Can anyone with WIHD installed in the M18X R2 see if its finally working yet with the new A08 bios?

I just updated my bios with the A07 and notice the boot has something called Windows 8 Quick boot now... Does anyone know what that does?

Hey not sure if anyone else is experiencing this... But I just updated and lost bios detection on my Crucial SSD drive... After some google work I notice that alot of Crucial users running the latest firmware may have problems with UEFI bios... Not sure what the update did but it definitely knocked my drive off and was undetected until I followed the Crucial guide for proper reset.... Just a heads up to save some time for anyone who are the Crucial SSD w/ latest firmware and looking to update. (Downgrade drive firmware to 000F before running the R2 A08 firmware upgrade to avoid headache....)

I hope its still unlockable. I jumped the gun and flash stock A08 thinking you already unlocked A08 (front page mis-named A08-Unlocked)... None the less, your awesome Svl7! Thanks for all your hard work.

That Windows 8 Quickboot option is not in the A08 version. The UEFI stuff remains, however.

My M18x came with the A03 Bios. I flashed to the A07 with no issue. Can I flash to the A07 modded?

Shouldn't be a problem at all flash on bro

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

Hi, My M18X R2 came with the A07 BIOS and I try to flash this unlock A07 BIOS , it shows this[ATTACH=CONFIG]5146[/ATTACH]. Both A07 UNLOCK and IRST 11.5 A07 unlock is the same situation. Do you know the reason? :confuse:

This is bad, I kinda expected this, but it is bad. The activated secure flash, I don't know too much about it, but as far as I know it simply checks the firmware image for any modifications and will not allow updating unless it's a clean and unmodified image.

When did this appear? How did you flash A07? From within Windows?

That's so sad. I just double click InsydeFlash.exe , the program runs and laptop will reboot automatically. After alienware logo, this pic will show up.

Hope you can find solution for this. :Banane34:

Yeah, well I can think of some options which may work... flash it with this method described here: http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/1978-%5Bm17x-r4%5D-bricked-bios-fix.html

But rename the bin file to M18R2.hdr, including the extension... (!)

Let me know how it goes.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is bad, I kinda expected this, but it is bad. The activated secure flash, I don't know too much about it, but as far as I know it simply checks the firmware image for any modifications and will not allow updating unless it's a clean and unmodified image.

When did this appear? How did you flash A07? From within Windows?

Something definitely changed between A07 and A08. A07 flashed within windows as per all previous BIOS flashes. A08 Insyde flasher showed up for about a second in windows, computer reboots and then it flashes itself. Updated the EC as well.

Bad news. It's not work. I flashed it with that method. And it just beep and beep. I wait nearly 3 minutes, beep is not stop(no restart). So I plugged out power adapter. Now the laptop has no reaction at all. It can not turn on. It just has no reaction and can't do blind flash either. :cry_002: I'm going to call technical department to send me a new motherboard now.

Guess you may need to think some other way to flash it.

UDon't just attempt it Id wait till Svl7 or Johnkss or others can confirm no prob with EC involved and blind flash. Id hold tight and see whats discussed/determined. This sucks but as Svl7 mentioned its not all lost as method he linked may still be a help despite the difference from bios to bios. If EC is unchanged in that previous bios wont ot just be running the older bios but on the newer EC version? Is there a backup made with Insyde Bios that can be used to go back in anyway?

Edit: xxstd i didnt see your post while i had typed this response as you may read i was warning anyone from doing anything at all till something has been determined. I am so sorry you system has been rendered to that condition. If you pull the cmos battery and power on no battery no ac for about 30secs and plug ac in and power on but still cmos battery removed it should beep if its alive and then turn off holding power, put cmos battery and regular battery back in and attempt power on like suggested below me a full cmos reset and a power cycle to be sure the cmos defaults were erased. Atleast thats how i have done it.

UDon't just attempt it Id wait till Svl7 or Johnkss or others can confirm no prob with EC involved and blind flash. Id hold tight and see whats discussed/determined. This sucks but as Svl7 mentioned its not all lost as method he linked may still be a help despite the difference from bios to bios. If EC is unchanged in that previous bios wont ot just be running the older bios but on the newer EC version? Is there a backup made with Insyde Bios that can be used to go back in anyway?

Edit: xxstd i didnt see your post while i had typed this response as you may read i was warning anyone from doing anything at all till something has been determined. I am so sorry you system has been rendered to that condition. If you pull the cmos battery and power on no battery no ac for about 30secs and plug ac in and power on but still cmos battery removed it should beep if its alive and then turn off holding power, put cmos battery and regular battery back in and attempt power on like suggested below me a full cmos reset and a power cycle to be sure the cmos defaults were erased. Atleast thats how i have done it.

I think that both A07 and A08 contained updates to the EC, when coming from A03. I flashed from A03 (stock) to A07 (stock) and then A08 (stock) without issue so far. Here's hoping we can get an updated OROM in A08.

What version did you flash that killed your machine xxstd?

I think that both A07 and A08 contained updates to the EC, when coming from A03. I flashed from A03 (stock) to A07 (stock) and then A08 (stock) without issue so far. Here's hoping we can get an updated OROM in A08.

What's your config? 7970m in crossfire?

Thsnk you for your advice. And I tried your method ,nothing happened . I have already called Alienware technical department. guess I will receive a new motherboard within two days.

- - - Updated - - -

I flashed this version M18x R2 - BIOS A07 'unlocked' & Intel RST option ROM 11.5.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bad news. It's not work. I flashed it with that method. And it just beep and beep. I wait nearly 3 minutes, beep is not stop(no restart). So I plugged out power adapter. Now the laptop has no reaction at all. It can not turn on. It just has no reaction and can't do blind flash either. I'm going to call technical department to send me a new motherboard now.

Guess you may need to think some other way to flash it.

I'm starting to think that you didn't wait long enough. Other users reported that they were successful at downgrading with this method... so it should have worked, but it may take more than 5 mins.

A05... now that's something I haven't heard of. I guess you mean the IRST orom, that's easy, they only used the 11.0.6 if I remember correctly, even in the latest release.

About upgrading / downgrading the bios - not sure. Don't know

I'm starting to think that you didn't wait long enough. Other users reported that they were successful at downgrading with this method... so it should have worked, but it may take more than 5 mins.

A05... now that's something I haven't heard of. I guess you mean the IRST orom, that's easy, they only used the 11.0.6 if I remember correctly, even in the latest release.

About upgrading / downgrading the bios - not sure. Don't know

Don't do it.... I had it on for hours... Still bricked.

Here's a screenshot of the bois..:

link removed

I would edit your pic to not include your service tag for your safety. If it was hosted here I would mention a mod to edit and hide your service tag for you. Since it is hosted elsewhere you will have to do so yourself.

----

removed the image from the quote as well

chmod1337