OLD School M15x all original specs

OCM15x

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to just say hello and I wanted to share my system specs even though its horrible.

Specs

-i7 720

-4g ram

-gtx 260m (smh yup still rolling with the big guns!) ; )

-500g Hard Drive

-900p

I bought this system back in late 09 for collage "smirks" and it has been a very good laptop. I cant complain much except for now. About a couple days ago it just literally just shot off and I took it to a computer store to see wth happened and most they can figure is that my MotherBoard just stopped working ggrrr. So I decided to replace it even though I didn't really wanna spend the money but I got the MB for a really cheap compared to what Dell wanted "laughs @ their price $495." I picked one off ebay for $150 shipped and $200 installed so I was happy with that. I am still waiting for it to get delivered but we are pretty sure that the problem was with the MB.

I have been thinking about doing some upgrades though, but trying to decide if it is worth it or just get another laptop? I have been seeing some stories of the 7970m working in the M15x and it pretty much being plug n play. So that is very tempting at being $400 I just have to convince my wife smh.

Will the 7970m work alright with just my current specs? Or would I need to do a little upgrading?

I also don't mean to arise an already spoken topic so sry in advance.

I will give an update once the MB gets here and installed and the M15x is alive once more. I really do like the M15x and would like to just upgrade everything so that it is not so outdated.

Thanks

Andrew Stokes

Guest Alienware-L_Porras

We only recommend the 460m because that's the best one that we have tested to work perfectly. However I've seen more than one working correctly with the 7970m. If you need pricing info from DELL you can get it by sending an e-mail to [email protected].

• Founder

Welcome to T|I @OCM15x and thanks [MENTION=4474]Alienware-L_Porras[/MENTION] for the quick reply. As for your question about upgrading, with the 7970M its pretty much plug and play but you may benefit from a faster CPU (e.g. 920/940xm). They are fairly cheap now on eBay so it wouldn't be difficult to find. Since you already spent the money, it may be worth your time to get the GPU. Alternatively you could sell it and go for an M17x-R3 from Dell Outlet and then add the 7970M to that. If you buy it from Dell like Luis mentioned above, I believe they warranty the GPU.

Thanks Alienware-L_Porras for the advice. I usually would never by any part from Dell simply because it usually 2x higher than what I can get from somewhere else.

Brian Since I already put money back into the M15x I would stay with it. I would not want to sell and then purchase another laptop and then spend more money upgrading that gpu. In that case I would just make sure that the M17 came with the 7970m ; p I think that the M15x is perfect size though and I can do what I want while still being able to play with it in my lap or in bed with of course a little lap stand.

Also upgrading the CPU is not cheap unless there is another place that sales 920/940... both were like little under $400 shipped on ebay new : (

I prolly would just roll with the gpu first and see how everything worked out if I would even do it.

Well yesterday my motherboard came in so I rushed it over to the computer shop for them to put in and well they say that it was DOA : ( smh that or it did not fix the problem. Problem is that the computer will not turn on or show signs of life (no lights when plugged in.)

So hopefully I can get a refund from the ebay seller and maybe try one more time to see if that will fix it but if it doesn't then I am going to have to say goodbye to the M15x sadly.

I dont know if it works this way but what if you purchased a warranty plan and had it serviced. Otherwise a plain repair from Alienware with no savings in which by the sounds you would be more likely to check into that M17xr3 /M17xR4 if another motherboard doesnt fix it.

Have you checked the power supply or replaced that?

L Porras your resource for Alienware Upgrades is great because the parts are warranted like Brian also said.

Have you checked your battery? If my battery is not fitted I can't start the laptop. May be that one is fucked. Check it by pressing the small button on it in the middle. Keep pressing it for 3secs to check the wear leveling. Alternatively use a different one if you have.

Mw86 I bought a m15x motherboard that the guy said was brand new but it was DOA. Luckily the guy is being cool and gonna give me a full refund. So I am thinking of trying the motherboard one more time and if that doesn't work scrapping it : (

I have 2 power supplies and both of them work. They light up and everything.

Jahnsinn I have not checked the battery but shouldn't the computer turn on with just the power supply w/ out the battery even on? Either way the computer store told me that my battery was good. That would be amazing if it was something like just the battery.

The alien head lights up for like a couple seconds but the computer does not turn on. It just has to something with the motherboard?

Mw86 I bought a m15x motherboard that the guy said was brand new but it was DOA. Luckily the guy is being cool and gonna give me a full refund. So I am thinking of trying the motherboard one more time and if that doesn't work scrapping it : (

I have 2 power supplies and both of them work. They light up and everything.

Jahnsinn I have not checked the battery but shouldn't the computer turn on with just the power supply w/ out the battery even on? Either way the computer store told me that my battery was good. That would be amazing if it was something like just the battery.

The alien head lights up for like a couple seconds but the computer does not turn on. It just has to something with the motherboard?

Man that sucks that it was supposed to be a new motherboard and it was DOA. Is this repaur place truly accredited? Id watch out who you have repair your system. Hopefully the motherboard replacement that your going to try again fixes it. I. Know a pro SVL7 that has stated quite a few models wont work right with no battery in at all. My M18x is newer and has no such probs but perhaps its something related to that. Sounds too simple but something like this could be as simple as the power switch. It shows light when you plug in maybe the power button isnt actually cycle the power on. Atleast if you sent it to Alienware depot they could diagnosis each part separately. You could just have them diagnose and buy the parts needed that they determine yourself so to avoid high oem cost but then you would know whats wrong with it? Well im not aure if Alienware would do that but if they would that wouldnt cost a lot to find the prob probably. They have equipment thats meant just for Alienware diagnosis. Best of luck bro.

So I finally sucked it up and called Alienware about the problem. So they told me I can pay $430 and they would fix everything that was wrong with the computer. So I figured that would be the best idea since a new Motherboard from them is more than $430 and if they fix everything that would be even better since my cd drive does not work either and that is like $80 just for that part not even counting the install of it. So I just sucked it up and thought it would be better to do the $430 to fix everything. Also some of my keyboard keys were coming off as well. I will update when I get the computer back I just hope that it doesn't take like a month to get the computer back.

• Thumbs Up 1

ITS ALIVE!!! Just got my computer back from Dell. They replaced the motherboard, video card, and cd drive. Not to bad for the price I paid for them to fix all that. Now it prolly will be awhile before I can con my wife into letting me upgrade the GPU in it : (

• Thumbs Up 1

ITS ALIVE!!! Just got my computer back from Dell. They replaced the motherboard, video card, and cd drive. Not to bad for the price I paid for them to fix all that. Now it prolly will be awhile before I can con my wife into letting me upgrade the GPU in it : (

Well that's great to hear. Enjoy your now renewed Alien. Did you get warranty extended in case yhere is anything else in the future?