Lets enable overclocking on all 6 and 7 series laptops

@blowntaha

timohourOC

The size mismatch is fine when flashing.

This is the modded bios kindly provided by Khenglish from a HP Probook 6470b with an HM76 chipset. It is not my laptop anymore but I could try your mod since my friend gave it to me to perform a cleanup. Could you pls walk me through what I should change to test if your theory works with HM76? Link for the original bios here.

Could you pls walk me through what I should change to test if your theory works with HM76? Link for the original bios here.

Theory is an overstatement; changing the ICC boot profile to be selected by BIOS instead of the default "soft strap" enabled BCLK access via XTU on an HM77 chipset. I just figured since it was the only additional change necessary to enable it on that specific HM77 mobo, and that this is something I have not tried on HM76 then it might be what's preventing XTU access/capability to change BCLK.

Step by step, explain-it-to-me-like-im-seven:

1. Click and drag your ME FW onto FITC.exe
  2. Under the subsection Descriptor Map, change Number of Flash Component to zero so that only your ME FW is built/compiled
  3. Under the subsection PCH Straps -> PCH Strap 10, change the third parameter from the bottom ICC Boot Profile Selected [...] from true to false
  4. Done.

Or, you can just flash this, which I already modded. I used your stock BIOS, added the changes from the OP, and then did ^. End result is your full BIOS image.

Or, you can just flash this, which I already modded. I used your stock BIOS, added the changes from the OP, and then did ^. End result is your full BIOS image.

Will be trying this as soon as I get home.

<hr>

EDIT : not working. Seems like BCLK OC is not for HM76...

How to unlock ICC Registers with Clock Commander Tool?

For ME8, you can issue the cct sl command. This has to be done before "EOP." In my experience, unless you have a programmer and you're using it in conjunction with the Clock Commander Tool, enabling all ICC registers this way is a dead end because issuing that command before EOP is impossible or unknown. Alternatively, you can enable all/most ICC registers via FITC.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

I'm new on this forum. And now i found this thing. And It could be helpful for me because last days I set up an eGPU and I think I have a huge CPU limit with this 2520M. So if somebody can help me to found the way how to tweak my latop, that would be great.

My spec:

Hp Probook 6560b(HM65)

8gb

2520M

+eGPU

Hey!

I'm new on this forum. And now i found this thing. And It could be helpful for me because last days I set up an eGPU and I think I have a huge CPU limit with this 2520M. So if somebody can help me to found the way how to tweak my latop, that would be great.

My spec:

Hp Probook 6560b(HM65)

8gb

2520M

+eGPU

Try the keyboard sequence for HP systems on the first page and get an image dump.

Try the keyboard sequence for HP systems on the first page and get an image dump.

Okay. Now I think I got my dump file. Here is mine: Hp Probook 6560B

As I said I have an eGPU set up, so if you could modify for me that bandwidth, that would be the safest way for me. Can you set my cpu to oc over 3.5-3.6Ghz or higher with turbo? And what about undervolting/overvolting? Can you do that? I have a 90W PSU. I dont know does it matter anything?

I want to juice the max from this config, but Im new in this area. So sorry because of my noob questions.

Now I think I bricked my laptop. It doesnt boot up. Just turn on for a moment and shut down. Are there any method to get back? I cant reach the bios.

I did this before:

Open your ocme.bin with FTIC

Open the extracted folder named ocme

Moved only the me.bin part to fpt windows64

Cmd run as admin. And run the fptw64 program with this flag: fptw64 -me -f me.bin

After that i cant boot up.

UPDATE: Now I can boot up with the keyboard sequence but only with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting findings regarding how to unlock the ME Firmware region on Ivy Bridge (and maybe SandyBridge and Haswell) Latitudes

@ http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-14.html#post140069.

There is a UEFI variable which temporarily allows ME Firmware Image Re-Flash. Maybe such UEFI variable in other notebook BIOSes too?

Now I think I bricked my laptop. It doesnt boot up. Just turn on for a moment and shut down. Are there any method to get back? I cant reach the bios.

I did this before:

Open your ocme.bin with FTIC

Open the extracted folder named ocme

Moved only the me.bin part to fpt windows64

Cmd run as admin. And run the fptw64 program with this flag: fptw64 -me -f me.bin

After that i cant boot up.

UPDATE: Now I can boot up with the keyboardsequence but only with them.

What did you do that bricked it?

Just flashed your ME FW. After that I was able to boot only with the keyboard sequence. But after I changed the 8gb ram to 2*4gb it worked.

But bclk in Intel xtu is inactive.

My ME FW? I never made a ME FW for an HM65 system. If you flashed one I made then it was for another system.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Disclaimer: I don't know of any instances where this has caused a brick, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I'm highly doubtful of this method's potential for bricking a laptop. In the event it does, just do a regular BIOS recovery using stock bios. dont blame me for anything !

Here's a short how-to for unlocking the flash descriptor on most laptops where the bios that is not encrypted, regardless of manufacturer. All you will need is a hex editor, your FULL bios image, and know how to perform BIOS recovery.

1. Obtain/download a copy of your stock bios. Doesn't have to be stock, but just to be safe.
  2. Extract it to a folder (if it's not already), and open the bios image in a hex editor,
  3. Search for these bits,
    5A A5 F0 0F 03 00 04

4. If you're in the right spot, 5 lines below that should be where your flash descriptor's lock is set. The block of hex bits for the desc region should look something like this,
  5. Untitled_zpssxi4fc2q.png
  6. Save it somewhere.
  7. Perform BIOS recovery using your newly modified bios, afterwards you should have ME r/w access.
  8. (if required) re-install using the latest IMEI drivers.

The reason you can't just flash this as you normally would when updating BIOS is because ME region does not get updated during typical BIOS updates, only the BIOS region does. When you do recovery, it flashes all available regions, including ME.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...
On 2015-11-07 at 11:38 AM, blowntaha said:

The reason you can't just flash this as you normally would when updating BIOS is because ME region does not get updated during typical BIOS updates, only the BIOS region does. When you do recovery, it flashes all available regions, including ME.

Whoa, nice info!
I stumble up on a supposedly full 8MB BIOS dump from a Chinese website that states it's for the G46VW.

This 8MB BIOS actually contained: 5A A5 F0 0F 03 00 04

Further down (as expected) it also contained: 00 00 0B 0A 00 00 0D 0C 18 01 08 08

Q: Since I'm not really sure if this BIOS is safe to flash, how can I examine it to be (more) sure, maybe someone with more experience could have a look at it?
@Khenglish @Klem @timohour @Tech Inferno Fan @ModJPB @blowntaha

I'll have to admit I'm a bit exited now!

8MB BIOS (my dropbox)

6MB BIOS V210 (ASUS)

EDIT1:

I've now compared the 8MB BIOS with the latest official G46VW v210 BIOS, the BIOS share a lot of common parts. I don't know how to go from there, my investigations are purely speculative.

EDIT2:

I guess pulling the 2MB ME part of the full dump (ME seem to be 2MB of the beginning of the file) and concat it to an official ASUS BIOS would an idea?

Edited by jacobsson

I have the ability to flash my ME firmware.  I am attempting to set the overclocking profile to turned on rather than standard which maxes BCLK out at 100mhz in XTU and cannot be upped.  I want to gain control over this to attempt to get a slight overclock on my Dell Inspiron with i5 6300HQ.  

Can anyone guide me on how to complete this?  I've been attempting to mod with FIT but cannot build an image.  I think what I need is my actual ME firmware from my own laptop, but for some reason cannot extract this and get it to load in FIT.  Anyone?

You should be able to write bios region separately, with fpt you can write back only me part for example.

You dont realy have to reconstruct a full 8 MB image unless you plan to see it nicely in fitc or want to write the chip using a programmer.

Btw, this is me trying to dump the bios chips (there are multiple) from a gen 8 HP microserver.

You can do same with a soic clip and 8 wires and a 5 usd ch341a programmer.

13d288756bca730226a82537ccfe5315.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

I extracted the ME firmware from that G46VW BIOS and then made all the changes to enable all the overclocking support. I then attempted to flash it using fpt and it complains of this  Error 26: The host CPU does not have read access to the target flash area. . So looks like there is a lock on part of the ME firmware for the G46VW. 

• Thumbs Up 1