[M14x R2] - 'unlocked' BIOS versions

svl7

True, but Secure Boot only helps for security if it is turned on by default, else there are still ways to install a rootkit and modify the bootloader.

Even though it fixes some holes, I really don't like the restrictions Secure Boot brings, especially when it comes to other OSes, namely Linux distributions.

Whether upgrading to A08 is a good or bad idea is hard to say at this point, but I still have my issues with Secure Boot.

Not yet, you're right... I should finally mod some M14x stuff. Too many mods to do recently... I'll see what I can do.

Thank you very much! I look forward to it. I have yet to use a modified bios because I was hoping to get a modified a04. I have had my m14x for about a week and have already re-pasted so I am ready to overclock more. :)

New member here, glad to see so many awesome work done by you guys.

Is there by any chance, where the bios allows us to adjust the fan speed manually on the M14X R2? (Or any programmes)

www.hwinfo.com

Free!

HWiNFO my friend... Its a great software. Install go to configure and find EC & LPC and uncheck leaving SW SMI enabled. Hit okay and let it open. Go to sensor windows and open it from the system tray menu. Click the fan Icon and select auto and select the temp sensor to use with it like Digital Thermal Sensor or Dell EC etc. The fan table should already be set up. Once you hit okay out of that menu fans should ramp up by temps on the sensor. Adjust the fan table by changing the temps next to the fan speed you prefer at certain ranges. If you just want them maxed out for gaming you dont have to setup a auto profile you may just slide fans speed over to max and hit manual control. Otherwise additionally you can automatically use max fan speed if you prefer to stay cool during any and all use by setting all the fan table entries to max rpm so 3800rpm on SW-SMI ec control IE Dell.

If you want higher fan speeds available use EC +LPC but disable SW-SMI in config and higher ranges will be available but this method has shown to be less stable on some systems which is derived from its interaction with the EC using Compal method.

You can learn more right from the website, here at our own Sub Forum for HWiNFO support or see my review slash guide to most features available in our review section at top of forum page under HWiNFO. It shows pics of how to configure and each method of fan control amongst more.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

www.hwinfo.com

Free!

HWiNFO my friend... Its a great software. Install go to configure and find EC & LPC and uncheck leaving SW SMI enabled. Hit okay and let it open. Go to sensor windows and open it from the system tray menu. Click the fan Icon and select auto and select the temp sensor to use with it like Digital Thermal Sensor or Dell EC etc. The fan table should already be set up. Once you hit okay out of that menu fans should ramp up by temps on the sensor. Adjust the fan table by changing the temps next to the fan speed you prefer at certain ranges. If you just want them maxed out for gaming you dont have to setup a auto profile you may just slide fans speed over to max and hit manual control. Otherwise additionally you can automatically use max fan speed if you prefer to stay cool during any and all use by setting all the fan table entries to max rpm so 3800rpm on SW-SMI ec control IE Dell.

If you want higher fan speeds available use EC +LPC but disable SW-SMI in config and higher ranges will be available but this method has shown to be less stable on some systems which is derived from its interaction with the EC using Compal method.

You can learn more right from the website, here at our own Sub Forum for HWiNFO support or see my review slash guide to most features available in our review section at top of forum page under HWiNFO. It shows pics of how to configure and each method of fan control amongst more.

(I'm not sure if I should quote this entire post, but anyways)

Wow, thanks for the detailed instructions! I really appreciated it a lot. I will definitely download the application and try it out once I receive my Alienware in a couple days. I don't mind the loud noise from the fan because I use headphones anyways, and I want a cooler notebook!

Firstly I'll do a disassembly first to replace the thermal paste though, I remember seeing it in this forum! I currently have the Arctic MX-4 stored somewhere. :)

(I'm not sure if I should quote this entire post, but anyways)

Wow, thanks for the detailed instructions! I really appreciated it a lot. I will definitely download the application and try it out once I receive my Alienware in a couple days. I don't mind the loud noise from the fan because I use headphones anyways, and I want a cooler notebook!

Firstly I'll do a disassembly first to replace the thermal paste though, I remember seeing it in this forum! I currently have the Arctic MX-4 stored somewhere. :)

no problem see here Products and User Reviews -- Tech|Inferno Forum and click HWiNFO for a quick write up on most of the functions of HWiNFO. Cheers

Since you're reading a thread about unlocked bios you should read the following if you haven't done it already:

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/2252-information-about-bios-updates-a07-a08-higher-m14xr2-m17xr4-m18xr2.html

Awesome. Surprisingly, my Alienware was shipped in A02 bios. So now I'm kinda in a dilema which to upgrade to. Of course, a bios which allows the disabling of charging the battery while plugged in to a AC(just like the older alienwares) will be the best!

Since I have nothing to lose, and I consider myself somewhat technically competent, I decided to try some experiments with mine. Starting with the A08 stock, I was unable to install the A04 firmware with the InsydeFlash tool per previous posting. The A09 firmware installed without a hitch. The A08 firmware installed over the A09 firmware also without a hitch.

I then flashed the A09 firmware (A09.fd) using the USB recovery method just to ensure that this method still works. Did not work. I tried renaming the A09 file to match the stock A04 file. Still did not work. In both cases I see some LED flashing on the USB stick and then nothing. The system just sits with the fans spinning and the power button lights going through their color cycle. No beeps, no evidence of a firmware flash.

I stopped at this point. I figure it's just a matter of getting the correct name for the firmware file for the Insyde firmware to pick it up. My GoogleFu is failing to find this information and lunch takes priority over hacking since I'm hungry and I sometimes make mistakes when I'm hungry.

Good news, everyone.

I successfully flashed Dell's stock A04 firmware over A09 this morning using the recovery method. Restored the default firmware settings and started up without difficulty plus one reboot for device changes. If you bricked your M14x then try the recovery procedure again, try again with a cleanly formatted flash drive, or try with a different flash drive.

I was then able to flash svl7's unlocked A03 firmware using the provided InsydeFlash tool.

Edit:

I was also able to flash the stock A04 over the unlocked A03 with the InsydeFlash tool. Looks like a working 'down'grade.

• Thumbs Up 3

correct, svl7 has been very helpful and I took a risk but shit happens and it didn't work :-)

So your situation is not like Ratinox's in that you can't get back to stock firmware now? You sir I have a lot of respect for. For having your system not working now even knowing the risks you have a very positive attitude. There is no way to recover like Ratinox did? Is this from how it was flashed back to A04 vs how Ratinox proceedes?

So your situation is not like Ratinox's in that you can't get back to stock firmware now? You sir I have a lot of respect for. For having your system not working now even knowing the risks you have a very positive attitude. There is no way to recover like Ratinox did? Is this from how it was flashed back to A04 vs how Ratinox proceedes?

No I couldn't recover at all. I followed the procedure and tried the recovery method but it seemed to be doing something and was beeping as it was supposed to but after it restarted it continued to beep and then after a second reboot it was completely dead. The bios I used was flashing over a09 with default a03. I was just unlucky but that's life.

• 6 months later...

One question : After upgrading BIOS to the unlocked A11, Windows won't start - it gets to a blue screen and then reboots instantly. I laubnched startup repair and it says it cannot repair Windows. There are 7 problem signatures, which I will be checking right now.

NVM, just went to bios and changed from SATA Operation from RAID to AHCI. Now it works like a charm. WEll, I hope I'll save enough money to make that SSD Raid goodnes happen for me someday too :)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...