I am on bios A08 default, so what i need to flash the unlocked bios? is better downgrade to A05 and after that reflash with the A05 unlock or can i flash directly the A10 unlocked?

I'm in the same boat ;-), but with A09.

If I manage to downgrade and upgrade to A10 unlocked, will I lose secure boot or UEFI boot?? Am I saying nonsenses???

Thanks.

Yes, no more secure boot with any modified firmware. Modifying the bios messes up the signature, therefore secure boot won't work anymore, or rather refuse to load your OS since it detects unsigned drivers. There's really no point in using secure boot anyways.

I know there's no point in using secure boot but, is there any other drawback with your bios. Fast boot???

And maybe I'm wrong as I can't see attachments yet but what we gain is only for overclocking?

-----

Not mine, but it's not so new (Mid-September).

And I was wrong about the error in bios, it does!!! I think I didn't realize before.

I'll try to flash when I can download 8)

Edit: Alienware bricked. No lights, no beeps, no nothing :( . Waiting for a motherboard replacement.

Is it possible to flash in msdos? I didn't find anything, just for Windows.

I know there's no point in using secure boot but, is there any other drawback with your bios. Fast boot???

And maybe I'm wrong as I can't see attachments yet but what we gain is only for overclocking?

-----

Not mine, but it's not so new (Mid-September).

And I was wrong about the error in bios, it does!!! I think I didn't realize before.

I'll try to flash when I can download 8)

Edit: Alienware bricked. No lights, no beeps, no nothing :( . Waiting for a motherboard replacement.

Is it possible to flash in msdos? I didn't find anything, just for Windows.

did you tired this?

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/1978-%5Bm17x-r4%5D-bricked-bios-fix.html

Thanks. Yes, I tried, but the laptop is dead. No sign at all. Bios chipset myst be fried 

wow, im sorry 4 your loss hopefuly Dell wont notice what you did and they will give you a new lapy with the same specs or a newer model (that's if you still have warranty)

Thank you so much for amazing work @svl7.

I want to do this my self, but how risky is it to flash the bios with an unlocked version, eg. are there any who got their laptop bricked beyond repair, and could not fix it again even with the "take out coin battery reset to original bios" and the "Bricked BIOS FIX" ?

Or should it be more or less safe with the above mentioned fixes ?

Thank you so much for amazing work @svl7.

I want to do this my self, but how risky is it to flash the bios with an unlocked version, eg. are there any who got their laptop bricked beyond repair, and could not fix it again even with the "take out coin battery reset to original bios" and the "Bricked BIOS FIX" ?

There is no way to fix a bricked BIOS afaik but if it is only corrupted settings or something like it, you can fix by removing the battery like you said. However, it is not really risky unless the bios files is broken :P Never turn off computer or anything while updating a BIOS.

I'll post the details and files for a very safe upgrade procedure soon. There's no more need of the blind flash method.

There is no way to fix a bricked BIOS afaik but if it is only corrupted settings or something like it, you can fix by removing the battery like you said. However, it is not really risky unless the bios files is broken :P

Sure there are ways... one of them is the recovery method which is part of the current AW systems. Also the so far only way to flash the modified bios has been a bit risky... but as mention above, I'll post the instructions to a safer procedure soon.

I'll post the details and files for a very safe upgrade procedure soon. There's no more need of the blind flash method.

Sure there are ways... one of them is the recovery method which is part of the current AW systems. Also the so far only way to flash the modified bios has been a bit risky... but as mention above, I'll post the instructions to a safer procedure soon.

I can finally download files from the forum :) Looking for your new method or how to downgrade my BIOS from A10 to A05 :)

Edit : I might not flash it finally, dépends if it is really needed to install Mountain Lion on my m17x R4 :)

Edit 2 : Looks like I like to but unable to downgarde my Bios :/

@svl7 Any clue please? Also tried the unbrick tuto, please see my comment in that topic :) Can I disable USB 3.0 with Unlocked Bios? I can't install OS X from USB because it's incompatiblr with 3.0

I can finally download files from the forum :) Looking for your new method or how to downgrade my BIOS from A10 to A05 :)

Edit : I might not flash it finally, dépends if it is really needed to install Mountain Lion on my m17x R4 :)

Edit 2 : Looks like I like to but unable to downgarde my Bios :/

@svl7 Any clue please? Also tried the unbrick tuto, please see my comment in that topic :) Can I disable USB 3.0 with Unlocked Bios? I can't install OS X from USB because it's incompatiblr with 3.0

Anyone please?

I'm looking forward to this post, since I bricked my machine following the last instructions. - I had to send it in for replacement.

I need to disable onboard Intel graphics, so I can install my AMD drivers under linux.

You guys complain way too much. I do have a offline life as well, besides my SSD died last week and I need to redo most BIOS files since I didn't have a backup of all my mods.

• Thumbs Up 3

There's a lot of us that do appreciate your hard work, it's not like there's anyone else stepping up to the plate to help us out.

I think it's just that were impatient and scared to brick our systems, especially since there's a 'safer' way that will be posted soon.

Sorry to hear about losing your HDD, that shit can be depressing.

You guys complain way too much. I do have a offline life as well, besides my SSD died last week and I need to redo most BIOS files since I didn't have a backup of all my mods.
  • Thumbs Up 1

If i disable onboard video in Bios.. I get a crazy amount of angry beeps.. I have to remove the cmos battery, and let drain for a while to get the system to turn back on.

My video options are set to SG by default.. If I set to PCI, my Radeon 7970m disapears in the device manager.

Is anyone else having a simillar problem? or is there a more correct way to do this?

Try it like this: Video Configuration -> Primary Display -> set it to PEG

Then go to Internal Graphics Device and choose 'disabled'.

This should do the trick if I remember correctly.

• Brian pinned this topic