RAID = None

LCD types =

14.0 inch HD WLED with TrueLife 1366 x 768

14.0 inch HD+ WLED with TrueLife 1600 x 900

Video =

Integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000

Discrete Nvidia GeForce GT 555M

Video Memory =

Integrated 512 MB dedicated video memory (for total system memory greater than 4 GB)

Discrete 1.5 GB

TV Tuner = Optional

Camera = 2.0 megapixel HD Camera

Audio = Realtek ALC665 High-Definition surround sound audio controller

USB =

One USB 2.0-compliant connector with PowerShare

Two USB 3.0-compliant connectors

Media bay options = DVD+/-RW 8X,9.5,SATA SATA

Wireless LAN =

Intel Wireless 6250 Card

Intel Wireless 6205 Card

Bluetooth = Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth Mini-Card (Optional)

NIC (LOM) = AR8151 Gigabit Fast Ethernet controller

Modem = External USB modem (no internal option)

I/O card slot = 9-in-1 card reader

IR support = Consumer IR

Connectors Left = VGA. HDMI output, Display Port, USB 2.0, Microphone, Headphone, 9-in-1 Media card reader, SIM card

Connectors Right = Optical Disc Drive, USB 3.0, RJ-45 Kensington lock slot

Operating system = Windows 7 (64-bit only)

Docking support = No internal dock, USB APR

AC adapter = 150 watt low profile AC adapter

Battery = 8 cell smart lithium ion (63 Whr)

Keyboard = Illuminated Keyboard

AlienFX Lighting = Blue (Default), Red, Lime, White, Yellow, Fuchsia, Aqua, Indigo

Physical Dimensions =

Weight = Weight with 8-cell battery and optical drive (starting at): 2.88 kg (6.35 lb)

Height : 37.80 mm (1.49 inches) Front and Back

Width : 337.00 mm (13.27 inches)

Depth : 258.34 mm (10.17 inches)

I guess at least you can put 2 HDDs if you toss out the useless optical drive. :P

• Thumbs Up 7

Not to go off topic, but I was comparing the M14x and Thinkpad W520 with nVidia Quadro 2000M. The score some guy on NBR got ( Result ) of ~11.5K in 3DMark06 seems to be inline with ~11k with GT 555M that's recorded on Notebookcheck for Dell XPS 17. But the price will probably be a bit lower for M14x (it's about $1.8K for W520 with this graphic card) + the Dell warranty is somewhat better I guess (how sad is that :) ) unless one is willing to go into $2K range and pay for extra onsite warranty.

Other than that, both laptops seem to have about the same weight, similar regular screens with the exception that Thinkpad has a matte one.

• Founder
Not to go off topic, but I was comparing the M14x and Thinkpad W520 with nVidia Quadro 2000M. The score some guy on NBR got ( Result ) of ~11.5K in 3DMark06 seems to be inline with ~11k with GT 555M that's recorded on Notebookcheck for Dell XPS 17. But the price will probably be a bit lower for M14x (it's about $1.8K for W520 with this graphic card) + the Dell warranty is somewhat better I guess (how sad is that :) ) unless one is willing to go into $2K range and pay for extra onsite warranty.

Other than that, both laptops seem to have about the same weight, similar regular screens with the exception that Thinkpad has a matte one.

In that case it should be an easy choice for the M14x unless you really need a thinkpad.

You're not the only one. But I guess GT 555M is the best they managed to put in that 14" system. One cannot help being little disappointed tho - there was a report on this forum of having M15x working with 6970M. I am not a "fan boy" of either nVidia or AMD/ATI, but would probably be more inclined to go with some ATI card instead.