Great guide, ive enjoyed the read. Unfortunately for me my 460m in my JW just burned out. Do you think this GPU (NVIDIA GTX 660M MXM | eBay) would get the job done. Obviously it would need to be flashed with the mooded Vbios but is this the 1GB model? I know it says so in the item description but this seller also gives little to no information on the card. Let me know what you think when you get the chance. Thanks.

Hello,

heat pipes with G75 will fit the G73? someone was checking it (radiator and bend 90 ° and Length)

So I need to get the 660M 1 gb to make this work? Would the 2 gb memory 660M card work?

So I need to get the 660M 1 gb to make this work? Would the 2 gb memory 660M card work?

As far as I know, no one has ever tried to upgrade the G73JW with a 2Gb GDDR5 GTX 660m, so there is no definitive answer. But I doubt that the 2Gb card will work because of a slightly different vBios. My GTX 660m 1Gb was working fine until it died a few months ago, we haven't found the reason, why it happended :chargrined:

hi great upgrade, does anyone know whether this card on ebay will be ok for my laptop I have a asus g73jw and I wanted to upgrade cheers dave

Yes, I think this is a model as I had one. The upgrade should be possible with this card, don't forget that you also need a G73JH GPU heatsink.:friendly_wink:

thanks for reply im probably gonna sell the asus ,and buy a new one with the gtx 780m graphics card seems quite cheap at the moment

it just isnt viable for me anymore

ripcurl/...

Just got a 660m card, but laptop won't turn on (the blue power light comes on for 1 sec then shuts off). When I put the 460m back in, the laptop starts fine.

Is the AC power supply 150W enough to power this thing? Or did I get a faulty GPU?

There is a 180W AC power adapter, but that's another $90 bucks...

Thanks

i have G73SW version with already 5870m in. Do GTX660M should work here?

Just got a 660m card, but laptop won't turn on (the blue power light comes on for 1 sec then shuts off). When I put the 460m back in, the laptop starts fine.

Is the AC power supply 150W enough to power this thing? Or did I get a faulty GPU?

There is a 180W AC power adapter, but that's another $90 bucks...

Hi nolabeast. In amazon and ebay you can find generic chargers for ASUS at $36 usd.

Search for 180W 9.5A Replacement AC Power Adapter

Hope it helps

Oh my lord I want to do this.

I have a G73JH. I feel modding this is too difficult.

I wonder if I could make it a JW by replacing the bios chip or whether I'd need to get a whole JW motherboard?

Hello.

I have G73SW laptop, i want upgrade gpu for gtx680m, but im looking vbios for get this setup working, anybody have vbios compatibile with g73sw?

Hello.

I know this post is quite old , but I'm trying to install a GTX660M 2GB GDRR5 in my ASUS ROG G73JW , hope to be able to make it work.

The reference chart is this:

80.07.39.00.0F

I got to ride with the heatsink and modified G73JH laptop starts but gives an error of VBIOS , must understand that flash the VBIOS new graphics card .

Not if the modified bios attached to this post serve .

Has anyone tried to put a GTX660M 2GB in this notebook ?

Can this be done ?

I dont know where to find the correct vbios or something I need to run this card.

you?

I've got a problem should change the Asus G73JW, ASUS G75VW 920XM Graphics Video Card VGA card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 2GB DDR5 N13E-GE-A2 chip

you have modifty bios Attached Files Attached Files

File Type: zip 660m_G73JW.zip (88.6 KB, 57 views)

File Type: zip modified inf 660m G73JW.zip (25.7 KB, 39 views)

But how do I get this in the BIOS you downloaded ?????. Pekux

I have read the post. Lots of info. Has anyone else did the upgrade succesfully?

я прочёл все это. у меня asus g53sw и я хочу заменить свою 460m на gtx680m 

что мне нужно для этого сделать?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ModJPB
      G46VW Modded Bios
      Modded - Unlocked - Overclocked - Updated
      After a year of research and testing, I modded a bios for the G46VW. This enables many features that allows tweaking and capabilities unavailable before. Thank you to those who helped with the mods! Doink, Dreamonic, Klem, Fernando & SonicX

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for damage to your laptop. Speed/heat/and power can reach levels beyond specification which could cause long and short term damage.

---> Download: G46VW Mod BIOS v4 Beta <---  
      G46VW Bios210 Base:
      UNLOCKED Chipset menu and hidden options. Overclock CPU Boost Multipliers 37xxQM series and higher - Upto 4 multipliers K series - Unlimited Memory Frequency & Timings adjustable GTX660m VBIOS: Disable SECURE BOOT & FAST BOOT, then enable CSM. Overclock Limit - raised +405 Overvolt- Adjustable upto 1.20V (PrecisionX, Nvidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner (Must edit .cfg file to show) Updated: Atheros Ethernet: 2.0.2.6/2.1.1.1 ---> 2.0.6.6/2.1.1.5 Intel Raid/SATA: 11.6.0.1702 ---> 14.8.2.2397 Intel VBIOS: 2137 ---> 2171 Intel GOP IvyBridge: 3.0.1023 ---> 3.0.1030 Intel CPU Microcode IvyBridge: 15 ---> 1C SandyBridge: 28 ---> 29 Intel ME: 8.1.10.1286 ---> 8.1.65.1586 (Run METool.exe to update) Miscellaneous New Static Boot Splash Images BIOS defaults changed for performance and compatibility Win8/8.1/10 (Choose 'Restore Defaults' in BIOS) Fix for keyboard backlights not working. (Read 'Read Me' in fixmykb folder)
      Possible Future Updates:
      GTX660m VBIOS bug fix - battery profile voltage stuck at 3D profile. Change Animated Boot Logo
      Procedure:
      Turn off antivirus, windows update, running software. If system crashes during flash, it will be bricked. If flash is interrupted and you're still in windows, re-run flash. Download and extract to an empty folder BIOS Mod files. Run flash.bat (flash will start immediately and Mouse and keyboard will be disabled until done.) Shutdown, wait several seconds, then power on while holding F2 to enter the new BIOS. WARNING: The BIOS reset jumper does not work nor does the flashback feature. Only change settings you know its affect. If new setting prevents system start you will need an external programmer or solder a new programmed BIOS chip.

• By sukimu
      Hello fellow Aliens,
      My specs:
      Alienware M17xR4 got it back in Dec 2011 (Dell decided to upgrade my M17xR3 that crapped out on me) 
      Intel Core i7 3940XM
      Upgraded from 660m to 780m
      16GB Samsung 1600 RAM
      2 500GB Samsung SSD in Raid 0 ( i know sue me) 
      This will be a little guide with my journey of upgrading my dedicated GTX and CPU.
      Eagle vision activated and started the hunt on eBay for something that would not leave my bank with a massive dent. All i wanted to do is breathe more life into this monster that i have grown way too attached to. A quick search revealed people want way too much for their hard ware . How ever i started making offers and messaging people to negotiate a better price. I think it took me two days before i found a nice 3940XM listed for 350$. Messaged the dude and surely he replied with 200$ is a no go . But i can do 300$ . I had to come back with 280$ and to make the story short he accepted . Put my 3610QM after looking up on eBay they were going for 80$ give or take. So i listed it for 60$ with 4$ shipping . I got an E-mail from eBay; congrats on your listing...and your item sold . I did not want any negative feedback, so i removed the CPU wiped the thermal paste and decided to be with out my baby () until the 3940XM () arrived  ( which took 3 days). That package was like a  in my arms being delivered to its rightful owner. Reading all the replies on the offers i had made on 680m and 780m listings. From hell no to sorry you are crazy, there was a fellow that shared with me that the money is not a priority and his new 980m made him so happy he would sell his 780m for 300$ . Naturally i offered 280$ with paypal invoice = no eBay seller fees. What you know he accepted!!!!
      Listed my 660m for sale and till this day it is still there . I dont want to share my agony with you, waiting for a seven business day delivery by UPS ground , so lets fast forward to when i got the 780m and installing it. Seller advised i would need a 100W heat sink, which my poor 660m oddly had. So 780m is installed and a dual boot of Win10 and Win7 in order to see which Win the 780 preferred. Windows recognized the new hardware, so did the Bios, so i went to www.Nvidia.com and downloaded the latest drivers . The installer kept on saying no compatible hardware was found so that drove me . It was not until i googled " M17xR4 780m upgrade that i found out the 780m is not compatible the "Legal way" and a INF file modification was in place to get the drivers installed. Again googled M17xR4 780m upgrade drivers, and i found numerous of people crying for help as well. I thought to my self ( i will never see this work today, better try this in the morning, but before i went to sleep i needed some wisdom of a fellow Alien to come to my aid. A guy that goes by tanzmeister replied and guided me. Here is a copy paste for yas.

These are the links you should check in order to install drivers properly:

Flashing vBios:
      1- Guide:
      http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia-video-cards/2166-[guide]-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html
      2 - vBios for the 780m
      https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...king-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks/

Modded drivers:
      http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...od-for-780m-880m-and-980m-mobile-gpus.767644/

I am not actually sure these drivers are modded... They might just be "Enhanced". 
      So check out this link as well to learn how to mod drivers yourself (really not that hard)
      https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/4055-guide-modding-nvidia-oem-inf-files/

To install a modded driver you need to restart Windows with DSE disabled (driver signature). Please google this to find how to do it.

I personally haven't tried MrFox's drivers but I read they yield fantastic results on Kepler GPU's (780m included) so you can give these a try.

Everything worked!!!! Red Alert 2 and Age of Empires 2 were running!!!! Joking aside i launched Gta v and The witcher 3 which ran at a decent 30+ FPS. Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1 and 2 i could play at Ultra. I was genuinely happy with my rig.
      Until today, for some reason i wanted to try an unlocked Bios. I was on A13, looked up Drivers on Dell's website and downloaded A12, A11, A10 and A05.
      Did you guess what i did next? I flashed them all one by one, A12 first which was a sucess, A11 which also yielded good results. A10 finished flashing and instead of restarting my Alienware decided to take a nap. 
      Turn it on, and what i feared has happened. I HAD BRICKED MY BIOS!!!!  Pulled my crappy Pentium laptop and googled M17xR4 bricked Bios.
      Thank the merciful lord of forgiveness, of light, of hope, of all that is great. I had stumbles on T|I:

Following that i Blindly flashed A05 through recovery (which you really do not know what the hell is going on, Put the file on a flash drive, insert it in eSata. Shut down and remove both battery and AC adapter. Hold the END button on your keyboard and plug in your AC-adapter. Fans turn on 100% All the lights where showing, but then it started beeping and i had to go to work in 30 mins so i left it and proceeded to a warm shower. Finishing up and coming back to the room it was still beeping so i unplugged the AC-adapter reinserted the battery and AC-adapter. Pressed the  and voila my tears were sucked back in.
      Thank you for reading, i know i am not much of a writer, but i just wanted to share my journey if someone was thinking of doing the 780m upgrade.

• By Bezerkr1
      Some people are able to successfully overclock the GTX 660m to 1200mhz GPU Clock and 2500mhz Mem Clock but I keep experiencing driver crashes.

Screenshot

• By skytron
      Hello I have a gtx 660m. I Put it in my m15x with a 1.5mm coper shim. It fit good, also added paste. I have windows 10 and have tried every driver none are working. the eurocam driver I got off from their site for the 660m upgrade starts downloading and 2 minutes into the install, it fails, and an error pops up, "install failed" and that's it. please help :\ NOTE: The 660m is showing up as unknown in the device manager but I can still manage to get the hardware ids.. Also I believe my bois is a08 I downloaded a09 from dell and it just gave me a folder with some files in it no download setup THANKS!!
    • By svl7
      The 'Kepler' GPUs from Nvidia perform really well, even at increased clocks speeds they stay quite cool - a perfect behavior when it comes to overclocking and improving the performance.

Unfortunately the mobile GPUs suffer from an artificial +135MHz core overclocking limit, so you can't go higher by using tools like Nvidia Inspector and similar.

The modified VBIOS files listed here have this limit unlocked, some have increased stock clocks or tweaked voltages.

Instructions:

I recommend flashing under DOS using nvflash

Donation link

In case you want to buy me a beer

Thanks and cheers! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.