Strigae's M15x

Strigae

(finished)

So after seeing Inap's wonderful paintings I decided to give it a shot. I'm thinking orange!

It will be the first time im going to completely disassemble my system. So thought i would share my progress and hopefully an awesome result. :)

Firstly i bought a new pair of magnesium covers for my lappy in case of something went wrong.

The alien head was glued on to the lcd cover and the plastic plate was welded on.

I used a heat gun for the head and a small drill for the plate.

Rest of the stuff was kinda straight forward off. Just a screw here and there (ie. battery lock)

With the bare magnesium set i went to get rid of the old paint at a chemical cleaning called Danclean. Could maybe have done it myself if I had any knowledge of the actual paint.

Now I have covered (blue heat resistant tape from the powder coating place) the areas of the magnesium set where I don't want it powder coated. Since it's the first time I do this I wanted to make sure everything would fit inside afterwards.

I will have some more pics to share soon...

... which is now!

It's not perfect but here it is to enjoy! :)

img_0212.jpg

img_0213.jpg

img_0211.jpg

img_0210.jpg

img_0214.jpg

img_0215.jpg

img_0216.jpg

Edited by Strigae
  • Thumbs Up 8

• Founder

Unfortunately we don't have many M15x owners on the forum yet. Plus with the system being phased out, eventually there will be even less traffic from them.

finally some action in the M15x thread. YEAH!!!!

i recommend plugging the port hole in the bottom casing like the ear phone plugs. also cover up the screw holes where the battery is too.

really miss my M15x that thing was a head turner, heheheh

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Inaps work was great, I'm sure he really misses his machine as the 6970m now seems to work in the M15x... sorry :D (Hope my card arrives soon)

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe you can have someone eventually from this friendly community that has an R3 to place the order for you. I would do it for you if I had an R3.

But Dell doesn't offer it as a upgrade to the M15x. *sniff*

It's officially only for the M17x R3, right?

That's why I ordered one from MXM-upgrade... Should arrive sometime next week hopefully, I'll let you know how it works.

• Thumbs Up 2

Heeh yeah, wonder what the differences are between Dell-6970m and mxm-upgrade-6970m compared to the differences between Dell-5870m and Clevo-5870.

GL! I certainly hope it got the same features (ie audio @ displayport). :)

• Thumbs Up 1