Using your 4GB GTX 680m to its safest and full potential

FYI, This VBIOS did NOT work on my MSI 680M. I flashed and restarted, and my card was not detected. Looks like it only works on Clevo systems.

It works, but you have to modify the nvidia driver INF's to recognize the card. I really don't care for having to do that, so I just continued using the stock VBios for now. Waiting for Svl to put out a new vbios for use with the MSI GT70.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just figured I'd reply here that using svl's latest MSI bios, I've been running all afternoon and evening through 3DMark11 and various games (5 hours of Borderlands 2 atm....) at 1 GHz core and 2.4 GHz memory. Not a huge overclock (+230 or so on core, +600 on memory), but enough to be rather noticeable. I saw my 3DMark11 scores jump up a good 1000 points alone with the overclock.

While this is mostly comparing temperatures while gaming, but I was running at 68C for 90% of the Borderlands 2 gaming time, the other 10% was heating up in between loading screens and such.

I'm quite happy, and I didn't have to use anything strange like nvidia inspector or nothing. It just lets me overclock it right in MSI Afterburner. I haven't tried to push the limits at this point, might try a bit higher later once I'm happy with this.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent guide, going from a fresh 680m install with stock drivers my 3dmark score went up from 5945 to 7375. I did however notice that the card was still very happy to throttle itself with this bios, dropping vcore and frequency quite quickly. (maybe that was also caused because I hadn't forced "Performance" mode for the benchmark/sims applications in NVidia CPL.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all - great thread! OK, I'm suffering from a little noobishness here, and appreciate advice on some simple items. 1) The original post by Widezu69 suggests an MSI Vbios. I'm using Clevo 4GB 680s in SLI...should I be using an MSI BIOS, or go for a Clevo vBIOS? 2) I think there are appropriate updated versions of both the Clevo and the MSI BIOS in sv17's Keplar OC thread. Problem is, I don't know which ones to choose...should I just go for the Clevo or MSI vbios that is marked 1.025v (because that is the voltage of the one posted by Widezu69)? And if so, will the vbios's posted by sv17 be clocked to the 915/1125(2250) Mhz rate mentioned by Widezu69? Thanks for considering these questions!

Well... first of all it's svl7 ;):P This thread is a bit outdated, especially the vbios. The mods in the Kepler thread are the better choice. You should be able to reach 915MHz on the core even if you're at stock voltage, in case you run into stability issues (unlikely) then go for the 1.0V vbios. Whether MSI or Clevo depends on your system and card. If you have an MSI card, use the MSI, for Clevo cards Clevo... pretty simple. Only restriction is that systems based on the Clevo P1x0HM will only work properly with the MSI Oem vbios (.24 something in the version) or the oldest Clevo vbios posted (.29 something in the version).

Thank you svl7 for clarifying. Stability has been a concern...seems like when I get to around +180 gpu clock / +175 memory clock 3dmark crashes hard requiring a reboot (well Ive done that twice anyway). Games seem to run OK. Would you guys expect that crash in 3dMark at that level of OC? I'm using svl7's unlocked Clevo vbios. A key bit of knowledge I'll admit I don't understand are the stock clocks for the 680s - like what they are ;-). If someone could let me know that, I'd be grateful. Let me know if I should move this to the Kepler thread....

Thank you svl7 for clarifying. Stability has been a concern...seems like when I get to around +180 gpu clock / +175 memory clock 3dmark crashes hard requiring a reboot (well Ive done that twice anyway). Games seem to run OK. Would you guys expect that crash in 3dMark at that level of OC? I'm using svl7's unlocked Clevo vbios. A key bit of knowledge I'll admit I don't understand are the stock clocks for the 680s - like what they are ;-). If someone could let me know that, I'd be grateful. Let me know if I should move this to the Kepler thread....

Found my answer :-) 720MHz / 1800MHz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I have a M73-2N laptop from One. Is is equipped with an MSI 4GB GTX 680m card.

My current vbios version is: 80.04.33.00.24

Motherboard: MS-16F3

What vbios version should i use, if i want to overclock the card in the way described here?

Thx in advance for any help!

Is someone able to install standard drivers on this modified vbios? The drivers provided in the first post install ok but i was wondering if there is a way to make the standard drivers say version 314 work. I tried manipulating the nvcvn.inf file of the standard drivers a bit but couldn't make them work: "This graphics drivers could not find compatible graphics hardware"

I'm trying to add the line

%NVIDIA_DEV.11A0.0000.1462% = Section074, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_00001462 in the section " [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.2]"

(PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_00001462 is one of the Hardware ids of the card after flashing the custom vbios)

and also the line: DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_00001462 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M " in the section "Strings"

to the nvcvn.inf

SOLVED

I found a modded .inf file:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/30049-v31407-windows-8-64bit-nvidia-oem-mobile/

Is someone able to install standard drivers on this modified vbios? The drivers provided in the first post install ok but i was wondering if there is a way to make the standard drivers say version 314 work. I tried manipulating the nvcvn.inf file of the standard drivers a bit but couldn't make them work: "This graphics drivers could not find compatible graphics hardware"

I'm trying to add the line

%NVIDIA_DEV.11A0.0000.1462% = Section074, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_00001462 in the section " [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.2]"

(PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_00001462 is one of the Hardware ids of the card after flashing the custom vbios)

and also the line: DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_00001462 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M " in the section "Strings"

to the nvcvn.inf

SOLVED

I found a modded .inf file:

v314.07 Windows 8 64bit | NVIDIA OEM Mobile - 31x Series GeForce Driver release - LaptopVideo2Go Forums

You really shouldn't be using the VBios from the first post...it's pretty bad.....

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html

use that one instead.

You don't need custom drivers from laptopvideo2go either...you can use the standard ones from NVidia.

Thx darkhawn, i just thought that because this thread is more recent, the vbios here would be better :)

What about this boost feature that is mentioned in the first post? Is it unimportant?

i flashed an MSI vbios with 1.025 OV now (from the second post in the thread you posted) and it has stock clocks and memory. Is it the case that now overclocking would be more stable and overall performance better than on the standard vbios?

Thx darkhawn, i just thought that because this thread is more recent, the vbios here would be better :)

What about this boost feature that is mentioned in the first post? I it unimportant?

i flashed an MSI vbios with 1.025 OV now (from the second post in the thread you posted) and it has stock clocks and memory. Is it the case that now overclocking would be more stable and overall performance better than on the standard vbios?

Yep that's right. You will find it will OC a lot higher now and be rock stable! Go go go. . :purplebananna: