[M17x R4] Bricked BIOS FIX

naldor

I make this thread for people who have bricked their bios on their r4(not the vbios), since the release of the A05 I have seen multiple people bricking their bios. The solution to this problem is really easy.

Go to Drivers en downloads | Dell [Nederland] and download the .exe file. Use winrar to extract this file, you will have a file named like this QBR00EC.fd, rename it to M17R4.hdr.

Now format an USB stick to fat/fat 32, and ONLY put this file on it. We are almost done!!!

Unplug the battery from your laptop and be sure the power adapter is not plugged in, and put the USB in the eSate(NOT USB SLOT). Now hold the end button and plug in the adapter, your alienware should come back to live now!!!! It will beep some times and restart few times.

Note: Leave CMOS battery in, or it wont work :D

Thanks to SVL7/Brian, clearing things up for me, just go back into bios flashing :P

• Thumbs Up 10

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Read the first post again ;)

And nope, it won't work for the M15x. The M15x comes with an old-school bios, you'll need a crisis disk, and you need to create it before you start messing with a modified bios.

Read the first post again ;)

And nope, it won't work for the M15x. The M15x comes with an old-school bios, you'll need a crisis disk, and you need to create it before you start messing with a modified bios.

Hi I've tried this and nothing happens doesn't matter how long I hold end key... Please help...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If some1 upload an R2 bios, or give me a link where to download it, I could take an look at it, but I think some1 already figured out how to fix it coz R2 has been around for a while. But as Brian says be more precize, what bios update when did it shut down, does it do anything when you power it on? Any lights, fans?

- - - Updated - - -

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=351421 is what I found on google you could give it a try

• 2 weeks later...

From A05 you can flash totally normal by using the InsydeFlash utility. I'll update this thread soon with another flashing method so that blind flash isn't necessary anymore, unless someone wants to go from A08 or newer to A05 or older.

Tested to downgrade and the fans are running max speed since more then 5 mins now :( how long is it supose to take? It didn't reboot at all, i'm scared to shutdown..

Edit : Holded power button and no changes still on A10

Any help? I would like to downgrade..

The recovery name is correct. Your system came with A10 already installed, right? It's possible that systems which come with A10 pre-installed won't allow to downgrade to something pre-dating A08, even though it seems a bit weird to me.

I'm gonna post the files for the other flashing method now, so you can still go to the unlocked bios. Downgrading to an older bios doesn't really make sense anyways, at least not as long as the newer one doesn't have a severe bug.

The recovery name is correct. Your system came with A10 already installed, right? It's possible that systems which come with A10 pre-installed won't allow to downgrade to something pre-dating A08, even though it seems a bit weird to me.

I'm gonna post the files for the other flashing method now, so you can still go to the unlocked bios. Downgrading to an older bios doesn't really make sense anyways, at least not as long as the newer one doesn't have a severe bug.

That's right it came with A09 if I remember good, maybe we can't go lower then the lowest Bios version it had :P Your new method worked like a charm ! :)