Decreasing TDP of the M14x R2 to lower heat

thanats007

Hi this is mainly directed to the mods or any other people who can help me in this issue.

I want to lower the temperature of the CPU by decreasing the TDP in the advanced CPU BIOS options. The idea is that the CPU doesnt need to run at its max turbo boost for gaming and can be decreased. Also interesting would be how much you could enhance the battery life by decreasing the TDP.

Since the BIOS of the M14x R2 has inbuilt Overclocking options for the CPU like the Desktop Ivy Bridge CPUs there is also the possibility to "Underclock" it to decrease TDP and heat. If this is even a good idea im not sure since it could also be the case that Ivy Bridge has in auto mode the possibility to use only the TDP it actually needs so there would be no real need to do something with the BIOS settings. But since you can only enable or disable Turbo in Windows by setting max CPU power settings to 99% my idea was to have a more detailed possibility for clockspeed and temperatures.

The functions im talking about are:

Override Turbo settings Allows you to override CPU turbo mode settings.
Long Duration Power Limit Allows you to set the turbo mode power limit 1 value in watts.
Long Duration Time Window Allows you to set the turbo mode time 1 value in seconds.
Short Duration Power Limit Allows you to enable or disable short duration power limit.
Short Duration Time Window

Allows you to set the turbo mode power limit 2 value in watts.

@Thanats - Do you want Turbo enabled at all? Do you still want some Turbo? (it will depend on this answer as to how to setup the Turbo/long/short settings. I have messed with this quite a bit. Most games wont notice a large difference with Turbo disabled. I can tell you that games like the newly released GW2 can use the CPU more so than games like BF3 which in my opinion makes little difference.

@Thanats - Do you want Turbo enabled at all? Do you still want some Turbo? (it will depend on this answer as to how to setup the Turbo/long/short settings. I have messed with this quite a bit. Most games wont notice a large difference with Turbo disabled. I can tell you that games like the newly released GW2 can use the CPU more so than games like BF3 which in my opinion makes little difference.

Yes thats the idea. Disabling Turbo and setting advanced energy options for the cores in windows is the way im using my M14x R2 currently cause the summer is not over yet and it overheats too much with Turbo on even after repaste.

So i want enabled Turbo but was thinking about lowering the TDP and so the heat the CPU produces by setting the long/short durations of how much watts are allowed. I want a kinda "Downclocking Guide" or "UnderTDPing Guide" for the needed settings of the advanced CPU Overclocking settings.

A mod to make my CPU to a ULV 2 core CPU which only needs like 20-30 TDP would be godlike since i cant put the i7-3667u into the M14x R2 but thats just dreaming.

• 2 weeks later...