock PCH PCI-E.

Well, my main interest is in those 4 multipliers which alone gives a stable 10% boost. Now, is there a chance that even without flashing the bios, XTU will be able to manipulate them when the 3840qm is installed? Also, yes, the sequence you linked enables the flash descriptor override but I had to use a security file generated specifically for my machine (goes by serial #). I got it from HP to be able to overwrite the TPM settings as I forgot my admin password a couple months ago. Maybe that file is not needed for the ME FW part, I will doublecheck. Again, BCLK is not exactly the method I like to use to overclock the CPU, but if there's no other way, - will have to try.

Well, my main interest is in those 4 multipliers which alone gives a stable 10% boost. Now, is there a chance that even without flashing the bios, XTU will be able to manipulate them when the 3840qm is installed? Also, yes, the sequence you linked enables the flash descriptor override but I had to use a security file generated specifically for my machine (goes by serial #). I got it from HP to be able to overwrite the TPM settings as I forgot my admin password a couple months ago. Maybe that file is not needed for the ME FW part, I will doublecheck. Again, BCLK is not exactly the method I like to use to overclock the CPU, but if there's no other way, - will have to try.

XTU will not let you raise the multiplier by 4 without additional edits that I do not know of, however, HP does often use an AMI BIOS, and I do know how to hardcode CPU multipliers in that, so your CPU will boot with the overclock without you needing to set it. With this method of overclocking it is good to have BCLK overclocking available to make sure that you do not flash too high of a CPU multiplier, making the laptop incapable of flashing back. BCLK can be used to test an overclock before you flash it. The BIOS can also be modified to raise the TDP by 10W.

• 2 weeks later...

I have edited my firmware with FITC and programmed an empty chip with it, desoldered the old one and so on and now I've got read and write access :D

post-6549-1449499608089_thumb.png

I have'nt tried flashing anything yet though.

post-6549-14494996079343_thumb.png

I have edited my firmware with FITC and programmed an empty chip with it, desoldered the old one and so on and now I've got read and write access :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9002[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9003[/ATTACH]

I have'nt tried flashing anything yet though.

Well if you give me a dump I'll unlock BCLK for you. Again I highly recommend against the windows version of FPT. I linked the DOS version in my last post.

Well if you give me a dump I'll unlock BCLK for you. Again I highly recommend against the windows version of FPT. I linked the DOS version in my last post.

Thanks dude! Yeah I would never flash using the windows version.

Image including BIOS/ME/DESC [h=2]http://www.fildirekt.se/dl/1379447135.rar[/h]Only firmware [h=2]http://www.fildirekt.se/dl/1379444521.rar[/h]

First, big thanks to Khenglish for modding the ME FW for me! I didn't think there would be any chance of overclocking my machine (HP Elitebook 2570p) but I was wrong! :Banane11:

Here's the detailed info on how to flash and were to get the modded BIOS.

So after flashing I still couldn't see the reference clock slider in XTU. So, I reinstalled it a few times and eventually used one of the older versions. Dunno what exactly did the trick, maybe an older version, a number of reinstalls but it got unlocked in the end! Previously the CPU was locked at 38-39W and 3.4ghz on all cores, but as you can see from the screenshot below it can now hold 3.55Ghz @40W and 104.8BCLK!!!

post-85-14494996082859_thumb.jpg

Now, if only there was a way of further unlocking the BIOS to get some more juice for the CPU, I'm sure it would be able to go all the way up and beyond 4ghz. I'll need to work on the cooling system next to prepare for the possibility :)

post-85-14494996082191_thumb.jpg

post-85-1449499608316_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes I've looked at MSI before and found that they have the PLL set properly for overclocking, but they failed to set up the flags for XTU to understand the clock control.

That's a shame.. So there's no chance of being able to use xtu? I can increase the BCLK in BIOS though.

EDIT: I'm now able to change the reference clock with xtu :)

post-6549-14494996086561_thumb.png

Working versions: 3.​1.​201.​5, 3.2.0.24

post-6549-14494996084753_thumb.png

That's a shame.. So there's no chance of being able to use xtu? I can increase the BCLK in BIOS though.

EDIT: I'm now able to change the reference clock with xtu :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9011[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9013[/ATTACH]

Working versions: 3.​1.​201.​5, 3.2.0.24

Oh wow it works by default. I looked at an MSI for someone else before and we had problems. As for XTU flags other than BCLK maybe prema can tell me. He did figure out how to get the P150EM flagged properly, although he did have the virtually identical P170EM bios to work off of. If you have an AMI based BIOS I know how to hard set multipliers in BIOS, but for other makers I don't know. I'll check tonight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh wow it works by default. I looked at an MSI for someone else before and we had problems. As for XTU flags other than BCLK maybe prema can tell me. He did figure out how to get the P150EM flagged properly, although he did have the virtually identical P170EM bios to work off of. If you have an AMI based BIOS I know how to hard set multipliers in BIOS, but for other makers I don't know. I'll check tonight.

I was surprised it worked :) It only works with those specific versions of XTU, I have AMI so it would be awesome if you could do that for me :D

I was surprised it worked :) It only works with those specific versions of XTU, I have AMI so it would be awesome if you could do that for me :D

Actually I forgot that there has already been an unlocked BIOS released for your laptop. This enables menus to allow overclocking inside BIOS setup:http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/1839-msi-g-series-unlocked-bios.html</br></br>If that one doesn't allow menus, James D either modded himself or found a BIOS to enable menus for his laptop, which I think is the same as yours. It's more elegant to have menus for overclocking than flashing the BIOS each time to change your overclock.

Actually I forgot that there has already been an unlocked BIOS released for your laptop. This enables menus to allow overclocking inside BIOS setup:http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/1839-msi-g-series-unlocked-bios.html

If that one doesn't allow menus, James D either modded himself or found a BIOS to enable menus for his laptop, which I think is the same as yours. It's more elegant to have menus for overclocking than flashing the BIOS each time to change your overclock.

I have an unlocked version, my own to be exact :) I have increased the BCLK earlier in the BIOS but I only want the overclock when gaming or running other CPU demanding applications, so XTU fills that purpose.

I thought you had something different in mind, sorry :)

Is there anything interesting I can do now when I have read and write permissions to the me?

I have an unlocked version, my own to be exact :) I have increased the BCLK earlier in the BIOS but I only want the overclock when gaming or running other CPU demanding applications, so XTU fills that purpose.

I thought you had something different in mind, sorry :)

Is there anything interesting I can do now when I have read and write permissions to the me?

Hmm just saw that you have a sandy bridge CPU too. Only the xm allow increasing the multiplier on sandy bridge. No +4 or anything like that at all on the slower CPUs. I am not aware of anything else useful that you can do with read/write permissions. I only know that for eGPU users they could set x2 and x4 links with that access.