Alienware M18x-R1 Triple (3) Pipe CPU Cooler Upgrade

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

I bought mine from the bay last week for about £35. Thanks to Mr Fox's excellent youtube teardown video (a huge thanks mate) I took my 1 day old Alienware apart to fit it, repaste the CPU and GPUs, and install my memory and SSD. It's running like a beast now. Stupidly, I didn't check the temps pre installing the new heatsink but never mind, I'm really happy anyway!

Sorry for noobish question, what is the difference between the stock heat-pipes and the triple 3 pipe CPU cooler? :confused:

I've been trying to figure this out too since in theory 2 8mm heatpipes can transfer heat more efficiently than 3 6mm heatpipes (2*4^2 = 32 vs 3*3^2 = 27).

I think the reason the 3 pipe is better is because it has more contact area. Many laptop heatsinks have the heat pipes embedded within the radiator for heat to transfer from the heat pipes to the radiator better. I think since the m18x does not do that and instead has the pipes on top of the radiator causes surface area to be a bottleneck.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought mine from PCHub and paid like $32 I think and It works great for clocking my 2960xm at 4.5ghz constantly. Never will tip past 80C on the cores with it but I keep my house pretty cold all the time.