Using your 4GB GTX 680m to its safest and full potential

Did you include your new findings in the Clevo New rom I flashed yesterday? Since the boost works somehow for me, not 100% correctly, but I'll explain my case in your Kepler thread. Will post there in a few minutes!

Sounds good! Keep me informed. Personally I love this particular method as it is nice and tidy (and I invented it :P) but if you can at the bios level then it would be even better. I'd love to do some testing if you want @svl7. You know how to contact me :)

Add enough Super Sampling AA to most of the modern titles out at atleast 1080p and your up into 2gb already so its very possible and not hard to get to 4gb vram used but its not going to happen unless you add all those effects and even multimonitor gaming would bring you there.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and very interested in this discussion. I recently purchased my new Sager 9370 with dual 680m graphics cards and I want to push them to the max. I have never flashed the Vbios before on any of my cards. For a new person to do something of that nature, what are my chances of bricking the cards?

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and very interested in this discussion. I recently purchased my new Sager 9370 with dual 680m graphics cards and I want to push them to the max. I have never flashed the Vbios before on any of my cards. For a new person to do something of that nature, what are my chances of bricking the cards?

If you closely follow the guides in the stickys the chance is bricking a card is pretty slim. And once you set your BIOS to boot from USB as #1st priority, you can always blind flash your original vbios back.

I too was anxious of flashing vbios's, but I went ahead and did it (correctly) and so far it has proven to be awesome.

Just that this specific vbios of this thread does not work very well with my Clevo 4GB 680M. It does not jump to it's correct clocks in 3D games after I exited any game. Means first try it jumps from idle to the promised 915 Mhz, but as soon as you close the game and restart it the core and memory clock is stuck at 324. No idea why. The Clevo_OC_New rom of Svl7's sticky thread works find for overclocking manually though. Just that I get massive throttling past 850 on Core. 888 is the last stable OC with that vbios. But he will probably soon release a new updated version, and possibly even with a working GPU boost :D

Means first try it jumps from idle to the promised 915 Mhz, but as soon as you close the game and restart it the core and memory clock is stuck at 324. No idea why. The Clevo_OC_New rom of Svl7's sticky thread works find for overclocking manually though. Just that I get massive throttling past 850 on Core. 888 is the last stable OC with that vbios.

Does this mean that with the bios in this thread you got the card to work at 915Mhz and could run a game intitially without problem- ie. only had problems after closing and re-opening? No throttling at 915?

Exactly doctr_nick. When I first launch a game, it's fine. If I close it and re-launch it or open another game, Core and Memory is stuck at 323 until I reboot my Notebook. As for the throttling, I did not test it because I immediatly flashed a different vbios after seeing the stuck Clocks... so not sure if it would have been stable

I want to double check. I have a Sager 9170 with a 4GB 680M and I want to make sure this works with my setup. Will this affect Nvidia Optimus in any way? Also do I only need to use the steps in the "[GUIDE] NVIDIA VBIOS flashing" thread for flashing these vbios? Sorry, I am a little newbish coming to flashing GPU bios subject. Thank you for your help.

I want to double check. I have a Sager 9170 with a 4GB 680M and I want to make sure this works with my setup. Will this affect Nvidia Optimus in any way? Also do I only need to use the steps in the "[GUIDE] NVIDIA VBIOS flashing" thread for flashing these vbios? Sorry, I am a little newbish coming to flashing GPU bios subject. Thank you for your help.

Hi there! I am also interested in finding out more, I have a clevo p150EM with the 680, but I am a noob in flashing vbios (never tried) and I like optimus; but still I also like to know I'll be able to play good games at full specs some time in the near future which has brought me here, to find out how I can get the hell out of my gpu without spending to upgrade to next gen gpus; up to now I've learnt the tape foil mod which I will definitely try, but I would love to get as close as possible to desktop 670 thanks to a good but safe and stable overclock!

And also apart from optimus being preserved, if I encounter any problem, can I come back to original vbios flawlessy?

Please advise, thanks so much!!

In case you flash a wrong vbios or fail at flashing, you can always blind flash it back. Therefore I would suggest to you guys to set "Boot from USB" as first priority in the boot order. Then in case you fail you only need to wait for like 1min, then type the command for flashing the backup-rom that you should have taken prior to trying a different rom.

Just follow svl7's sticky regarding the flash process, it is actually really easy. You just need a USB stick, put the win98 DOS files on it as well as your new rom (and also save your current rom on it), then boot from it, and then type "nvflash -6 <romname>.rom" without the "" obviously.

In case you flash a wrong vbios or fail at flashing, you can always blind flash it back. Therefore I would suggest to you guys to set "Boot from USB" as first priority in the boot order. Then in case you fail you only need to wait for like 1min, then type the command for flashing the backup-rom that you should have taken prior to trying a different rom.

Just follow svl7's sticky regarding the flash process, it is actually really easy. You just need a USB stick, put the win98 DOS files on it as well as your new rom (and also save your current rom on it), then boot from it, and then type "nvflash -6 <romname>.rom" without the "" obviously.

Gonna try out the Msi one hopefully nothing goes wrong :Banane34: Weirdly the 2nd GTX680M I got cannot have the memory overclocked to 2400MHz without performance decrease..

</romname>

I tried both MSI vbios's. They did not brick my card but did not work well either. As I mentioned a couple of times, the MSI vbioses cause my core and memory to be stuck at 324Mhz in 3D applications, but only after 1. some minutes of gameplay or 2. if I restart the application.

At the first launch of the 3D app the clocks are at 915/2250 perfectly as should be, but after some minutes they clock down to 324 and stay there until I reboot my Notebook. Even if I launch a different 3D app the clocks stay stuck.

• Founder
I tried both MSI vbios's. They did not brick my card but did not work well either. As I mentioned a couple of times, the MSI vbioses cause my core and memory to be stuck at 324Mhz in 3D applications, but only after 1. some minutes of gameplay or 2. if I restart the application.

At the first launch of the 3D app the clocks are at 915/2250 perfectly as should be, but after some minutes they clock down to 324 and stay there until I reboot my Notebook. Even if I launch a different 3D app the clocks stay stuck.

Well, I tried flashing this, but the problem is I'm getting a lot of throttling :/ (utilization goes around 60-70% in Crysis), so I switched back to the stock vbios. Maybe it's time to repaste.

Which version of the 680M are you two using? Clevo/MSI vbios don't work well with Dell cards and vice versa.

I'm using a clevo 680m on my clevo P150EM

EDIT: Well, I think I guess I got scared and reverted back to stock setting too early.

I'm saying that because I just got Ghost Recon FS. And I noticed GPU usage remains at 99% almost all the time, even when overclocking (crysis throttled even without using the flashed vbios). So my guess is that not all games act the same after all. I will just keep tsting things, but I want to make sure I repaste both my CPU and GPU before trying anything.

Well, its either clevo or MSI, so the vbios should work with no problem.

- - - Updated - - -

ow and its probably not possible for you to download the file coz you need 5 posts

Hey this is a little off topic but I'm studying this thread for OC stuff but I noticed you have a Qualification Sample 3920xm. I'm sorry to moderator for posting this here but I'm really interested in how your CPU has performed for you, does it act like a xm CPU?? I'm about to buy one I think and they have warranty for refund or replacement and they guarantee it's performance but I'm still trying to be cautious. I could get a used OEM out of an M18x for $779 or one of these for $550-$600..

For some reason my username is ??????????, I don't know if that's what happens to everyone who signs in with Facebook but I'm Alex for all it matters 8D

• 3 weeks later...

This is awesome! I have only ever pushed desktops but am amazed to see what you guys can do with mobile versions. Im excited to try some out even though this laptop is pretty crazy already, its fun to push further and have little tweaks..

legends!