You should have used A10 stock for recovery...

I don't know why it doesn't work, maybe it's an issue with the orom, I'll check.

EDIT: Also it's interesting that I see three downloads, did anyone else test this?

You should have used A10 stock for recovery...

I don't know why it doesn't work, maybe it's an issue with the orom, I'll check.

EDIT: Also it's interesting that I see three downloads, did anyone else test this?

i donwloaded it. just can't find 12.7 oprom changelog ... so i don't know if its worth it yet!

Thanks svlV and others for sharing your wealth of information. It was a little overwhelming and frightening reading through these 36 pages. I currently have A10 on my R2 with a 3920XM. I would like to get the A10 Unlocked. Just need to get the posts and more importantly the balls to give it a go. I will definitely help you in your quest to get a new laptop once I've got it sorted.

All information you need can be found in the first post.

I am newbie here. I have a m18x R2 with A10 stock bios. If I want to flash the unlocked A10 as posted here, should I just flash the BIOS A10 'unlocked' FPT ( flashing from DOS) without flash the A03 unlocked first? Thanks in advance.

I'd expect this to be possible with the stock bios... maybe an M18x user can help out here.

Glad to know they work fine in SLI! Can't beat $390 for 85% of a 680m, ha.

Yeah, I can't switch to integrated anymore. Not detected in bios and the fn+I/D and reboot doesn't switch over after reboot just stays on the dedicated.

@equalize87

Mythlogic, more on that in the thread I made in Alienware M18x main.

Sorry for the late reply, but I just now saw your post. In case you have not already discovered, the graphics switching no longer working is likely not due to having a Clevo 675MX, rather having only one GPU installed. This has come up more than once with the M18x with different GPUs (AMD and NVIDIA) when only one has been installed. Why having one GPU versus two causes this I don't know, but you can manually switch to IGFX with the unlocked BIOS. There is a menu to do that and you simply switch it from PEG to IGFX, F10 to save and exit. It is a little bit less convenient, but it will most likely work for you if you have a need to use IGFX.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hello,

is there a difference between M18X-R2 shipped with windows 7 , and M18X-R2 shipped with Windows 8 (bios wise ) like slic e.t.c ?

Hmm, good question, I don't know. I'd need to see a dump of a Win8 system.

alright , any givers out there? for a m18x-r2 windows 8 bios dump ( bought laptop with windows 8 from dell)

thank you!

Is there any progress on unlocking the bios for the alienware 18? I have the A00 if anyone would like me to dump it.

Unlocked it ages ago, just don't have an easy way for flashing. And no machine to test for an easy way.

@svl7, I noticed that the Dell website has an A11 BIOS update from the M18XR2 available, any news of an unlocked version or what the A11 even changes from A10? Thanks for your response.

Hey there,

could someone be so kind to check the Bios option for "Wake on LAN" feature if it is unlocked ?

..i really need this feature for my Alienware M18xR2 and i were wondering if this feature will be visible after unlocking the BIOS ?

...if not is someone able to add this feature to the Bios or has this been done already in another tech community and you can Link me that?

Best regards

Hello i got a huge proble i was done blind flashing on my mx 18 r2 and when it was beeping and finish beeping electricity turn off in my whole house and now my laptop dont give me any lights even or anything(wont turn on even when i press power on button) is any way to fix it or just get the technician to replace motherboard?

Well, all you can do is try blind flashing again. First of all perform a power drain.

Well, all you can do is try blind flashing again. First of all perform a power drain.

i done power drain (take out battery bios battery and disconnect for 30 min push power on button many time but now even when i hold end button and connect power wont turn on....) then basically i cant do blind flash anymore because it wont turn on...

Well, if you're still covered by warrant ythen I'd call Dell. Else I can sell you a programmed bios chip.

Hello,

it looks like the HM77 (m18x-r2 ivy bridge) doesn't support TRIM, and this disabled in the OPROM...

i have read on another forums that people have unlocked the oprom for series 6 e.t.c ..... ( AnandTech Forums - View Single Post - RAID0 trim and SRT seems possible on 6-series and 5-Series )

now to unlock TRIM support on the M18X-R2 it seems we would have to edit offset 1bb22 and add 071E000007 to replace the entry and enable trim on the hm77 raid...

i know that the hm77 as controller ID of 282A and alternativeID of 1E07 that is the number needed and needed to be edited in a oprom...

i do not have the skill knowledge and tools to do so... but i know svl7 would!

can you mod the OPROM with those info, and merge it into the m18x-r2 bios so i can test if it enable TRIM on the m18x-r2?

thank you!

Svl7, will you be releasing a UEFI for the 7970's that also offer clock and voltage modifications.

Can anyone please tell me in plain english what the changes are between the A10 and the A11 BIOS for the M18x R2?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo ThinkPad X250, X260.
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, then you can post your request in this thread.
      Important!
      For creating your personal bios dump and to flash your bios mod, you must use any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip!

Just dump your Bios using any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip, then post it in this thread or upload it to any fileserver and send me the link.

CH341A programmer:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Programmer-CH341A-Series-Burner-Chip-24-EEPROM-BIOS-Writer-25-SPI-Flash-AU/153117073868?epid=577511738&hash=item23a67d21cc:g:XKEAAOSw5UdbW-iL

https://www.amazon.com/Parts-tower-CH341A-Programmer-Software/dp/B01FVVHCVC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522179315&sr=8-4&keywords=ch341a&dpID=51BO7eGgO5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

SOIC8/SOP8 test clip:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soic8-Sop8-Flash-Chip-Ic-Test-Clips-Socket-Adpter-Bios-24-25-93-Programmer/201414947737?hash=item2ee5443399:g:up8AAOSw1Fda8qkt

https://www.amazon.ca/MAUSAN-Socket-Adapter-150MIL-205MIL/dp/B06ZYSNJF3/ref=pd_sbs_21_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XM79QJWGED6B4K2VEZDJ

How to use it:

Also, you can search on YouTube a lot of guide for CH341a.

Note: 
      Each bios mod prepare personally and based on your personal bios dump which contain your personal data like Serial numbers, UUID, Service TAG, MAC addresses, Windows keys, NVRAM settings, etc.
      For creating your personal bios dump and to flash bios mod, you need use any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip!
      Just dump your Bios (from your laptop) using any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip, then post it in this thread or upload it to any fileserver and send me the link.
    • By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo ThinkPad T440p / T440s / T540p.
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, then you can post your request in this thread.
      Important!
      For creating bios backup and to flash bios mod, you must use any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip!

Just dump your Bios using any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip, then post it in this thread or upload it to any fileserver and send me the link.

• By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo ThinkPad T450s.
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, or already upgraded Display and after that can't adjust screen brightness, then you can post your request in this thread.
      Important!
      For creating bios backup and to flash bios mod, you must use any SPI programmer  (like CH341A programmer) and a SOIC8/SOP8 test clip!

CH341A programmer:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Programmer-CH341A-Series-Burner-Chip-24-EEPROM-BIOS-Writer-25-SPI-Flash-AU/153117073868?epid=577511738&hash=item23a67d21cc:g:XKEAAOSw5UdbW-iL

https://www.amazon.com/Parts-tower-CH341A-Programmer-Software/dp/B01FVVHCVC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522179315&sr=8-4&keywords=ch341a&dpID=51BO7eGgO5L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

SOIC8/SOP8 test clip:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soic8-Sop8-Flash-Chip-Ic-Test-Clips-Socket-Adpter-Bios-24-25-93-Programmer/201414947737?hash=item2ee5443399:g:up8AAOSw1Fda8qkt

https://www.amazon.ca/MAUSAN-Socket-Adapter-150MIL-205MIL/dp/B06ZYSNJF3/ref=pd_sbs_21_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XM79QJWGED6B4K2VEZDJ

How to use it:

Also, you can search on YouTube a lot of guide for CH341a.

• By Max2016
      Help me Tech Inferno, you're my only hope.

Ok so firstly, apologies for yet another 8 beeps thread. I must have read 100 of them over the last week. I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I'm totally burned out after days of working on this so would appreciate some outside perspective.

I live in the UK, so I've avoided buying a 980m to upgrade my 660 for years to due the price/import tax etc. I finally found a good priced 980m on Ebay a few weeks ago so I thought why not give my trusty 18x r2 a few extra years of life.

I ordered the 100w heatsink, x bracket etc from Eurocom at the same time and everything arrived on the same day.

Here's what I've done so far in the last 7 days:

-Flashed unlocked A11 BIOS (I rolled back to Dell A11 first)

-Removed  660m and installed 980m

-With BIOS in Legacy, Installed Windows 7 on a new SSD with BIOS set to IGFX

-Tried to switch to PEG but got 8 beeps so reset CMOS battery

-Switched to SG and booted to Windows. 980m detected as default hardware. Installed 980m Driver from Eurocom and restarted. Device manager shows 980m  working normally along with HD Graphics 4000. Tried PEG again but still got 8 beeps

-Reset battery, booted to Windows and disabled the 980m in Device Manager

-Flashed VBIOS from here  (I read that the dell VBIOS doesn't work well so tried Clevo one first, but I've since tried both and a few others)

-Re enabled 980m and restarted Laptop still in Legacy SG.

-Tried to test a game but they only want to use HD Graphics 4000. When I try to open NVIDIA Control Panel and change some settings I get a blue screen and have to restart.

-Tried PEG again, still 8 beeps

I've tried many combinations of drivers, VBIOS and BIOS settings over the last week but the result is mostly the same. I get 8 beeps in PEG. I thought perhaps the seller had sent me a G-sync version as I have read these don't play well with PEG, but I checked the hardware ID (PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05501028&REV_A1) and what I've read seems to indicate this is the Non G-Sync card.

I got the 980m rather than the 1060 after reading the forums as I saw so many success stories I figured it would be the safer option.

I understand this laptop is basically dead to most of you now, but if any techsperts are around and could give me some other things to try I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Max

• By Klem
      In this thread you can post your requests for Lenovo Y50-70, Lenovo Y70-70, Lenovo Z50-70, Lenovo Z70-70, Lenovo G50-70, Lenovo G70-70.
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove whitelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings in bios setup menu, or unlocked vbios for overclock NVIDIA card, then you can post your request in this thread. Also, if you have a problem with fan pulsating/clicking on any modified bios then you can post your request in this thread.

The flashing procedure include two steps:
      1.  Flash main system bios.
      2.  Flash EC firmware.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.