• 2 months later...

hey guys I have been going threw the forums trying to find out if there are any unlocked bios for the alienware 18's or by chance to the unlocked bios for the m18x's work on the 18's. any help on this information would be greatly appreciated. I am having issues getting a sli gtx980m kit I purchased from ebay to work. I am being told I may need an unlock bios but i have never herd of any unlocked bios for the 18's. i look forward to hearing from someone.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1.12.2015 at 3:52 AM, THA LAW said:

hey guys I have been going threw the forums trying to find out if there are any unlocked bios for the alienware 18's or by chance to the unlocked bios for the m18x's work on the 18's. any help on this information would be greatly appreciated. I am having issues getting a sli gtx980m kit I purchased from ebay to work. I am being told I may need an unlock bios but i have never herd of any unlocked bios for the 18's. i look forward to hearing from someone.

Do u have anytime the Problem ?

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 4:03 PM, mikkomukkt said:

Do u have anytime the Problem ?

there seems to be no unlocked bios for the 18's, but the new a12 bios from dell give the laptop support for the 900 series cards without having to modify the drivers to work. but I will say this windows 10 and alienware 18 with NVidia sli seems to be all types of jacked up. the computer under windows 10 in uefi bios lets you install your gpus and they run for a few weeks before you start having sli issues. it seems to have killed two of my gpus under sli. it damages the main card after a few weeks of use. I have since down graded back down to 8.1 and waiting on my rma from eurocom to come back to I can put the second card back in to do sli again but the one 980m I have left is running great under 8.1. could be why if you go to the alienware web sight there is no option to have windows 10 installed from there. all the other models have that option to just have 10. I have been doing a lot of reading and searching and back and forth with woodzstack trying to figure out what the deal is with windows 10 and duel sli gtx980m's. I have had one set now work at all in the machine and my second set started having massive issues and caused damage to my gpus under windows 10 in sli.

hello everyone, 

so, i just ordered myself a 970m 6gig for my m18x r2. i have a 3920xm. 
i want to unlock the full potential of this, so i will be installing "unlocked GTX970M 6GB MXM" vbios, and unlocked a10 bios. 
now my questions are, what should i be doing as precautionary measures. 

i have already downgraded the a12 bios to a10, 

1. is there anything else i have do to to successfully install the unlocked a10 v2. 

2. is unlocked a10 v2 better then the unlocked a8 or a3

3. do i need to downgrade all the way down to a3, or just to the version i am trying to install. 

any help would be much appreciated, thank you. 

hello @svl7, first of all i would like to thank you for your great work on this BIOS, 

its working smoothly, and was pretty easy to install. 

i would just like to point a few things out of anyone looking to install this, but is not sure. 
1. i was unable to find the links for the "fpt.exefparts.txt, prr.exe"

(ADMIN NOTE: links fixed)

2. to create a bootable dos usb, just use rufus, set the file format to fat32, set partition scheme to "mbr bios or uefi"

and click start, 

3. once the bootable usb is ready, just paste the files "fpt.exefparts.txt, prr.exe, flash.bat, m18xr2.bin" to the root of the usb

note (if you are installing a different version, those two files would be different)

4. restart and boot into dos usb using "f8 key at boot"
(it can only be booted from legacy mode, and not in uefi mode, hence set the boot from the bios to legacy mode, meaning that if you have graphics cards installed (9xx series nvidia), they will not work under uefi, so you will need to remove them, 
and if you you get it to boot from uefi, after the installation completes, it will revert back to legacy mode, hence you will not be able to post. 
so make sure you dont have any 9xx gpu installed

5. once in DOS, 

run command "prr.exe",

then write "flash.bad" to execute flash

wait until tool completes, 

after it says "operation sucessful"

you can restart using ctrl+alt+del

boot into bios

restore defaults, 

and restore any specfic settings as you did before, 

in my case i had to set my boot back to uefi, and change the sata interface to AHCI from RAID, because my windows kept crashing in AHCI. 

best wishes

673875968112383943.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i currently have a12 dell bios , if i want to flash to unlocked a10 bios i have to downgrade to a03 but i have to use specifically the usb recover method or can i just downgrade the bios the normal way. in other words i dont have a usb stick ATM so im just curious if i can just downgrade running the 03 bios file from dell website as opposed to using the described recovery method 

Edited by panamaniacs2011

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey. Just wanted to say thank you for the guide. I've been trying to get an EGPU working on my M18x R2 via the express card slot and I've gotten the computer to recognise the card in device manager but not actually use it for anything. I'm hoping once I can access your file and flash the bios I'll be able to turn off the integrated chip and drag the laptop back into modern gaming kicking and screaming.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/30/2015 at 8:52 PM, THA LAW said:

Everything I have read suggest that you do not need an unlocked BIOS on the AW18, just run it in UEFI mode (not legacy) with windows 8.1 (UEFI in BIOS settings) 

Run BIOS A12 or better (if available) 

Before install 980m in AW18 you need to modify Bios settings: Under Boot Section: Secure Boot: Disabled, Load Legacy Option Rom: Disabled, Boot List Option: UEFI

Read more:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/step-by-step-980m-install-in-alienware-18.768916/

Edited by kkthebeast
Update information

On 7/13/2016 at 1:31 PM, mallello84 said:

me tooo

It's against forum rules to send the files that are restricted. Good news though... The easiest way to get promoted is to go to other forums and help out. Answer a few easy questions on things that you have had problems with before and help out a few other people that could use your guidance.  I know it is a bummer to not have instant access, but this is a small privately run webserver the money made from memberships goes directly to the cost and maintenance of the the website and server costs. Additionally requiring posts forces you (us) to answer questions for other users that are stuck and need advice. I believe it's only 5 (QUALITY) posts to get promoted. And yes they can see and do check if they are quality or spam. I hope you understand the need for this! :)

With respect!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I could really use some help with this... i have an Alienware Mx14r2 im trying to use the unlocked bios so i can disable the integrated intel gpu and run the Nvidia dedicated (due to gfx drivers issues).. but i keep running into a stonewall. I've formated a USB with Rufus, added all the necessary files and when i reboot it send me  to a C:/ command prompt i cant seem to properly boot from the USB im running windows 8 x64 bit. I see urmother93 up there has a SS showing "ready to flash bios" i try to execute the prr.exe files and it keeps saying bad file name or something along the lines, any ideas where i'm going wrong?

• 2 weeks later...