Lets enable overclocking on all 6 and 7 series laptops

9 hours ago, Khenglish said:

No, just the biggest.

The one I flashed was apparently the smallest. That would probably do it. The other two are the same size so I am sending both. Let me know if there is anything wrong with them. Also, how do I dump the ME firmware and the bios together? https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1I1S9mpuQTrcGpYb0JrWVQweTQ?usp=sharing

edit: I think I know what happened. Since I flashed the smallest one, I think that one was just intel ME. Problem was, I should have put the flag that tells FPT.exe not to wipe the chip before flashing. It wiped the chip and then installed ME. Just as I suspected. I am going to get my mac mini up and running with boot camp and create a bios rescue and try to flash the same file but with the correct flag so it doesn't erase the flash but just overwrites intel ME. Thanks for your help by the way. The mistake I made actually ended up being a good thing for me because I learned more about this category. 

Edited by Aaronius
Update

5 hours ago, Aaronius said:

The one I flashed was apparently the smallest. That would probably do it. The other two are the same size so I am sending both. Let me know if there is anything wrong with them. Also, how do I dump the ME firmware and the bios together? https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1I1S9mpuQTrcGpYb0JrWVQweTQ?usp=sharing

edit: I think I know what happened. Since I flashed the smallest one, I think that one was just intel ME. Problem was, I should have put the flag that tells FPT.exe not to wipe the chip before flashing. It wiped the chip and then installed ME. Just as I suspected. I am going to get my mac mini up and running with boot camp and create a bios rescue and try to flash the same file but with the correct flag so it doesn't erase the flash but just overwrites intel ME. Thanks for your help by the way. The mistake I made actually ended up being a good thing for me because I learned more about this category. 

FPT will only overwrite blocks that are changed and should abort if told to overwrite regions where it does not have a matching image to replace it with. I'll check the ME FW later today.

On 1/21/2017 at 9:17 AM, Khenglish said:

FPT will only overwrite blocks that are changed and should abort if told to overwrite regions where it does not have a matching image to replace it with. I'll check the ME FW later today.

Ok. Well then i know exactly what happened. I have a backup of my original intel ME and will flash that. I seriously think that it should boot without it because it really doesn't need it. Anyway, I will need to do research on how to reflash the firmware without an SOIC clip since the one i ordered won't arrive until next month since it is shipping from overseas and I can't cancel it because it already shipped. I think my friend has a dead motherboard so maybe I can make one like this: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/18776. Although he might want to make one too and probably does but I am sure it has a few PCI connecters.

The "before" and "after1" images are both identical. The Clock Source Select is set to send USB, PCI, SPI, LPC, and SMBUS clocks to clock source 3, but all the changes required to activate source 3 are not done, so these buses all do not have a clock. This is a 100% brick.

"after2" isn't even readable by FITC.

Also all these images are ME FW only.

8 hours ago, Khenglish said:

The "before" and "after1" images are both identical. The Clock Source Select is set to send USB, PCI, SPI, LPC, and SMBUS clocks to clock source 3, but all the changes required to activate source 3 are not done, so these buses all do not have a clock. This is a 100% brick.

No wonder. That also explains why bios recovery mode wasn't working. I can still fix it with an SPI programmer right? Is there any chance something is broken? I hope not. I will try to see if I can get the actual original intel ME. I can get you the one that I flashed which is the smallest if you need.

Edited by Aaronius

12 hours ago, Khenglish said:

I added the one I flashed to the drive folder. Probably won't make a difference though. I will change it back soon and flash it with my arduino SPI programmer to get it working again. I don't think having no clock would be able to put my laptop in an unfixable state but I could be wrong. After I get it working, I will probably try to get source 3 working. Is there a program that can emulate how the intel ME would work on my hardware that I can test it with before flashing? Could I get it working on a virtual machine? I want to make sure it works before flashing it again. I don't want to keep making the same mistake over and over.

Edited by Aaronius

Hi all. After bios modding and several attempts to unlock BCLK overclock following this guide on my HM76 chipset, i found this document:

http://www.corus.pro/pilotes/VAD/VAD517/XP/ME/1.5MB FW Bring Up Guide 8.1.0.1248 PV.pdf

It's the same can be found in the archive in the first post of the topic, but about intel series 7 chipsets.

In the last 2 pages, there is the answer: HM76, HM75 and HM70 chipset are not able to BCLK overclock.

Hope this help.

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2017 at 5:03 PM, PippBauda said:

Hi all. After bios modding and several attempts to unlock BCLK overclock following this guide on my HM76 chipset, i found this document:

http://www.corus.pro/pilotes/VAD/VAD517/XP/ME/1.5MB FW Bring Up Guide 8.1.0.1248 PV.pdf

It's the same can be found in the archive in the first post of the topic, but about intel series 7 chipsets.

In the last 2 pages, there is the answer: HM76, HM75 and HM70 chipset are not able to BCLK overclock.

Hope this help.

It sounds like Spread Spectrum Clocking is preventing any overclock of the BCLK. If it can be disabled, then we can overclock.

Hi! Signed up just to thank you all for the resources you have posted here. Following this guide, I have successfully enabled BCLK overclocking on my X230T thinkpad in XTU. Will flash my T430 as well, when I have the time. The bios chip on the X230T is easier to access for hardware programmer, so it made an excellent trial system.  For the T430, I intend on getting a 37xxQM or 38xxQM cpu, as they seem to be quite power efficient at lower multipliers while also having the extra 4 turbo bins. Anyone have any idea about unlocking the extra bins on the T430? I've seen a post of someone enabling it for a W530, something about setting MSR 0x194 to 0. 

Also, at the moment, my T430 has the i7-3520M. In XTU, it says Turbo Overclockable: True. Does that mean that the i7-3520M has extra turbo bins too?

I really want to make my T430 as powerful as possible, especially for gaming paired with my EVGA 1060 SC eGPU

Thanks, guys.

On 3/14/2017 at 11:33 PM, daniel_andrei1996 said:

Hi! Signed up just to thank you all for the resources you have posted here. Following this guide, I have successfully enabled BCLK overclocking on my X230T thinkpad in XTU. Will flash my T430 as well, when I have the time. The bios chip on the X230T is easier to access for hardware programmer, so it made an excellent trial system.  For the T430, I intend on getting a 37xxQM or 38xxQM cpu, as they seem to be quite power efficient at lower multipliers while also having the extra 4 turbo bins. Anyone have any idea about unlocking the extra bins on the T430? I've seen a post of someone enabling it for a W530, something about setting MSR 0x194 to 0. 

Also, at the moment, my T430 has the i7-3520M. In XTU, it says Turbo Overclockable: True. Does that mean that the i7-3520M has extra turbo bins too?

I really want to make my T430 as powerful as possible, especially for gaming paired with my EVGA 1060 SC eGPU

Thanks, guys.

The i7-3520M is definitely not turbo overclockable. I'm not sure if Lenovo systems have the proper BIOS entries for XTU to work, or to set the turbo multipliers by any means. If you can lower the multipliers on the i7-3520M in XTU, then an unlocked CPU will let you raise them.

5 hours ago, Khenglish said:

The i7-3520M is definitely not turbo overclockable. I'm not sure if Lenovo systems have the proper BIOS entries for XTU to work, or to set the turbo multipliers by any means. If you can lower the multipliers on the i7-3520M in XTU, then an unlocked CPU will let you raise them.

Khenglish, I am honored to have you reply to my post. I am a big fan of your work both with CPU overclocking and with transplanting GPU cores :D This is where it gets funny. In the latest XTU 6.2.0.24, I am able to lower the multiplier just fine, and can confirm with CPU-Z that this is actually applied. However, on my X230T, the BCLK overcloking didn't work in the newest XTU. The slider was unlocked and able to move, but CPU-Z showed that the settings weren't really being applied, with my BCLK staying around 99.75 MHz. The version that I use for the BCLK OC on the x230t is XTU 3.2.0.24, but in this version, on the T430, the multiplier slider is locked. Even more weird, the greyed-out sliders in this version shows some room left after the x34 multiplier, which is just plain weird. Can anyone else confirm whether their sliders look the same when they are greyed-out? Again, I think it should be possible to enable multiplier overclocking on the T430 with the right CPUs, since someone made a bios mod for a W530. Does anyone know what MSR 0x194 is? Bios modding is a bit outside my knowledge at the moment.

XTU 3.2.0.24.PNG

XTU 6.2.0.24.PNG

Unfortunately I don't know what could be going on with the BCLK slider in the latest version. The only problem I ever had was the slider completely disappearing,

Intel has a description of all MSRs in the 64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual which you can find on their website. I see no specific mention of MSR 0x194.

• 3 weeks later...

Soooo, I posted here a couple months back, now I'm able to get back to it. I managed to get the slider in XTU unlocked but changing the value has no effect on the system that I can tell. Anyway, here's my current ME: https://www.sendspace.com/file/uo4ddh

Can anyone take a look?

Edit: Went through the pdf again. Maybe the SSC2PARMS and SSC2OCPARMS under ICC registers have something to do with it? They weren't changed in the example though.

Edited by tkoutn
New info

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I have a dell E5430 with an I7 3630QM and soon an 3740QM.

Actually the bios is locked and I cannot increase BCLK.

Sometime, like during XTU benchmark, my CPU is throttling around 3.1GHz which is 100MHz lower than expected.

I wonder if someone had already did the bios mod/MEI mod for my dell E5430?

Thanks for all

• 3 weeks later...

hi, im wondering if anyone has looked into modding any toshiba satellite bios. I cant get past write protection with prr.exe and the sleep bug doesnt work. I want to upgrade my pentium 2020m to an i7 3630qm but the bios doesnt recognize it which is why i want to unlock the bios. Its an insyde brand bios version 1.40. Would unlocking the bios remove the cpu whitelist?

i havent gotten to try prr2.exe because i cant find it anywhere so i have no idea if it would work

• 5 months later...

Hi there!

(sorry for my bad English)

i was trying to gain BCLK control on my HP 2570p using Aikimox modified ME FW without any luck, i think maybe every system needs it's own modified ME FW

i have dumped my ME FW (link below) and i'll be very grateful if someone was able to enable overclocking in it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t2qQwNXsQNS_GzSStcP9aC_qmMJhJRU4/view?usp=sharing

Edited by PeterBridge

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can confirm that base clock over clocking still works in 2018. Having issues with mine as I cannot get it to go above 102Mhz and not crash. Thinking it has to do with igpu. Was done on an MSI ge72 with a 6th gen skylake 6700hq. Any help as far as Overclocking it is welcome.

On 6/2/2018 at 7:04 AM, I506dk said:

Complete-ish guide > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gIs0jYEh_8cdvvjg--KoDVMdUoURq-yv8D-_Xe3dd8M/edit?usp=sharing

This was the work of many people together. Many late nights and bricked systems were used. May this help whoever dares attempt this task.

So does the BCLK work on 6700HQ? no matter if it is MSI or ASUS or any other OEM? 

because really.. having 6700HQ BCLK unlocked will be something really special.. does your Guide can be applied on other OEMs? I have Asus laptop fully unlocked BIOS with 6700HQ :)

And also.. what I want is to be able unlock BCLK only so.. what section on your guide is important.. since you mentioned Asus is already unlocked 

Edited by CommandosGrozny

7 hours ago, CommandosGrozny said:

So does the BCLK work on 6700HQ? no matter if it is MSI or ASUS or any other OEM? 

because really.. having 6700HQ BCLK unlocked will be something really special.. does your Guide can be applied on other OEMs? I have Asus laptop fully unlocked BIOS with 6700HQ :)

And also.. what I want is to be able unlock BCLK only so.. what section on your guide is important.. since you mentioned Asus is already unlocked 

If your bios is already unlocked, you can skip to dumping and editing the bios. No need to find the bios lock, that was only for the MSI lock. You should be able to dump with FPTW -d whatever.bin. That will make a full 8mb dump. Just make sure your bios is aptio V as I am not sure with ASUS. Open a command prompt and type in "systeminfo". This will tell you if the bios is american megatrends or not. Also I couldn't get bclk past 102.7 without disabling the integrated graphics (basically renders any laptop useless). But a 3% increase in speed is helpful for sure. And maybe in the future when the laptop is outdated, you could run an eGpu and OC the cpu much higher. Raising Bclk also overclocks the ram, but if you follow most of the guide, I explain how to unlock it also so you can make necessary changes to the ram to compensate.

Edited by I506dk
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, I506dk said:

If your bios is already unlocked, you can skip to dumping and editing the bios. No need to find the bios lock, that was only for the MSI lock. You should be able to dump with FPTW -d whatever.bin. That will make a full 8mb dump. Just make sure your bios is aptio V as I am not sure with ASUS. Open a command prompt and type in "systeminfo". This will tell you if the bios is american megatrends or not. Also I couldn't get bclk past 102.7 without disabling the integrated graphics (basically renders any laptop useless). But a 3% increase in speed is helpful for sure. And maybe in the future when the laptop is outdated, you could run an eGpu and OC the cpu much higher. Raising Bclk also overclocks the ram, but if you follow most of the guide, I explain how to unlock it also so you can make necessary changes to the ram to compensate.

Thanks for the reply :) I skip to dumping and editing the bios section but I can't fully dump my BIOS which is 8mb dump because it shows me this error [The host CPU does not have read access to the target flash area. To enable read access for this operation you must modify the descriptor settings to give host access to this region] so.. you said on the guide I must modify the Descriptor region for read/write access to solve this problem but... how? I read all your guide but couldn't find the way of modify the Descriptor region for read/write access problem.

Thank you for providing the guide and thank you for your time & effort :)

Edit:- alright I did it ! I have now full 8mb bios dump.

5 hours ago, CommandosGrozny said:

Thanks for the reply :) I skip to dumping and editing the bios section but I can't fully dump my BIOS which is 8mb dump because it shows me this error [The host CPU does not have read access to the target flash area. To enable read access for this operation you must modify the descriptor settings to give host access to this region] so.. you said on the guide I must modify the Descriptor region for read/write access to solve this problem but... how? I read all your guide but couldn't find the way of modify the Descriptor region for read/write access problem.

Thank you for providing the guide and thank you for your time & effort :)

Edit:- alright I did it ! I have now full 8mb bios dump.

Alright good deal. I was gonna say that the region locks were at the beginning of the Descriptor region. (Not entirely sure on Asus tho) Glad you got it sorted out. Once dump your bios, you can edit whatever you’d like. Just be careful flashing it back. You will probably get an error along the lines of “pdr and gbe regions do not exist....” this is normal. You can also use the -BIOS to dump just the bios region of you need. (FPTW -d whatever.bin -BIOS) Hope this helps!

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, I506dk said:

Alright good deal. I was gonna say that the region locks were at the beginning of the Descriptor region. (Not entirely sure on Asus tho) Glad you got it sorted out. Once dump your bios, you can edit whatever you’d like. Just be careful flashing it back. You will probably get an error along the lines of “pdr and gbe regions do not exist....” this is normal. You can also use the -BIOS to dump just the bios region of you need. (FPTW -d whatever.bin -BIOS) Hope this helps!

Thank you so much :) you are amazing! :)

I successfully did it proof ;)

5b1bd6485aab7_FinalOC.jpg.245df3489f9ea80c57ddb35da24f5960.jpg

Is there any reason for not passing above 102.7MHz BCLK? other than IGPU? well.. if it is indeed IGPU.. then is there a way to overclock IGPU so it gives us option to a higher BCLK ?