I would edit your pic to not include your service tag for your safety. If it was hosted here I would mention a mod to edit and hide your service tag for you. Since it is hosted elsewhere you will have to do so yourself.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the heads up, should have known better but I gotta ask....what can someone do with my service tag...?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the heads up, should have known better but I gotta ask....what can someone do with my service tag...?

I'm not sure the full extent of implications but I'm sure other may be able to inform you better. Just guessing but perhaps transfer ownership of the entire account if someone phished and learned more about you, maybe have stuff ordered under presumed warranty service and sent elsewhere. Im grasping at straws but I do know its safer. in future just open pic in paint or something before upload and make a box over it with the property "fill with color" and save and upload :) Welcome to Tech | Inferno Gomson

hi,

any information about the "crucial SSD bug" within the A08 firmware?

Thx

I believe it is a Crucial bug, comments from the Crucial m4 firmware page Crucial.com Product Downloads - Firmware Updates

WARNING: The firmware update process is done entirely at your own risk. Before initiating the update process be sure to backup or make copies of all important files. If the firmware process is interrupted your solid-state drive may not function properly. UEFI-based Systems: During validation of this firmware update we noticed instances where our update tools do not recognize the SSD with some systems using UEFI. The target device is not recognized as an updateable device during the reboot process. If this happens, the firmware update will not occur, and you’ll retain the firmware version you started with. Windows will then restart normally. If this sequence occurs, you cannot upgrade to this firmware version at this time, but you’ve done no harm to your system (or your data).

I put together some information regarding the latest AW BIOS updates, I hope that it helps to understand some of the changes which they bring.

Everyone which uses / intends to use modified bios updates should read it.

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/2252-information-about-bios-updates-a07-a08-higher-m14xr2-m17xr4-m18xr2.html

Well, using the recovery method you should be able to get back to A03, then you can flash unlocked version as usual. @Annie the Eagle confirmed this to work, but you really need to do it properly else you might end up with a brick.

There might be other options, but I can't test it myself, and since this method seems to work I'd try this.

The reasons for the illegal firmware error are explained in the thread I linked above.

Well, using the recovery method you should be able to get back to A03, then you can flash unlocked version as usual. @Annie the Eagle confirmed this to work, but you really need to do it properly else you might end up with a brick.

There might be other options, but I can't test it myself, and since this method seems to work I'd try this.

The reasons for the illegal firmware error are explained in the thread I linked above.

Hi, I want to make sure that the machine came with A07 BIOS or higher BIOS version may not be able flash back to A03, or some serious problem will happen? Am I Right? I remember someone said his machine came with A07 BIOS and he flashed back to A03 which cause his machine died.

I have accidentaly double clicked on A08 bios windows executable with my wanky mouse button over 2m previous strokes :D before I know it I see it runs reboot and bios upgrade executable in DOS... after all I did not have to go change from RAID back to ACHI, all settings remained while giving me A08 version now, everything worked, fewer options from A07 to A08 in boot options but bar that its all same, nothing got improved after update.. wonder if its worth reordering new M18X with 3940xm if there shall be no unlocked bios any more for A08...? slv7 what do you think will A08 be hackable for sure or do I just go ahead with 3840QM..?

EDIT: noticed you have Unlocked A08 bios now available in first page, but question is have you got any reports anybody with stock A08 that flashed to unlocked A08 with success?

Thanks

Oh, damn... Well, I have some ideas, but as mentioned before, I can't test it myself. Btw, the bios on the first page is A07, I accidentally labelled it A08, need to fix that.

Alright, I totally understand that, its ours responsibility to test things out ;) Thanks

Well, I don't have a current AW system, that's the problem. What I can tell you is that my M18x bios mod won't brick your system, the problem is the method of flashing it. I do have some ideas though, but no idea whether this would work.

The method with flashing back using the usb recovery doesn't seem to work in all cases, and that's a problem.

Well, I don't have a current AW system, that's the problem. What I can tell you is that my M18x bios mod won't brick your system, the problem is the method of flashing it. I do have some ideas though, but no idea whether this would work.

The method with flashing back using the usb recovery doesn't seem to work in all cases, and that's a problem.

best idea is get bios programmer and spare bios chip and then just swap-solder the chip :)

NOTE: It will take a while until the unlocked version is ready on the server, T|I users can grab the attached files in the meantime.

if you are logged in, your a TI member , no ? I still don't see it, or any attachments, i dont know why either.. sorry. someone PM or something if im being an idiot, i would really like tp test this bios out, considering I have windows 8 now, and this has some functionaility for it AND the unlocked options (which Im using, from an early bios)- James

whats the difference between the a07 and a08 version of the bios anyways, for the m18x-r2.

I read somewhere it was one option or something difference, but nothing specified afaik/read.

thanks for your time and reply, just curious if we should even bother with the a07 (which I was going to try before a08, mind you).

Hi svl7, is there a A03 unlocked bios + 11.5 OROM somewhere I can download yet? Thanks for all your help :)

As for users wanting to downgrade... It may or may not work for you... I was successful in downgrading my bios by downloading the original stock A03 and renaming it accordingly to blindflash instructions. Make sure you wait until it restarts itself... When in doubt... WAIT... a premature shutdown is almost guaranteed brick. This is in no way safe... just wanted to post my success in hopes of helping other users.