Lets enable overclocking on all 6 and 7 series laptops

Make sure you set "number of flash devices" to zero so thay only the ME portion is created, do all flashing and dumping in DOS. If it still doesnt work you can try extracting an IFR structure.txt file and then looking for any vars that you might want to change. Probably wont get BCLK control, but you might be able to change turbo multis

Well I built and flashed the entire FW (8mB). I figured it wasn't necessary to change the number of flash devices if I did that? I did indeed do the flashing in Windows.

Well I built and flashed the entire FW (8mB). I figured it wasn't necessary to change the number of flash devices if I did that? I did indeed do the flashing in Windows.

Just try what i said but allow me to save you the headache and dont try too hard (unless youre confident), because you will end up with a brick like i did. IMO perf gain in actual world applications just. By increasing BCLK without ability to increase volts isnt worth the effort. And since bottlenecking isnt an issue for gpu/cpu relationship, you're better off trying to buff your gpu

Just try what i said but allow me to save you the headache and dont try too hard (unless youre confident), because you will end up with a brick like i did. IMO perf gain in actual world applications just. By increasing BCLK without ability to increase volts isnt worth the effort. And since bottlenecking isnt an issue for gpu/cpu relationship, you're better off trying to buff your gpu

Interesting, I opened up the ME region only .bin I posted earlier and you are correct, the changed bits aren't there (I guess the "Int" folder is no good). However, they are if I open up the full image, which I flashed. I also re-dumped the current FW and opened the image in fitc and the bits are changed. Here is my newly dumped .bin after the changes: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=61252391357967251527

I'm really just doing this to see if it's possible, not so much out of need, this is an Ultrabook after all. I would love to unlock the multipliers. The BCLK would also overclock other components right?

Interesting, I opened up the ME region only .bin I posted earlier and you are correct, the changed bits aren't there (I guess the "Int" folder is no good). However, they are if I open up the full image, which I flashed. I also re-dumped the current FW and opened the image in fitc and the bits are changed. Here is my newly dumped .bin after the changes: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=61252391357967251527

I'm really just doing this to see if it's possible, not so much out of need, this is an Ultrabook after all. I would love to unlock the multipliers. The BCLK would also overclock other components right?

Yes. BCLK will also increase RAM/PCI/etc clocks as well; that being said, unless you can change ram multipliers, you probably wont be able to increase BCLK by a whole lot without being able to maintain stability. You'd most likely get more gain by changing turbo multis, with a lot less effort and risk. If you make a mistake changing a certain nvar you can just reset its value by changing or removing the part (corresponding to the nvar) for one boot.

I will take a look at your zip later as i do t have access to a pc atm

Yes. BCLK will also increase RAM/PCI/etc clocks as well; that being said, unless you can change ram multipliers, you probably wont be able to increase BCLK by a whole lot without being able to maintain stability. You'd most likely get more gain by changing turbo multis, with a lot less effort and risk. If you make a mistake changing a certain nvar you can just reset its value by changing or removing the part (corresponding to the nvar) for one boot.

I will take a look at your zip later as i do t have access to a pc atm

Thanks! Yea then I'm not even interested in changing BCLK, I know in the past when I've tried increasing FSB on other computers with PCI-E SATA harddrives, it would lock up very very fast. If I could unlock the multipliers, that'd be great. Were you able to do that?

All the values are as they should be to enable BCLK control. If they aren't, then if I were you, I'd move on to try and get turbo multi control. Grab Andy's tool (aka phoenix tool), select your image, manufacturer -> structire -> look for DXE core -> Setup Utility. Check the decompress box and extract. Drag and drop that file onto this universal IFR Extractor tool credits to donovon). Open the .txt file and CTRL-F turbo and sift through to see if anything comes up that related to the multis (excluding TDP). Once/if you find the setting for the turbo multipliers, you want to write down/remember the variable name.

Ex.

Here's a small chunk of what you'd might in the txt file

Setting: DMA Channel, Variable: 0x13 {05 91 27 02 1F 01 11 00 34 12 13 00 00 10 01 03 00}

0x66834 Option: DMA 1, Value: 0x1 {09 07 28 02 00 00 01}

0x6683B Option: DMA 2, Value: 0x2 {09 07 29 02 00 00 02}

0x66842 Option: DMA 3, Value: 0x3 (default) {09 07 2A 02 10 00 03}

the Variable is 0x13. If you wanted to change it from its default value of 0x03 to 0x01. You'd boot to EFI shell. If you dont know how, heres a quick TUT

grab a usb, create folder in root dir named, EFI and inside that make another folder named Boot. Inside that, you would place

this file (after extracting). FYI, there are many other EFI shells you can boot to if this one doesn't work for you.

Once you have booted to EFI shell, you would use the setup_var command

setup_var <variable> ;this is to check if it is a valid variable with a valid value, if this checks out then,

setup_var <variable> <value>

example:

setup_var 0x13

<some output="">

setup_var 0x13 0x01

Once you change all the vars you wanted to, type exit and boot. Alternatively you can look at the much nicer and more detailed guide by Khenglish. && no, I was not able to get turbo multi control. </some></value></variable></variable>

• 3 weeks later...

Works for Dell Latitude E6430!

How to unlock your flash Descriptor on a Dell Latitude E6430 (dGPU/iGPU)

i7-3630QM @ 3.56GHz

p0un5esm.png

Many Thanks @Khenglish for helping me with the ME firmware edit. I wouldn't have succeeded without his help

Just in case someone happens to have the same problem.

Oq6Qdebm.png

I did manage to enable the slider but it wouldn't go over 100MHz.

Khenglish explained to me that I hadn't change the clock range definition record and he kindly provided me a correct image of my BIOS.

Since this is his work I am not sure I can provide it without his consent.

• Thumbs Up 1

Works for Dell Latitude E6430!

How to unlock your flash Descriptor on a Dell Latitude E6430 (dGPU/iGPU)

i7-3630QM @ 3.56GHz

p0un5esm.png

Many Thanks @Khenglish for helping me with the ME firmware edit. I wouldn't have succeeded without his help

Just in case someone happens to have the same problem.

Oq6Qdebm.png

I did manage to enable the slider but it wouldn't go over 100MHz.

Khenglish explained to me that I hadn't change the clock range definition record and he kindly provided me a correct image of my BIOS.

Since this is his work I am not sure I can provide it without his consent.

You can link the file. I don't care.

If you are running Win8 or 8.1 don't link your BIOS. If you do people can steal your Windows key.

Also I see you are doing eGPU. We can easily set x2 since you have an unlocked descriptor if you want.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can link the file. I don't care.

If you are running Win8 or 8.1 don't link your BIOS. If you do people can steal your Windows key.

Thanks for the heads up. For anyone interested E6430_OC

Also I see you are doing eGPU. We can easily set x2 since you have an unlocked descriptor if you want.

Thanks again. I have already done that here. We are now trying to enable port 4 (e-module) to create an x4 link here. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have also tried extensively to mod the ME FW to overclock the PCH, which would cause BCLK overclock to overclock the PCH PCI-E for eGPU systems. When setting up the PCH to overclock, XTU would block out setting over 100MHz. It may be possible to set a BCLK overclock through the IFR mod with PCH PCI-E overclocking enabled. It's risky overclocking though because it is difficult to clear out BCLK overclocks from the NVRAM in case it is unstable. Hell switching my E6530 CPU from a 2920xm ES to a 3920XM did not even reset my multiplier overclock. If you are interested I do not really have time to try this myself, but I can send you some ME FW files with the PCH tied to the BCLK and you can try the NVRAM writing utility to raise the BCLK.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have also tried extensively to mod the ME FW to overclock the PCH, which would cause BCLK overclock to overclock the PCH PCI-E for eGPU systems. When setting up the PCH to overclock, XTU would block out setting over 100MHz. It may be possible to set a BCLK overclock through the IFR mod with PCH PCI-E overclocking enabled. It's risky overclocking though because it is difficult to clear out BCLK overclocks from the NVRAM in case it is unstable. Hell switching my E6530 CPU from a 2920xm ES to a 3920XM did not even reset my multiplier overclock. If you are interested I do not really have time to try this myself, but I can send you some ME FW files with the PCH tied to the BCLK and you can try the NVRAM writing utility to raise the BCLK.

When I OC my BCLK from 100 to 104,9 cuda-z on my NVS5200M showed an increase in host to device memory copy from ~6000MB to ~6300MB (~ 5%). I tested many times (back and forth) and the result was the same. ~5% increase from 100MHz to 104,9MHz

I thought that this was because the OC have an impact on PCIe bus too. Was I wrong? Do you think that tying PCH and BCLK will give a bigger increase?

I couldn't check with my eGPU setup cause my gear is dead. I was trying last night again to fix it but couldn't get it to work.

The NVS 5200m is tied to the CPU's PCI-E lanes, which are overclocked with BCLK. The eGPU is tied to the PCH PCI-E lanes, which are not overclocked with BCLK.

ok. Got it now

It's risky overclocking though because it is difficult to clear out BCLK overclocks from the NVRAM in case it is unstable..... If you are interested I do not really have time to try this myself, but I can send you some ME FW files with the PCH tied to the BCLK and you can try the NVRAM writing utility to raise the BCLK.

If possible send me the files. I could try.

Is it possible to reset NVRAM if it is unstable?

XMP settings and TOLUD settings will reset if I remove CMOS battery.

@timohour

I have not found a way to trigger a full NVRAM reset on my E6530. Like I said, even changing the CPU from sandy to ivy did not reset the NVRAM.

This won't be the first laptop I would brick... :ghost:

When possible PM the files. I will try when I fix my eGPU gear so I will be able to test.

Thanks! Yea then I'm not even interested in changing BCLK, I know in the past when I've tried increasing FSB on other computers with PCI-E SATA harddrives, it would lock up very very fast. If I could unlock the multipliers, that'd be great. Were you able to do that?

If you are interested, I think I know of a way to get BCLK control on HM76, PM or reply if interested.

To anyone who is having trouble getting this to work, it might be be required to change ICC Boot Profile Selected By Soft Strap from true to false; this is located under PCH Straps->PCH Straps 10. I don't know why this works, but when I was helping someone with HM77 chipset and the instructions from OP didn't work, I tried that change and voila, it worked.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Bios Modder

Interested, but I don't understand, it works for HM77 or for HM76, or for both? You changed only this one setting in Descriptor region? I ask because for unlock BCLK, i always changed other setting, in ME region, and all works fine, of course only for HM77.

Interested, but I don't understand, it works for HM77 or for HM76, or for both? You changed only this one setting in Descriptor region? I ask because for unlock BCLK, i always changed other setting, in ME region, and all works fine, of course only for HM77.

I don't know if this works for HM76 (don't have one anymore, to test on), but for my particular case (person who had requested me to mod), he had HM77, did only the steps listed in OP, and XTU did not have BCLK control, even after reinstallation. I did notice that he had 2 ICC profiles, by default. So, maybe this is why the extra change (soft strap to false) was necessary. After trying various things, and then eventually trying this, the BCLK option was unlocked in XTU.

Also, after he did a BIOS flash, the ME FW was flashed back to the original unmodified one, so he lost settings. Then, when I changed only the ICC registers from the ones in the OP, and setting the soft strap to false, he regained the ability to increase BCLK in XTU.

• Bios Modder
I don't know if this works for HM76 (don't have one anymore, to test on), but for my particular case (person who had requested me to mod), he had HM77, did only the steps listed in OP, and XTU did not have BCLK control, even after reinstallation. I did notice that he had 2 ICC profiles, by default. So, maybe this is why the extra change (soft strap to false) was necessary. After trying various things, and then eventually trying this, the BCLK option was unlocked in XTU.

Also, after he did a BIOS flash, the ME FW was flashed back to the original unmodified one, so he lost settings. Then, when I changed only the ICC registers from the ones in the OP, and setting the soft strap to false, he regained the ability to increase BCLK in XTU.

Ok. But I don't understand, why you wrote about HM76?

If you are interested, I think I know of a way to get BCLK control on HM76, PM or reply if interested.

To anyone who is having trouble getting this to work, it might be be required to change ICC Boot Profile Selected By Soft Strap from true to false; this is located under PCH Straps->PCH Straps 10. I don't know why this works, but when I was helping someone with HM77 chipset and the instructions from OP didn't work, I tried that change and voila, it worked.

So should I try this on my ASUS UX32VD with HM76 chipset? Could it cause something bad?

I opened up your firmware you linked and it is not in a flash image format. You need to dump the firmware off of your system for a full image.

Hey,

I was trying to figure out Nando's post, where he quoted you (here). Looking at the already modified ME9 FW in FITC (linked on Nando's post), and comparing it to mine in ME10 FITC, I couldn't deduce which setting enabled all of registers after EOP. Could you tell me specifically what I would have to change to enable all the clocks, thus allowing me to slightly increase BCLK via XTU?

Here's two quick FITC side by side comparisons, with mine on the left (ME10), and ME9 FITC on the right,

FITC_PwrMgmt_zpscvoze5cx.png

FITC_CRDR_zpspbetjjtc.png