Lets enable overclocking on all 6 and 7 series laptops

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/9/2016 at 11:24 PM, freeweber said:

UPDATE: I did it! I changed all the needed variables in the ME Firmware (looked in the pdf file) and now I can change the blck slider. Thanks!

Could anybody help me with me ME Image? I tried to unlock OC for my 8470p, but it didn't worked (black screen) so I flashed per SPI my backup in. So maybe someone can help me with it and maybe also unlock the flash descriptor?

Btw:

I dumped the file using an raspberry pi and flashrom :-)

Thanks,

Georg

Did you manage to make work ME firmware in 8470p?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gurus,

I own a Intel HM77 mobile for which I want to remove read/write protect to do bios mod with Intel me system tools as and when required.

I decided to buy CH341A & SOIC8 clip connector to read the bios.

However, I need pointers on the below points.

1. My mobile seems having two bios chips reported by fprw64 as EN25Q32B EN25QH16, which I succeeded to locate on the motherboard and thanks to all the info readily available in forums. But I am not sure how can I read contents of both chips individually and have it back as a single bios image.

2. And anyone having modded bios that may fit my mobile or provide me a link where some info can be grabbed to take off the read/write protect in the flash descriptor region(BIOS_CTL?) to burn it back to my mobile again into two  ROM's??

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

Pavan

Edited by Av.pavan4u

@Khenglish

Thanks a lot for prompt reply.

What I understand is, I can stitch together through Hex editor and do the required mod to it(such as http://donovan6000.blogspot.in/2013/06/insyde-bios-modding-advanced-and-power-tabs.html) and once done I can break them at the same offset to write it each bios individually to their respective chip.

Can you provide some link/short write-up to gain Read/Write access(BIOS_CTL or similar thing) on BIOS, so that I will be able to write through ME system tools w/o needing open the board each time I do want to put back the modded one.

Pavan.

Edited by Av.pavan4u

2 hours ago, Av.pavan4u said:

@Khenglish

Thanks a lot for prompt reply.

What I understand is, I can stitch together through Hex editor and do the required mod to it(such as http://donovan6000.blogspot.in/2013/06/insyde-bios-modding-advanced-and-power-tabs.html) and once done I can break them at the same offset to write it each bios individually to their respective chip.

Can you provide some link/short write-up to gain Read/Write access(BIOS_CTL or similar thing) on BIOS, so that I will be able to write through ME system tools w/o needing open the board each time I do want to put back the modded one.

Pavan.

Yes, you just merge and later separate at the same offset.

After you pull the chips and mod the firmware you can disable the write protect lock using FITC. After this there is no need to pull the firmware chips.

There is some other lock that I vaguely remember, but there's some trick to get around it via software means.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gurus & Khenglish,

My bad I bricked by Mobo, when CH341A programmer arrived out of anxiety :) i clicked Auto which erased one of EEPROM even before finding a way to make programmer to show up in english.

Now, I am having very hard time bringing my Mobo back to life.

1) I tried Wincrisis through USB. Out of luck as the fan itself is not kicking in after plugging in AC w/o battery.

2) Then I downloaded latest Insyde Bios(A14) available from DELL support site,  opened FD file and broke the hex image after string _IFLASH_BIOSIMG by IDA into 4096KB and 2048KB and wrote them. No luck again.

3) And I tried FITC with the .FD file, and when built the image it generated two files of  4096KB and 2048KB and was so sure that it will work. But no luck again. I am not sure what I am supposed do with map file in the build folder.

Can anyone please guide me If I am doing something wrong if any of the above techniques should work or provide a way out to bring my Laptop to life.

Any hints/suggestion is really appreciated.

Regards,

Pavan.

• 1 month later...

Will this work on an HM77 Chipset? I have a Lenovo ideaPad S400 touch and I have ran a stress test for an hour and a half and the maximum I see the temperature hit is 71 Celsius. It usually runs at around 40 degrees on standard workloads. Also, does it need a locked CPU and what do I do if I wipe my bios? I really want to try this but am afraid of bricking my laptop. If there is a way to fix this, I will definitely try this. Please let me know.

2 hours ago, Aaronius said:

Will this work on an HM77 Chipset? I have a Lenovo ideaPad S400 touch and I have ran a stress test for an hour and a half and the maximum I see the temperature hit is 71 Celsius. It usually runs at around 40 degrees on standard workloads. Also, does it need a locked CPU and what do I do if I wipe my bios? I really want to try this but am afraid of bricking my laptop. If there is a way to fix this, I will definitely try this. Please let me know.

Yes it will. HM77 is the chipset that was actually meant for overclocking.

1 hour ago, Aaronius said:

I tried enabling overclocking. Now my laptop won't post. I know what I did wrong but I just don't know how to fix it. What do I do?

If it won't boot after a few tries it's bricked and needs to be reprogrammed externally.

1 minute ago, Khenglish said:

If it won't boot after a few tries it's bricked and needs to be reprogrammed externally.

Damn it. I am going to try the built in bios recovery first. Just need to get someone to help me create the usb because my computer isn't working. Then, I will try again but do it correctly. I must have my CPU running at 2.0ghz instead of 1.8. The management engine firmware is stored in the bios right?

3 minutes ago, Aaronius said:

Damn it. I am going to try the built in bios recovery first. Just need to get someone to help me create the usb because my computer isn't working. Then, I will try again but do it correctly. I must have my CPU running at 2.0ghz instead of 1.8. The management engine firmware is stored in the bios right?

It's on flash memory just like the BIOS. Most systems have two flash chips. The ME FW may be on one, or split across both chips. BIOS could be on the same chip or the other chip.

Just now, Khenglish said:

It's on flash memory just like the BIOS. Most systems have two flash chips. The ME FW may be on one, or split across both chips. BIOS could be on the same chip or the other chip.

Mine has two. It would make so much more sense with one as a backup that always has the original bios and there was an jumper you could flip to get it to restore the backup. 

11 hours ago, Khenglish said:

If it was originally on the second chip, does matter if I flash the bios and the me to the same chip? Also, when I built the firmware before I flashed it wrong, it made three files. I just flashed the first one and that didn't work. Am I supposed to flash all three? Also, how do I dump the ME firmware with the BIOS? I think the problem was that it wiped the bios and just installed the management engine. 

1 hour ago, Aaronius said:

If it was originally on the second chip, does matter if I flash the bios and the me to the same chip? Also, when I built the firmware before I flashed it wrong, it made three files. I just flashed the first one and that didn't work. Am I supposed to flash all three? Also, how do I dump the ME firmware with the BIOS? I think the problem was that it wiped the bios and just installed the management engine. 

Please link a before and after firmware image so I can see what is wrong.

You need to match the original image offsets onto the flash memory chips. Ex if ME FW started 3/4ths through the first chip and continues onto the 2nd on the original firmware, then you need to do that. You could reorder things by editing the flash descriptor, but there's just no reason to do that and it is just a source of more possible problems.

Edited by Khenglish

26 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

Please link a before and after firmware image so I can see what is wrong.

You need to match the original image offsets onto the flash memory chips. Ex if ME FW started 3/4ths through the first chip and continues onto the 2nd on the original firmware, then you need to do that. You could reorder things by editing the flash descriptor, but there's just no reason to do that and it is just a source of more possible problems.

Ok. I need to compare the capacity of the chip to the bios file size to see where me is installed. Also, FTIC made three files when I built it. They were in the same folder as FTIC.exe. Do I send all three?

5 hours ago, Aaronius said:

Ok. I need to compare the capacity of the chip to the bios file size to see where me is installed. Also, FTIC made three files when I built it. They were in the same folder as FTIC.exe. Do I send all three?

No, just the biggest.