Using your 4GB GTX 680m to its safest and full potential

I am not. Think this is the issue?

I will download it now.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you running throttlestop to prevent the CPU from losing turbo when the GPUs are active? P150EM and P170EM will do that when the GPU draws a significant amount of power.

No dice :( Same results.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed the first post is edited saying to get the newer vbios. I'm a bit confused with all the choices. Is this the equivalent and newer vbios the "Clevo 680m - 80.04.33.00.10_'OCedition'_revised_01 - OV 1025v.zip" on svl7's bios thread?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys - here is the puzzle..

Basically followed the instructions in the first post. And everything worked - but I just can't make this nvidia inspector shortcut start automatically. No matter what I do.

I tried to add it to "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

I even created a registry entry in Run folder with it - basically copying the shortcut address:

"C:\nvidiaInspector\nvidiaInspector.exe -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,144 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,450 -setVoltageOffset:0,0,0 -setTempTarget:0,1,87 " And it still does not work.

I thought that nvidia inspector maybe needs to be running? But I have no trouble after I boot into windows just double clicking the shortcut and (while nvidia inspector does not start) - clocks go up...

Any ideas? How do you do it practically on 8.1 win?

Also - I can't find anywhere what's the sustainable in the long run temperature for 680m is... In Crysis 3 I am getting FPS I want with Average being 76, max - 85... Should I downclock - or is it safe/sustainable?

I know this thread is old and basically dead but I am hoping for a little bit of help.

My 6990M recently died and I decided to upgrade to the 680M.

I have a Sager 8150 (p150hm) with 2630QM, running the clevo 80.04.29.00.01 OC edition. I also have a 180w psu. I cant seem to OC above 855/1130 without getting pink/purple jaggies and my drivers failing. I am running the newest 332.21 nvidia drivers. Am i doing something wrong or am I just less fortunate and my 680M just doesnt like being OC'd..

Thanks for any help!

• 2 weeks later...

I also have an issue with OC'ing my 680m. I tried using nvidia inspector and msi afterburner with the same outcome - mem clocks go up easily, while core clock stays in place ;/ i have yet to flash my vbios (seems like i gonna have to post some posts to get my hands on those oc-edition vbioses ;) ). And while I'm at that - newest (334.89?) nvidia drivers doesn't work well with msi gtx 680m... downgraded to 331.82, working smoothly so far

+rep. I have a GTX 680M now, and I reverted back to the stock vBios (I was intelligent enough to make a backup!) because the MSI one I flashed to it made it run hotter, and then randomly drop the clock rate to 324. Trying to get the OC edition revised though, I know this card can do better!

I went back to 314.xx drivers so far, with no results. I mostly play mechwarrior online, but tried far cry 3 - bsod attack with no hesitation. I put cpu temp, gpu temp, % loads from both units, and gpu clock on my OSD. I get video_tdr_failure (nvlddmkm.dll) when playing anything "too demanding". The point is with my specifications it should run smoothly with no problem. Temps on GPU and CPU are below 70 degrees, loads ~80%/25% respectively, still tdr_failure ;/ dont know what to do really, apart from trying new, vbios (preferably svl's). gonna go back to even older drivers and see what happens. Pretty frustrated tho ;/

for reference, my specs are:

MSI GT-0ne

i7-3630QM 2,4 ghz

GTX 680M 4 GB

16 GB RAM

750 GB HDD

ps. far cry 3 didn't last even a minute before crashing. FPS were stable for about half a minute, then the driver stopped responding, few seconds after - BSOD. I played this game before with no problem, everything started with updating the vga driver few days ago ;/

Hi I am new to ocing a laptop and was wondering how far can you oc the 680m to see a real performance boost?

This thing OCs very well :-)

You get it with the clock capped at 620 MHz, but you can get much more from it with a modded vbios. I'm running it stable at 900 MHz at stock voltage, but you can push it even further with OV (1 GHz I believe if you're lucky).

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Successful overclock report on a GT70 with a 680m.

Modified BIOS with stock voltage, ambient temp around 30C, furmark(1366x768 8XMSAA) getting temp up to 86, clocked at 888/2005.

The card did 915/2250, but it hit 90C and would start throttling, so I backed down until there was no throttling.

It looks like it'd do 980 overvolted, in a cooler ambient. All in all, I'm happy with the results.

It's pretty hot over here and I do game with the AC on, but I need the laptop to also work in the heat and in the AC.

PS: Newest Nvidia drivers, 335.23 no issues on multiple games.

EDIT: I've since cranked the clock to 915/2050, which also furmarks at 86C with an ambient temp around 30C. Unfortunately, MetroLL does cause it to throttle only a few times and for a very short periods, a couple 1-second drops (3x in a 2-hr gaming session), so I'm going to back down to 915/1974 and run some gaming tests. I'm thinking GPU speed is more important than memory bandwidth for games.

Successful OC here on an MSI GT60 with 680m 4 gb, thanks to all the useful info here. I used the 1.025V version, but I may switch to the stock voltage as I'm running into throttling due to heat around 90 deg C using 915/2250 and even 888/2005. I've read that going back to stock voltage can drop it 3-5 deg C, so I'll try that tonight.

Best 3DMark 11 score w/ OC so far is 7450

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm currently using the latest driver from Nvidia will this still be okay to flash with the Clevo Video Bios, I'm using a Clevo p170EM. I'm just being cautious, I've previously flashed a GTX 780 Ti so know what I'm doing only that would have been easier to fix if something had gone wrong as opposed to my laptop. Cheers :)

• 1 month later...

I have a Clevo/Sager 680M SLi cards. I'm using the custom ROM "Clevo 680m - 80.04.67.00.01 'OCedition' revised_01".

Which numbers should I put in the "MSI Afterburner" software to get the best performance?

Core Clock can go all the way to +405

Memory Clock can go all the way to +1000

I'm using the default, as of now!