Went to a Tesla showroom today

Brian

• Founder

Had a chance to stop by a Tesla showroom today while at some upscale mall and managed to snap a few up close pics of the cars there. I'm a fan of Tesla and think the company has a lot of potential, the designs are fantastic for an EV car and once they overcome their small quirks, I think they'll have a pretty big impact on the market. Their designs blow away any other North American manufacturer and the company being based out of California just makes it all the better for me. Once I finish residency, I'll probably pick one up for myself:

post-5-14494993568342_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494993571359_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494993574423_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494993577186_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494993580081_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494993582942_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494993585902_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494993589089_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494993592026_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494993594985_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494993597857_thumb.jpg

post-5-1449499360278_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494993605959_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

What's the range before charging and how long does a charge take (from a normal household outlet)?

Or are they hybrids? Haven't kept up with electric vehicles really, not until they make something faster than my GSX-R. :D

• Founder

I think the range was 160+ miles per charge but don't quote me on that. I was told charge time is ten minutes and that their batteries are thermally managed and thus capable of withstanding extreme temperatures.

Cost starts around $57000 and can be configured as high as $92000 or near that.

Sent from my GT-N7000

That range isn't bad, and the charging time sounds pretty good. Too good, TBH.

Tesla website -

"Charging rate of 56 miles range per hour at max power The High Power Wall Connector is the fastest way to charge the Roadster and great for installation in a garage or outdoor parking area. Completely recharge – from empty to full – in less than 4 hours. This is the most “intelligent” connector making it ideal for long-term storage. Any certified electrician can install this unit."

That's what kills them as a viable personal option unfortunately, I live in a really big country, and 500km (300m) trips are relatively common for me. Their mobile adapter takes 48hrs to fully recharge it from a standard wall socket! I can see it being good for a runabout type vehicle though, if you could charge it every night. 60k seems a bit steep where I would buy a scooter (which has so much less embodied energy that the tesla would never get close in environmental terms, plus I doubt I would ever use ~55k worth of fuel. :P ).

It is interesting though, definitely keep us updated if you do decide to buy one. :)

I would like to see how well the Tesla performs compared to the Lightning GTS, but then again, they are both just too expensive.

I think if I bought an electric car it would be a modded (electrified) ariel atom. Because it just looks awsome!

post-3507-14494993608751_thumb.jpeg

• Founder
Nobody with anything to say about the charging time? Go on a 400km trip, charge car for 48hr!!!!!!

Seems illegit........

Well it depends on the infrastructure to support charging stations. At those is around 10 minutes.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Well it depends on the infrastructure to support charging stations. At those is around 10 minutes.

Sent from my GT-N7000

There is no way you are going to charge that thing in 10 minutes. Even if you had a charger that could provide enough current to do so, and an outlet with enough amps to supply the charger, you would destroy the batteries. You may be able to charge a decent chunk in 10 minutes, but you are looking at 4 hours on a 220v 25A or 110V 40A circuit, or 8 hours on a normal 110V 20A circuit for a full charge.

That being said... I want a Tesla Roadster BAD!!

• Founder
There is no way you are going to charge that thing in 10 minutes. Even if you had a charger that could provide enough current to do so, and an outlet with enough amps to supply the charger, you would destroy the batteries. You may be able to charge a decent chunk in 10 minutes, but you are looking at 4 hours on a 220v 25A or 110V 40A circuit, or 8 hours on a normal 110V 20A circuit for a full charge.

That being said... I want a Tesla Roadster BAD!!

I asked the same thing and the guy claimed they were working on a 10 min fast charge. Nissan has something like that in development: Could Nissan's 10-Minute EV Charger Be a Game-Changer? - Rumor Central