Planning to get my M15x liquid cooled

Jahnsinn

Hi folks.

I'm thinking about my laptop liquid chilled. So far I got almost all the parts I need to do it. The only thing left is a cpu/gpu block. Unfortunately I can't find one which is not higher than 7mm. Even a thin plate with pipes to the side would do. I also was thinking about adjusting the stock heat sink. Removing the copper pipes and fitting a thin water plate. But I can't find anything which would looking like that.

Aquatuning - Der Wasserkhlung Vollsortimenter

That's my shopping card with the bits I would buy. These parts are either for CPU or GPU. If you want to cool both, just add two of the T-hose connectors like that: Aquatuning - Der Wasserkhlung Vollsortimenter - 8/6mm (6x1mm) T Schlauchverbinder 8/6mm (6x1mm) T Schlauchverbinder 62021

Now my question...

In case you know what I mean where could I get such a flat cooler plate or block? As you can see on top at the shopping card I added a core cooler, but this one is way to high :/

From the CPU die the back of the laptop cover I got 10mm. From the GPU die to the cover I got 7mm.

In theory all that should work...

• Thumbs Up 1

That's a really good question. I try to get two of these blocks: Thermaltakeusa*»*Thermaltakeusa*»*W2 : W2 CL-W0088 . But unfortunately they don't produce it anymore. eBay didn't find anything. It's a bit tricky but I definitely don't give up ;) The holes should fit. If not I could adjust it a bit or fit an additional holder to it. I will see as soon as I get it. The option would be to disassemble that one: Thermaltake Tide Water Plus Cooler - image detail - Softpedia . There I would have a two water blocks, a tiny pump and radiator. Actually everything to build a small circuit when using my laptop on the go. A second circuit wouldn't be that complicate to intigrate into it. But this water cooler isn't available anymore, too. I'm getting mad of this :S Another option would be to cut off the die plate of the existing heat sink and fit the block to that. So the VRAM would get could with no much trouble. Need to think about that now with a chilled wheat beer... cheers

Interesting idea. I once made a new laptop cooler using a CNC waterjet. Didn't turn out that well because I did not know what exactly heat pipes were at the time.

There are some things I am not clear on. Why do you care about distance to the back plate for this setup? It seems to me that the laptop will have to be fixed in place for this setup, so just run it with the plate off and extend beyond. If you are actually trying to make the liquid cooling system fully contained, this project is a bad idea. The whole idea of liquid cooling is that using circulating water allows you to transfer heat greater distances, so you can then have the water travel through a much larger radiator than what can be used in air cooling. All you would be doing is transferring the heat from the cpu to the radiator more efficiently. A much more practical, cheap, and likely to succeed idea would be to add more heatpipes and up your fan speed. The fan is likely controlled by a small controller chip on the LPC bus (modern version of ISA. used when SMBus is too low bandwidth but using the PCI-E would be overkill). You can likely fool the fan controller into outputting higher voltages for higher fan speeds by modding its voltage feedback loop.

If you want to do the extreme for a fully contained system, I would recommend adding a 2nd air cooler. Just take out the CDROM drive and put a fan/radiator there. I suggest getting a full replacement cooler meant to be the primary cooler for a laptop and working with that. Leave your originally cooling unmoddified, and just have additional heatpipes go to the CPU and GPU. You can't really bend around heatpipes that have already been flattened, so you'll probably have to remove the one that the cooler came with and replace it with another. You can buy heatpipes from enertron. They sell straight pipes at reasonable prices for many lengths and diameters. You can't cut heatpipes since they must retain their internal moisture, or else they just turn into dumb copper, which is virtually worthless for heat transfer over distance (I am personally familiar with this). You can shape the pipes using a pipe bender like you would for brake lines on a car. Then you must flatten the areas to be bonded to the radiator and processor blocks with a vice. I would not try to solder on the heatpipes and just use a thermal epoxy. It will require a lot of heat to properly bond (remember it's meant to take heat away. It also does that when soldering), and the radiator will likely be a lot of individual fins soldered together, which can all fall apart if melted.

Hope everything goes well.

• Founder

Sounds like an awesome project, a few others have used the tidewater WC for their notebooks but they were powering them externally which kinda defeated the purpose of having it. If you can fit everything inside + power internally, it should yield some very nice results. How do you plan to cool the radiator? That should be one of the biggest challenges. Its been a while since I built a WC system, last one was several years ago but it was a really nice custom made one using a lian li case, german aqua computer reservoir (with blue LED), blocks etc.

First I thought I do it all internally like Asetek in the M18x:

. Of course everything has to be custom and is combined with too much work. Also with an internal cooling solution you will never reach the temps I would like to have, ~5-8°C. Also it's still quite noisy as soon as the fans start running. The only way to do that is an external chiller: Waterchiller Hailea Ultra Titan 200 (HC150=165Watt cooling capacity) |Specialtech UK Water Cooling Shop . So I filled my basket in the online shop. Additionally I will use a passive radiator for idle mode. The chiller doesn't have to run all the time.

The reason why I don't wanna have a big block which is looking outside the chassis is, in my eyes, quite simple. Additionally I'd need a seperate stand to my laptop cooler I've already got. So the laptop gets higher again. Furthermore the blocks for CPU/GPU would be prone to break the cpu, mainboard or gpu if you just put your laptop to the side without stand or slips of the stand. That's why I decided to use a really tiny water block to keep everything not higher than the actual laptop is. I will remove the fans and heatpipes and lead the pipes across the stock VRAM heatsinks, where the standard copper pipes went through to cool them and finally through the back of the laptop. There I've got a good spot I can place my quick couplings for easy removing the laptop from the rest of the water system.

I played with the idea fitting a tiny pump to the place the fan has been to enable a small circuit so the laptop would be still handy. Throttling down power of cpu and gpu to not to produce too much heat should technically feasible. A short hose outside from one to the other quick connector should be enough cooling to handle that bit of heat.Actually it isn't too complicated but unfortunately I can't find such a small 5V DC pump. Maybe I will do it some day when I found I was looking for.

I was looking everywhere for the tide water PCI cooler what @Brian mentioned: http://gadgets.softpedia.com/images/gadgets/gallery/large/Thermaltake-Tide-Water-Plus-1.jpg

there I would have propper water blocks, a very tiny pump and even a radiator I could rob out of it. But the production is discontinued and ebay doesn't have it as well. So I would be more than appreciated if one of you would know where to get one.

yeah, you're the man @moral hazard !! can't be in long, have been looking for that one for a few weeks now since I gave it up. So the idea of a small circuit revived :)

Great! I wish you luck in this endeavor. We have seen a few attempts at this and it would be cool to see this accomplished. Your doing awesome in its conception I hope you have the best success you can. Awesome project Jahnsinn :)

Thanks @mw86 :) Unfortunately two of the parts will arrive later. So I first will just install the passive colling. The other parts arrive in the first week of October. So won't take too long to get the chiller included in the system to get freezing temps ;)

I'm really looking forward to it. Parts should arrive in the middle of next week :))))

Thanks @mw86 :) Unfortunately two of the parts will arrive later. So I first will just install the passive colling. The other parts arrive in the first week of October. So won't take too long to get the chiller included in the system to get freezing temps ;)

I'm really looking forward to it. Parts should arrive in the middle of next week :))))

Wow cool thats awesome that you should have it going by October. It sucks waiting for stuff like this, its like being a kid at Christmas

• 2 weeks later...

All done so far. Still waiting for the gpu water block. After that has arrived I'm ready to fit everything :)

Had a bit more custom work to do as I thought but a test run with just the cpu was just amazing. All working so far :)))

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...