Lets enable overclocking on all 6 and 7 series laptops

On 2016-01-30 at 10:40 PM, ModJPB said:

I extracted the ME firmware from that G46VW BIOS and then made all the changes to enable all the overclocking support. I then attempted to flash it using fpt and it complains of this  Error 26: The host CPU does not have read access to the target flash area. . So looks like there is a lock on part of the ME firmware for the G46VW. 

Thanks for testing @ModJPB!

I think the only way to unlock the flash descriptor (by software) and flash the ME region is by utilizing the "BIOS emergency recovery" -method (changing those HEX), as stated in blowntaha's post earlier.

For our system you have to put the BIOS under C:\ and rename it G46VW.BIN  and turn off the system, then  HOME (hold) + CTRL (hold) and Power (push once)

When it's booting up, keep holding HOME + CTRL, and it should look for the BIOS and "recover" your system.

If you're willing to test it, please report back. Thanks again!

EDIT: Make sure you made the HEX changes in the earlier post. We need to unlock the flash descriptor in order to change stuff such as voltage and BLCK for the CPU and system.

Edited by jacobsson

On 2016-01-30 at 8:42 PM, Arise said:

You should be able to write bios region separately.

Hi buddy! Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is since the flash descriptor is locked on G46VW and can (supposedly) be unlocked, by writing an "emergency flash" with customized edited HEX of the ME region, I need to write a full 8MB BIOS or 2MB ME at least. I want to unlock the flash descriptor so that I can adjust the BLCK and undervolt the CPU. I hope it makes sense.

Edited by jacobsson

Yes, I understand. On my G750 i remember i had same locked descriptor but i was able to flash an unlocked bios and some setting turned the descriptor off for writing also ME region.

And in your case, is just easier maybe doing this with a programmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Arise said:

Yes, I understand. On my G750 i remember i had same locked descriptor but i was able to flash an unlocked bios and some setting turned the descriptor off for writing also ME region.

And in your case, is just easier maybe doing this with a programmer.

Hmm. This sounds very interesting! Could you remember what setting you changed for unlocking the descriptor? 

I'll probably also test with a programmer. So you didn't desolder the chip or programmed it on spot?

EDIT: I remember testing and faling this with my unlocked BIOS once (Advanced -> Me FW Image Re-flash -> Enable) 

Edited by jacobsson

• Bios Modder

For unlock descriptor you need change some values in file bios 8Mb. Use any Hex editor. How to do it you can see on the previous page, post from blowntaha  . Just see at him picture. Then flash prepared file with a programmer. If you already have SOIC clip, you can flash without desoldering the bios chip.

1_1453815444.jpg

2_1453815899.jpg

Edited by Klem
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Klem said:

For unlock descriptor you need change some values in file bios 8Mb. Use any Hex editor. How to do it you can see on the previous page, post from blowntaha  7 Nov 2015. Just see at him picture. Then flash prepared file with a programmer. If you already have SOIC clip, you can flash without desoldering the bios chip.

Cool, thanks Klem!

Gonna test my programmer setup and make a couple of full 8MB dumps and compare the checksum.

I'll report back when I had the time, hope fully tonight!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/31/2016 at 7:55 AM, jacobsson said:

Thanks for testing @ModJPB!

I think the only way to unlock the flash descriptor (by software) and flash the ME region is by utilizing the "BIOS emergency recovery" -method (changing those HEX), as stated in blowntaha's post earlier.

For our system you have to put the BIOS under C:\ and rename it G46VW.BIN  and turn off the system, then  HOME (hold) + CTRL (hold) and Power (push once)

When it's booting up, keep holding HOME + CTRL, and it should look for the BIOS and "recover" your system.

If you're willing to test it, please report back. Thanks again!

EDIT: Make sure you made the HEX changes in the earlier post. We need to unlock the flash descriptor in order to change stuff such as voltage and BLCK for the CPU and system.

So I did as you said, used the 8MB Bios and edited the bios to unlock the descriptor, then placed it in C:\  (also tried it on a FAT32 USB stick) file named G46VW.bin and when I booted holding the Home + CTRL and then power, there was a slight delay but then it just booted like normal into windows. Is G46VW.bin the correct name? Do I have to do something else? Are you sure this method works with 8MB version or is this possibly only for the 6MB Bios files?

Edited by ModJPB
  • Thumbs Up 1

You can open your bios in andy tools and it will tell you the right recovery name you must use for home+ ctrl/power revovery.

Cant remember if this works with 6 or 8 MB. Best would be to have the spi ptogrammer also available in case things go wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2016-02-04 at 4:43 AM, ModJPB said:

So I did as you said, used the 8MB Bios and edited the bios to unlock the descriptor, then placed it in C:\  (also tried it on a FAT32 USB stick) file named G46VW.bin and when I booted holding the Home + CTRL and then power, there was a slight delay but then it just booted like normal into windows. Is G46VW.bin the correct name? Do I have to do something else? Are you sure this method works with 8MB version or is this possibly only for the 6MB Bios files?

Hi! Thanks for checking this out. I remember now that when I f-ed up my BIOS before it didn't want to recover from my new SSD, only from my original HDD (that came with the system). In these scenarios I used the same file with that filename (G46VW.BIN in caps). I wonder why it would only work for the original one though? (It is suppose to start up "EZ-flash" after a while) Oh, yes as @Arise said, keep an SPI programmer near by just in case.  I do have a feeling this might actually work.

EDIT1: Several people said that the ALT-key many times get ignored and had a successful EZ-boot after 10-20 tries, this was probably what happened to me too and made me think only the original drive would work.

EDIT2: EZ-flash might even be accessible through the regular BIOS setup too? I don't have my system near so I can't check

Edited by jacobsson

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, I've followed dufus own research and I've managed to unlock my Haswell mobile CPU (i7 4700HQ).

I did a quick test run and I was able to do 4200MHz (x42 multiplier), by default, the CPU is supposed to overclock only 3.4GHz  on all cores.

At first attempt the CPU crashed, so I went back into Throttlestop and adjusted the core offset voltage +100mV just to stay safe.

The only issue for now is how to keep the little beast cool, it jumps pretty quickly over 95 degrees celsius.

So, the puny bclk margin we were able to achieve looks now pretty obsolete for Haswell mobiles, if we can do the overclocking as we should only from multiplier. :)

The 4GHz validation is here:
http://valid.x86.fr/ie08cd

OC_4700HQ.png

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/14/2016 at 7:42 PM, Arise said:

Hello guys, I've followed dufus own research and I've managed to unlock my Haswell mobile CPU (i7 4700HQ).

I did a quick test run and I was able to do 4200MHz (x42 multiplier), by default, the CPU is supposed to overclock only 3.4GHz  on all cores.

At first attempt the CPU crashed, so I went back into Throttlestop and adjusted the core offset voltage +100mV just to stay safe.

The only issue for now is how to keep the little beast cool, it jumps pretty quickly over 95 degrees celsius.

So, the puny bclk margin we were able to achieve looks now pretty obsolete for Haswell mobiles, if we can do the overclocking as we should only from multiplier. :)

The 4GHz validation is here:
http://valid.x86.fr/ie08cd

OC_4700HQ.png

I have Lenovo Y50. i can able to read Me (via bios "ME Image Reflash" ). could help me unlock more multiplier and BCLK?

Here my ME and Full Dump (Bios+Me+Desc): https://www.sendspace.com/file/lfgw9d

i can also to enable --> ICC Locks after EOP [All Unlocked] in BIOS.WP_20160206_20_19_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.7a8fb

xtu.jpg

Edited by EDk-TheONE

Im not realy sure why you would want to unlock the bclk instead of going only with the unlocked multiplier hack.

For haswell the fine bclk unlock usually gives dissapointing rewards, like 1.5-2.5 max MHz, most if the times is not possible to do +4MHz extra like on sandy or ivy.

The cooling system on my Y50-70 is not something impressive either.

For multiplier unlocking you will have to downgrade the microcode just like dufus did in your bios, then write it back.

You will then need to remove the intel mcupdate dll from windows, and using throttlestop (xtu will not work) you will have to apply the new multiplier.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Arise said:

Im not realy sure why you would want to unlock the bclk instead of going only with the unlocked multiplier hack.

For haswell the fine bclk unlock usually gives dissapointing rewards, like 1.5-2.5 max MHz, most if the times is not possible to do +4MHz extra like on sandy or ivy.

The cooling system on my Y50-70 is not something impressive either.

For multiplier unlocking you will have to downgrade the microcode just like dufus did in your bios, then write it back.

You will then need to remove the intel mcupdate dll from windows, and using throttlestop (xtu will not work) you will have to apply the new multiplier.

how to downgrade the microcode? could you help me how to do this?

thanks. 

AIDA64 CPUID report:

Field    Value
CPUID Properties    
CPUID Manufacturer    GenuineIntel
CPUID CPU Name    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
CPUID Revision    000306C3h
IA Brand ID    00h  (Unknown)
Platform ID    2Fh / MC 20h  (BGA1364)
Microcode Update Revision    1Ah
HTT / CMP Units    2 / 4
Tjmax Temperature    100 °C  (212 °F)
CPU Thermal Design Power    47 W
CPU Thermal Design Current    85 A
CPU Max Power Limit    Unlimited Power / Unlimited Time
CPU Power Limit 1 (Long Duration)    47 W / 128.00 sec  (Unlocked)
CPU Power Limit 2 (Short Duration)    58.8 W / 2.44 ms  (Unlocked)
Max Turbo Boost Multipliers    1C: 37x, 2C: 36x, 3C: 35x, 4C: 35x

Edited by EDk-TheONE

57 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

Easiest would be to downgrade the whole BIOS. As for changing the microcode on an older BIOS I only know how to do that on AMI based BIOS. There is also an intel utility that can be run in Grub that can load microcode. I forget the name of it though.

You'd be referring to BITS, BIOS Implementation Test Suite: http://biosbits.org/

• Thumbs Up 1

has anyone modded the ME firmware for P170SM, W230SD or W110ER?

if so can someone share their me files?

tried editing the me firmware for my w230sd, reference clock was already in xtu but greyed out, after flashing it vanished.

Edited by rancorx2

I think 01 or 02 are good candidates.

Ive tested with 06 microcode and that only allowed me to go 36x on all 4 cores at the same time. (By default 4700hq/mq can do 36x only on a single core).

Still a nice improvement of +200MHz, but if you want more you will have to go with a lower version.

Cant remember if those +200MHz can be used from XTU or you still require throttlestop.

Can I ask one thing - how did you guys manage to overcome the 47W TDP limits? I've downgraded my microcode to 02 version, but it doesn't really cooperate. I'm able to set the multiplier to 42 or even higher, but it only maintains this for two cores because for 4 it just throttles down to use exactly 47W. I've messed around with TPL settings and power limits in the BIOS but it still doesn't really care about the limits I chose. 

1 minute ago, Ultrax5 said:

Can I ask one thing - how did you guys manage to overcome the 47W TDP limits? I've downgraded my microcode to 02 version, but it doesn't really cooperate. I'm able to set the multiplier to 42 or even higher, but it only maintains this for two cores because for 4 it just throttles down to use exactly 47W. I've messed around with TPL settings and power limits in the BIOS but it still doesn't really care about the limits I chose. 

my bios modded and i can enable package power short/long TDP/Time Window.

123456.jpg

Just now, Ultrax5 said:

My BIOS is also unlocked and I can also set the limits, but even after setting it up like on your screenshot it seems to just ignore it. Btw, what version of microcode update did you use? 02, 01 or a different one?

01 version.

55 minutes ago, EDk-TheONE said:

01 version.

Tried 01 one, disabling MSR locks in BIOS, setting the limits inside the BIOS or via TS and it still only hits 58W which is only sufficient for a maximum multi of 34. I don't even know what's wrong with my setup now. :/

58W is a value that implies that the cpu is in full load, or at least stressed with something.

At first you should try only raising the multiplier and validate the frequency.

After you do that you can switch back to the tdp rating?

What laptop do you have? What is the temperature when you have 58W in load?