Using your 4GB GTX 680m to its safest and full potential

Guys, I'm having a problem with my GTX680M (Clevo) in a sense that the stereo vision options aren't available on the nvidia control panel. Tried about a dozen of versions and nothing happens... Now using the 306.23 WHQL. Any guess what can this be? Did the Acer driver override hack to work on my passive Panasonic and LG panels. Works on my desktop card like a charm, but then again, the stereo vision options were always available even before the hack. I have a Clevo P150EM with stock firmware and intend to flash with the msi ver.2 firmware and paste my cpu+gpu chips with mx-4, but only worth it if I can solve this problem. Kind of an annoying one too!

post-5663-14494993622168_thumb.jpg

• Founder

@AlexandreMPB I had the same problem, what you should do is go into the installation folder for the nVidia driver and manually install nvision. After that, reboot and plug your computer into the TV via HDMI out and then the 3D menu will appear in the nVidia control panel.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Founder
Tell please how to make a backup copy of vbios of 680 m of 4 GB of clevo? In nibitor and GPU-Z it is impossible!

Suddenly flash of vbios won't turn out!

In dos, I believe it is nvflash -b vbios.rom

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks Brian, tonight I'll give it a try. When you say install the driver manually, you mean double-click on the setup.exe inside the NVIDIA StereoUSB Driver folder right? Inside the 3D Vision folder there are only DLL files. These folders only reside inside the NVIDIA Corporation folder inside the Program Files (x86) folder, not present in the native x64 Program Files folder.

post-5663-14494993669177_thumb.jpg

• Founder
Thanks Brian, tonight I'll give it a try. When you say install the driver manually, you mean double-click on the setup.exe inside the NVIDIA StereoUSB Driver folder right? Inside the 3D Vision folder there are only DLL files. These folders only reside inside the NVIDIA Corporation folder inside the Program Files (x86) folder, not present in the native x64 Program Files folder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4991[/ATTACH]

@AlexandreMPB this is what the directory looks like with the 306.23 drivers:

post-5-14494993669372_thumb.jpg

Brian, I tried installing exactly as mentioned above, but nothing happened. Next I unpacked the 3DVision_306.23.exe file and ran the setup.exe from there. 3D Vision drivers installed OK, but still no stereo options. Next I forced the nvidia chip as preferred graphics adapter, rebooted, and still nothing. Then I tried the nvsttest.exe from the 3d vision installation folder, and got an unpleasant surprise: "Couldn't find Nvidia graphics", followed by "Stereo is not enabled. Enable Stereo and restart the test". Even forcing the nvidia chip through the program configs for the exe's in the driver menu it wouldn't work. I'm almost formatting my machine (again) but would rather not... Any new suggestions?

I also got "primary graphics adapter doesn't support 3d vision" right after installing the driver. Maybe a problem with the Intel 4000? So then I disabled the 4000 in device manager, got a black screen, rebooted and... vga resolution without nvidia driver options. Re-enabled the 4000 and now I'm back to the ol' drawing board... Can't disable Intel in Bios either because the P150EM's is fully locked. Really tried everything, or not?

I've updated to the 306.23 WHQL release with the following results:

I'm consistently reaching 87C in 3DMark Vantage and 3DMark11 now that I've completed the foil mod, and Unigine Heaven hits 85-87C as well.

(Heaven settings remain 1080p, Extreme Tess, High Shaders, 16x AF, 8x AA)

My scores:

3DMark11: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor,CLEVO P15xEMx score: P7877 3DMarks (P7877, 8158 GPU, 8203 Physics, 5978 Combined)

3DMark Vantage: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3720QM Processor,CLEVO P15xEMx score: P24693 3DMarks (P24693, 25263 GPU, 23128 CPU)

Heaven: 36.6fps (922.4 Score)

(Multiple runs have shown results consistent with the above, which is why I mentioned just one score per bench)

I'm really pleased with these results, but I'm trying to find ways to cool down the system some more if possible. Are my temperatures normal, in your experience?

Although you quoted yourself, clearly stating you used the OP's VBIOS and your results after using 306.23 WHQL, I still want to ask you; was your only change the drivers?

Guys, I ended up flashing with the 1.037v bios mod and got a very good 3d mark score: 8312. Core @ 1053 and Memory @ 2450. Not bad! Arctic silver 5 as paste, and max temp peaked at 90 C. Going for MX-4 next. Tried about 10x over and is stable.

Which VBIOS is that? (Please provide the filename to be specific = easier to get on the same page.) Is this also one of the MSI 680M VBIOS's but with the OV? I have a Clevo 680M and understood from svl7's posts in the Kepler VBIOS Mod thread that using MSI VBIOS's might cause weird behavior, have any of you had any problems?

Also, my computer refuses to wake up properly from sleep with stock VBIOS, (it wakes, but the screen doesn't come on and times out after ~5 secs or so and reboots) I haven't tried any modded ones. Anyone know a solution? Maybe one of the modded VBIOS's is my savior?

Also, my computer refuses to wake up properly from sleep with stock VBIOS, (it wakes, but the screen doesn't come on and times out after ~5 secs or so and reboots) I haven't tried any modded ones. Anyone know a solution? Maybe one of the modded VBIOS's is my savior?

I have the same problem in my P150/170HM with MSI_GTX680m4gb_ + _200MHz_OV_ver2 vbios.

I have the same problem in my P150/170HM with MSI_GTX680m4gb_ + _200MHz_OV_ver2 vbios.

Ah, I forgot to mention I have a P150HM as well...

I've dug around in tons of forums and no one seems to acknowledge and give an explanation to this issue (some people barely mention it saying "oh it has the sleeping issue" and move on to another topic -.- ) Anyone know a fix?!

I use sleep a lot whenever I get up to get a drink or something for 5 mins when on battery... and given the HM's get around 2~ hours of battery lol, I try to save as much as I can...

It's really frustrating, @svl7 what's your take? I think it might be an Optimus incompatibility problem (HM series doesn't support Optimus). Is a VBIOS fix a possibility, maybe disabling Optimus entirely?

Hey guys, I'm new here!

Just received my 680M yesterday and installed it in my Clevo X7200. I'd like to OC it nice and stable, not really excessively. But for some reason my Core will stay at 719 Mhz no matter which Software I try (AB, Precision, nVidiaInspector...). The Memory overclocks just fine!

My situation is that if I move the silder to like +100 Mhz and click Apply/Save, it saves it no problem. But in an actual game the Core won't move any higher than it's default! I tried the 302.72, 306.23 WHQL and 305.53 so far... same with all.

So I figured out I'd just flash my card with this VBIOS. Would you guys advise me to do so or do you know a fix for my problem?

I would be fine with ~850/2400 I guess. And also, it would be great if someone could PM me the VBIOS as I can't yet download attachments... :)

Hello, I'm new here too. Thanks for developing this. If someone could PM me the VBIOS so I don't have to post nonsense I'd appreciate it.

You are an elite member, you should have full permissions. Please let me know if you are having issues, @Brian can take a look.

Well ok then I guess I have to post 4 more times :P

I tried pushing the Core over 800 on stock vbios, (like 810/2200) but I would get Blackscreens after some minutes of gameplay. Does that mean the card is struggling or am I doing it wrong? ;) My PSU is 300W (powered 2 6970Ms before) and the Card peaks at 66°C on 790/2300 that was stable for me.

Of course I'd love to flash this vbios, but is it advise-able if the card has issues already at 800? Or is this just because of messing with nvidiaInspector?

Thanks for your opinion/help!

Just received my 680M yesterday and installed it in my Clevo X7200. I'd like to OC it nice and stable, not really excessively. But for some reason my Core will stay at 719 Mhz no matter which Software I try (AB, Precision, nVidiaInspector...). The Memory overclocks just fine!

I tried pushing the Core over 800 on stock vbios, (like 810/2200) but I would get Blackscreens after some minutes of gameplay.

So... can you actually change the clock or not??

So... can you actually change the clock or not??

Ah yes sorry, I forgot to mention: By writing this in a .bat file in the nVidiaInspector directory I can overclock. My best stable oc so far is 790/2300.

nvidiainspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,100 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,500 -setGPUClock:0,2,790 -setMemoryclock:0,2,2300 -forcepstate:0,2

Okay thanks, well I never fiddled with P states before so I wouldn't have thought of that :) So would you say it's "safe" to flash the vbios to my 680M? I'm not having Optimus, as I'm on a X7200, is this an issue?

Edit: I just tried to at least save my current VBIOS just to be safe. Therefore I made a DOS USB stick, booted it and wrote "nvflash.exe -b org.rom". I heard 2 beeps and the message "No Nvidia Display Adapter was found"... Why does it work just fine in Win7 but DOS doesn't even recognize it?

Edit 2: Forget Edit 1, I used an old version of nvflash, the new version 5.127 recognized it just fine :D

My Backup ROM is 157kb large, how come this modded ROM is only 50kb? Also a mate of the NBR forum sent me his stock 680M bios which is only 88kb. Is it weird that my vbios rom is so big?

My Backup ROM is 157kb large, how come this modded ROM is only 50kb?

Attach it here, or better in the Kepler vbios mod thread, and I'll take a look at it. Just Click on 'go advanced' instead of 'post reply', then it will let you choose 'manage attachements' below the post editor.

Just got my 4g 680m last week with my new Sager 9170, will try to flash this and report back with 3dmark11 bench.

Just an update: successfully flashed the vbios, I oc'ed the memory again with another 100mhz (2350mhz now). Ran 3dmark11 once and got P7700.

My question is, is it ok to use MSI afterburner for the +65mhz for core? Will that also enable the fack gpu boost like Nvidia Inspector do? Or we have to use NI?

Update 2: 980mhz Core and 2350mhz Memory, I got around average 40 fps in Crysis2 after max out every single thing + texture pack.

• Thumbs Up 1