Using your 4GB GTX 680m to its safest and full potential

Would it make much sense to flash the 1.050 V version? Do you think that's too serious an over-volting? Does it get too hot very quickly?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. 1.025V is more than enough. If you use MSI Afterburner, you should now be able to overclock the core by more than +135 MHz. I don't really recommend much over +200, as it tends to not be very stable in my experience. +190 MHz is what I usually run on the core, and anywhere from +500 to +800 on the memory.

When you overvolt, you only raise the voltage of your gpu. The memory stay at her stock voltage. A 180w PSU can contain a slight oc but not an overclocking with an overvolted vbios.

I thought it until i played Far Cry 3.

What do you mean until you played Far Cry 3? Did you experience crashes?

I should probably look for a 230W psu then? Do you know of a good model that could be found, say, on ebay?

I mean that my 180W seemed to be enough because i have finished crysis 2 from start to end @1006Mhz core /2400 Mhz memory 1v ... but when i launched FarCry3, problems began ... this games put my Psu in security (laptop shutdown for overload reason). Amazon.com: DELL ORIGINAL PA-9E ALIENWARE SLIMLINE AC Power Adapter with Power Cable for Dell Alienware M17x, M17x R3, M18x and Precision M6400, M6500, M6600: Computers & Accessories

You need to mod the Psu because the jack is not compatible with your laptop

Thx Tonrac, is there a tutorial somewhere on how to mod a jack in the way needed here? What does the mod involve? Cutting off the tip and solding a new tip? Pitty there are no ready adapters available in the desired direction (7.5mm*5mm to 2.5mm*5.5mm).

I have a "weak" processor - 3610qm. This should give me some free Watts right? :)

It is supposed to consume 10 Watts less than the 3920XM.

Thank you for this post it help me getting the knowledge about OCing a lot. One thing though. This safe to flash this with my clevo 150hm? Because in the other post there's something about not to flash with this version on 150hm due to heating problem. Thanks again, even if i won't get the answer for my question

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys I would like to let you know that I have successfully flashed my Clevo card on a P150EM, I used a rom called 915.rom I downloaded from NBR since I don't have the 5 posts here; my temperature is higher than before (fan on almost every time even without pushing the card) and the performance is the same as when I had the original bios overclocked to the maximum available on the slider. My question is , is this bios overvolted ?? Is the performance the same you are experiencing?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Hi guys I would like to let you know that I have successfully flashed my Clevo card on a P150EM, I used a rom called 915.rom I downloaded from NBR since I don't have the 5 posts here; my temperature is higher than before (fan on almost every time even without pushing the card) and the performance is the same as when I had the original bios overclocked to the maximum available on the slider. My question is , is this bios overvolted ?? Is the performance the same you are experiencing?

Yes this bios has an increased voltage of 1.025V. Default is .987V.

This bios should perform better than the default. It won't downclock the card due to high power draw. You can also use your 680m on battery now, although unless you underclock it the system will shut down since the battery can only put out around 100W.

Yes this bios has an increased voltage of 1.025V. Default is .987V.

This bios should perform better than the default. It won't downclock the card due to high power draw. You can also use your 680m on battery now, although unless you underclock it the system will shut down since the battery can only put out around 100W.

Thanks man. Do you know if this is one of the slv7 modded vbios? Which one? About the performance here are my Unigine Valley scores on extreme hd preset before and after the flash: OC'ed default bios 31.9 @ 75C ; default clocks flashed bios 31.1 @ 78C; oc'ed flashed bios 33.4fps @ 88C. Are those normal scores and temps or is it different from what ppl get?

And out of context is the psu you are using the slim vers one?how did you mod it?

Cheers

Thanks man. Do you know if this is one of the slv7 modded vbios? Which one? About the performance here are my Unigine Valley scores on extreme hd preset before and after the flash: OC'ed default bios 31.9 @ 75C ; default clocks flashed bios 31.1 @ 78C; oc'ed flashed bios 33.4fps @ 88C. Are those normal scores and temps or is it different from what ppl get?

And out of context is the psu you are using the slim vers one?how did you mod it?

Cheers

It's an early svl7 bios based on a pre-release MSI bios. Now that you have 5 posts I recommend a newer bios.

The PSU is the slim. It's necessary to swap the connector on the PSU or motherboard. Motherboard would be neater, but I can't find where to get one so I changed the PSU connector.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's an early svl7 bios based on a pre-release MSI bios. Now that you have 5 posts I recommend a newer bios.

The PSU is the slim. It's necessary to swap the connector on the PSU or motherboard. Motherboard would be neater, but I can't find where to get one so I changed the PSU connector.

I have just downloaded all of them, what is the dif between them?

I am looking for this psu mod also. Do you have some pics you could email me? also do you have the psu model number?

Ok after flashing my card with the 80.04.33.00.10 1.025ov bios I am seeing some weird behavior of it. If I leave the clocks @ default settings my GPU utilization is in the high 80's to 90's. If I overclock it to 915/2250 or 980/2250 it drops to 50's. Is this normal? Cheers

Ok after flashing my card with the 80.04.33.00.10 1.025ov bios I am seeing some weird behavior of it. If I leave the clocks @ default settings my GPU utilization is in the high 80's to 90's. If I overclock it to 915/2250 or 980/2250 it drops to 50's. Is this normal? Cheers

You are probably becoming CPU limited. Whats your proc?

You are probably becoming CPU limited. Whats your proc?

That is what I thought but I am monitoring it's use also and it is not even close to 100%. It is a 3720qm btw. Cheers

Can someone link me to the page about reflashing the bios + vbios for the GTX680M? I have the files, unsure how to perform the upgrade. Also I am unsure how to check system bios...Any help? Yes I am a noob. Soz. Im running windows 8 if that helps...

Cheers

Can someone link me to the page about reflashing the bios + vbios for the GTX680M? I have the files, unsure how to perform the upgrade. Also I am unsure how to check system bios...Any help? Yes I am a noob. Soz. Im running windows 8 if that helps...

Cheers

Boot to win and go to change pc settings (charm bar), then general, advanced start up, select troubleshoot then change UEFI settings and restart. On the BIOS you can check your system bios and ec version. To check the vbios is simpler just run gpu-z on windows. Now for flashing there is a thread about it but resuming it you have to create a DOS USB drive copy the bios or vbios files plus the nvflash files (only if flashing video card). Repeat the process above and when on the BIOS go to boot select OS and instead of win 8 choose others and disable UEFI. Now restart and boot to the USB drive. I hope I am clear enough. Read and search on the forums so you are sure of what you are doing. Cheers

Have done a bit of testing over here :)

Setup is:

Clevo P370EM

i7-3740QM (41x40x39x39)

Clevo 680m SLI

16GB DDR3-1600 at 9-9-9-24

128GB SSD

------

Flashed using the 33.10 VBIOS. Scored 12.5k 3DMark11 and 35k on Vantage.

Tried running the OV version of 33.10 and my scores ended up dropping (even at same frequencies).

Stable on the non-OV version was 980/2400.

Again, the same frequencies on the OV version actually dropped my scores. While I did not have any issues in game, I had issues when benching.

Finally, I tried using the MSI version of the OV bios on my Clevo cards. They work fine :) However, no score improvement.

My GPU temp isn't exceeding 80c. I tried keeping my processor at stock clocks to see if it would help with power draw. No dice.

Anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

This actually seems to be a common issue - at least I've seen it on the forums once or twice with no real response.

The power block on the P370EM is 300w. Should be no issue there.

The only things I can think of are:

-The GPU temp is actually hitting 90c but my monitoring programs are inaccurate.

-Power draw from other components are causing the GPU's to throttle.

....Pretty lost.

I will say that I'm not too concerned as my in-game experience is great. I am just curious on the benching results.

Any thoughts?

Have done a bit of testing over here :)

Setup is:

Clevo P370EM

i7-3740QM (41x40x39x39)

Clevo 680m SLI

16GB DDR3-1600 at 9-9-9-24

128GB SSD

------

Flashed using the 33.10 VBIOS. Scored 12.5k 3DMark11 and 35k on Vantage.

Tried running the OV version of 33.10 and my scores ended up dropping (even at same frequencies).

Stable on the non-OV version was 980/2400.

Again, the same frequencies on the OV version actually dropped my scores. While I did not have any issues in game, I had issues when benching.

Finally, I tried using the MSI version of the OV bios on my Clevo cards. They work fine :) However, no score improvement.

My GPU temp isn't exceeding 80c. I tried keeping my processor at stock clocks to see if it would help with power draw. No dice.

Anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

This actually seems to be a common issue - at least I've seen it on the forums once or twice with no real response.

The power block on the P370EM is 300w. Should be no issue there.

The only things I can think of are:

-The GPU temp is actually hitting 90c but my monitoring programs are inaccurate.

-Power draw from other components are causing the GPU's to throttle.

....Pretty lost.

I will say that I'm not too concerned as my in-game experience is great. I am just curious on the benching results.

Any thoughts?

Are you running throttlestop to prevent the CPU from losing turbo when the GPUs are active? P150EM and P170EM will do that when the GPU draws a significant amount of power.