gt640m ddr5 or gt650m ddr3

im about to purchase a new notebook and have the choice of either samsung np700z5c-s01 with a gt640m with 1gig ddr5 or the np550p7c-s02 with gt650m 2gig ddr3 both are i7 3rd gen. i have searched everywhere for a copy of the 700z5c-s01 bios so i can get someone to confirm its moddable and mod it to run at gtx660m speeds but have had no luck. does anyone have any experience with these laptops and could assist me in making a decision

• 4 weeks later...
im about to purchase a new notebook and have the choice of either samsung np700z5c-s01 with a gt640m with 1gig ddr5 or the np550p7c-s02 with gt650m 2gig ddr3 both are i7 3rd gen. i have searched everywhere for a copy of the 700z5c-s01 bios so i can get someone to confirm its moddable and mod it to run at gtx660m speeds but have had no luck. does anyone have any experience with these laptops and could assist me in making a decision

First of all, if u have to get one, IMO get the 650..

My housemate just got the laptop with the gt650m . Its a powerful machine.. runs rather cool too.. HOWEVER, I would like to advise you against it if you need a good screen. :D ... The screen quality is a bit 'muddy'.. haha.. BUT for the current price. Less than 600 quid for students, its a steal.

Not sure whether the BIOSes are moddable though. I will check with him and come back to u

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I would go with the 650m, t has higher memory bandwidth and better fill-rate and higher stock clocks,.

Did you see that it is quite opposite here? This Gt640M is GDDR5 with higher bandwidth while 650M is with only GDDR3.

I know it's old thread but I would pick 640M for sure.

• 1 month later...

It seems like they share the same core just runs at different speeds. I would also pick whichever one has the GDDR5. I had a similar decision to make when picking between the Lenovo Y500 and the Y580. The Y500 has a 650M w/ GDDR5 and the Y580 has a 660M w/ GDDR5. I decided to go with the Y500 because of the SLi capability, and the fact that the 650M and 660M are the same chip running at different speeds. The Y500 is also said to have better cooling than the Y580 and at least from my perspective, I run my GPU at 1155mhz and the GDDR5 memory at 2555mhz when gaming. Haven't really seen many Y580s that can overclock at those speeds.

• 2 weeks later...