Any idea if it will fit in the g53jw. i dont know how different the chassis is

hmm...When I look at this picture here and the pages 21 and 22 of the service manual, I would say the space is identical to the G73Jw. The graphics card also appears to be the same cripple, if you look at the form and layout. Probably you'll have to modify your heatsink or replace it, it's hard to say if the holes are in the right place.

My personal conclusion: I guess it works, if a suitable heatsink is available.

• Thumbs Up 1

whats the cheapest route to getting a 660m?

The GTX660m in my G73Jw comes from MXM Upgrade as @svl7 noted in the main post. The proper Asus vBios was already installed, therefore no blind flash was needed, if you're going to buy the card somewhere else you may have to do some extra steps in the installation process.:friendly_wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I`ve found this 2 on ebay:

This one the seller says that is 1gb, but the card layout is different then the pictures attached to this post:

Alienware M15X M17x M18x VGA Graphics Video Card GTX 660M 1GB GDDR5 MXM 3 0B | eBay

This seems to be the same card:

Alienware M15X M17x M18x VGA Upgrade Kit GTX 660M Kepler 1GB GDDR5 MXM 3 0B | eBay

@svl7: Is it simple to change the vBios to work with the 2gb version!?? Because there`s a listing with a very low price for the 2gb:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M Graphics Card | eBay

Thanks in advance for you help!

I only tested it with the Clevo card which I got from mxm-upgrade.com. The second link you posted is probably the same Clevo card. The 2GB won't work, at least not with the vbios I posted, and the vbios is required to get it working.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to attempt to upgrade my GPU by following this guide in about a few months. While I have experience with swapping components in a tower, I have never done it with a laptop. I have taken apart my G73jw before (to give it a really good cleaning), and managed to not break anything, so I guess I have that going for me...

Seems that the crew at MXM-upgrade.com are not replying to their email, or they are so inundated with requests that it takes them a while to get back to you. I'm going to have to get the card off of ebay I guess.

Any other words of wisdom outside of the guide that would be helpful to me?