Poll: Should i cancel my m17x-R3 order and wait for the m18x ?

Michael

Should I cancel the M17x-R3 and wait for M18x ?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should I cancel the M17x-R3 and wait for M18x ?

• Yeah, cancel!
    • Forget that overpriced brick, stick with the M17x-R3!

• Founder

So, my order for the R3 is being delayed and now that we have confirmation of the m18x i am inclined to cancel my R3 order and patiently wait for the availability of the m18x.

Advantages of it would be

• the dual 6970/485 setup
  • hopefully a metallic body
  • hopefully better build quality
  • bigger screen

the disadvantages as i see them are

• weight
  • price

Your thoughts ?

Eric G on this blog mentioned "another" screen in plan for M18x. Whatever it is, I guess it can't be worse than the regular R3 WLED screen. :) So I would add "Hopefully a better screen". I vote cancel too.

Btw why did you order R3? It seems marginally better than R2 (and that seems to depend which game we're looking at), it has worse screen and worse build quality.

If the weight is concern, I doubt the 18" crossfire beast will be any ligther than M17x. In that case, why not wait for M14x with me? :D

• Founder

Hey there unreal ;)

Thanks for your opinion.

The reason i ordered the R3 is because i had an excellent opportunity to sell my R2 for the same price i bought it (due to price differences between Israel and USA where i bought it)

So i was sitting on my cash and waiting for the M18x when Brian here got the R3 and told me how cool and how light it is, and me being in a state of AW withdrawal (We decided it's a true medical term :D) decided to go for it.

And yeah, weight is a benefit but 6970 XF is hard to pass on.

• Founder

I really do hope they make the M18x out of some metal rather than full on plastic/rubber like the R3. If that turns out to be the case, I may be tempted to sell my R3.

That's neat. I might see if I can sell mine when I go home. It's just: a) I don't feel like dragging M17x on a crossatlantic flight and B) I just like this laptop too much. :)

The weight is certainly the advantage but I am not that sure what to think of R3 build quality and the new screen downgrade. It's puzzling they offer XPS laptops with better screens. I was contemplating the idea of just getting a single laptop and using it with a DIY ViDock for gaming (in that case it would def be Thinkpad X220) and getting an external IPS screen. But I don't think I can be bothered with spending that much time on all that, so might as well stick with what I have now.

Do you move the laptop around much?

P.S. AW Withdrawal - I know! :D

• Founder

Haha, nice one mw86 ;) Like!

I actually have tried calling Dell twice and canceling the order, but the reps tell me that it's impossible to cancel at that stage and my only option is to deny the package so it goes back to Dell and i am then reimbursed.

To tell you the truth, i know that i want the M18x only to have the most powerful machine (and top quality) that i can, but if i look at my usage patterns (i need portability cause i move it a lot, i need battery life and i don't game as much as i used to, i need it mostly for work so good CPU + lots of mem + SSD) and be "adult" about it i can see how the R3 is a better fit for me.

Decisions.... Decisions....

• Founder

Realistically the M17x-R3 makes sense for you and me Michael since we don't game heavily anymore. But knowing how much we crave power in a small form factor, the M18x will be calling us--like those sirens that would tempt men lol. OT: I saw that stealth bomber at a local air show, it looks quite deadly up close, especially when it's flying really low. I got a chance to touch it too, didn't feel exactly like metal.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
i am gonna vote for the R3 in the poll.

It's decided :)

Oh this is far from decided, you're just suffering from AW withdrawl and just want SOMETHING AW related in your hands ASAP. Since the R3 should be shipping soon, you don't want to wait any longer..am I right?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Oh this is far from decided, you're just suffering from AW withdrawl and just want SOMETHING AW related in your hands ASAP. Since the R3 should be shipping soon, you don't want to wait any longer..am I right?

u got me

haha!

• Thumbs Up 1

Realistically the M17x-R3 makes sense for you and me Michael since we don't game heavily anymore. But knowing how much we crave power in a small form factor, the M18x will be calling us--like those sirens that would tempt men lol. OT: I saw that stealth bomber at a local air show, it looks quite deadly up close, especially when it's flying really low. I got a chance to touch it too, didn't feel exactly like metal.

Dammit, they are cutting the corners on their build quality too! Where does it end?! :D

I don't game that much too any more but I'll be still playing some new games, like Star Wars MMO and such. About the R3, I'd consider swapping my R2 for it maybe if it had a good (B+RG LED, RGB LED or IPS) screen. I'd go even for 14" version if it had a better screen. I know there's XPS 15 but I am not buying that crap- also the graphics performance is a joke.

• Thumbs Up 1

i am gonna vote for the R3 in the poll.

It's decided :)

might prove incorrect, but based on previous rumors/speculations/patterns, predict the M18x will essentially be same system (ie: finish/panel/motherboard) as the M17x R3 only with dual gpu's and @inch larger screen (@size & weight of M17x R2). so your choice may be spot on for best balance of power/portability...

Edited by vikingrinn
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

^^ i tend to agree here.

Still, a little voice in the back of my head will always whisper that i can have a stronger system :)

Less so if the finish will be plastic-y as the R3.

I'll leave it to luck, since Dell won't let me cancel my order now i am keeping it, if i see they start delaying my EDD i'll have a chance to cancel and then i will (or not), hell, let's wait and see :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah Michael how long can you put up with Chuck Norris kicking M18X around the inside of your head before Charlie Sheen bursts out of your head riding the M18X mothership to his home planet exclaiming Winning all along the way.

• Founder

So, good news. The rep that was following my case just called and said that she say i tried to cancel the order yesterday and that she did cancel it for me.

Nice of her :)

Right now i'll wait for the specs of the m18x and decide, in case i still decide to go with R3 i might pick a used one to save on costs and time.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Dammit, they are cutting the corners on their build quality too! Where does it end?! :D

I don't game that much too any more but I'll be still playing some new games, like Star Wars MMO and such. About the R3, I'd consider swapping my R2 for it maybe if it had a good (B+RG LED, RGB LED or IPS) screen. I'd go even for 14" version if it had a better screen. I know there's XPS 15 but I am not buying that crap- also the graphics performance is a joke.

Haha who knows, they do source out to the lowest parts contractor like Dell. I agree about the screen, it would be nice if the 60 hz version was IPS or B+RG, there was no reason for Dell to cheap out on it.

might prove incorrect, but based on previous rumors/speculations/patterns, predict the M18x will essentially be same system (ie: finish/panel/motherboard) as the M17x R3 only with dual gpu's and @inch larger screen (@size & weight of M17x R2). so your choice may be spot on for best balance of power/portability...

This may possibly be true although I still hold hope that they improve the M18x screen and offer something other than just WLED. Perhaps build quality may be a little more rugged but that's wishful thinking.

So, good news. The rep that was following my case just called and said that she say i tried to cancel the order yesterday and that she did cancel it for me.

Nice of her :)

Right now i'll wait for the specs of the m18x and decide, in case i still decide to go with R3 i might pick a used one to save on costs and time.

Haha I know M18x is in your future, just embrace it!

• Thumbs Up 1

You see Michael it is win win for you either way now. Save a great deal of money on deal for R3 and get yourself a deal on one of those 2920XM's and your ahead of the game. That's if you don't manage to give in to the darkside and get the Blackbird M18X edition with the included "Tiger Blood". "Winning" Cough cough