• Bios Modder
15 minutes ago, Alicee3 said:

Hi @Klem

This is my m17xr4 with 7970m and normal 60hz display, now im running Windows 10 UEFI and A15 BIOS, i will upgrade to 1070 next week. Can i ask for unlocked BIOS?
Thank you!

https://www.sendspace.com/file/zp795l

Hi!

Ok. Check PM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Bios Modder
59 minutes ago, DPC_Watchdog said:

The links does not work.

Hi!

Right now I checked,  all links in first post works without any problems.

I think that you can read the forum rules:  https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotion-rules-read-before-posting/

On 4/12/2019 at 10:52 AM, Klem said:

Hi!

Right now I checked,  all links in first post works without any problems.

I think that you can read the forum rules:  https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotion-rules-read-before-posting/

He talks about these links.

But for anyone els, head over to the same guide for the unlocked bios for the m18x r2 it's the same tools and the links is working.

Screenshot_20190412-104406__01.jpg

• Bios Modder
On 4/12/2019 at 11:46 AM, Henrik9979 said:

He talks about these links.

But for anyone els, head over to the same guide for the unlocked bios for the m18x r2 it's the same tools and the links is working.

Screenshot_20190412-104406__01.jpg

Yes you are right, I thought he meant links to files of unlocked bios, they are working.

Hi I am having issues with my Alienware M17x R4, it is not detecting my discrete graphic card. Currently on A14 BIOS

Will the rolling back of Bios to A05 aid with it? And the link in the first page isnt working :(

30 minutes ago, dodrio said:

Hi I am having issues with my Alienware M17x R4, it is not detecting my discrete graphic card. Currently on A14 BIOS

Will the rolling back of Bios to A05 aid with it? And the link in the first page isnt working :(

1. What link is not working?

2. What graphics card are you using?

3. Have it been working before?

4. If you are going change the bios, change it to an unlocked bios and set the primary display to PEG and see if it works.

3 minutes ago, Henrik9979 said:

1. What link is not working?

2. What graphics card are you using?

3. Have it been working before?

4. If you are going change the bios, change it to an unlocked bios and set the primary display to PEG and see if it works.

Hello thanks so much for the prompt response! :)

1.) the link to download A05 BIOS on the first page 

2.) I think i am using 580, nvidia 

3.) Yes it was working before, not sure when it died when i upgraded my windows to 10 or BIOS

4.) Sorry I have not tried changing as I cannot download the A05 unlocked BIOS

6 minutes ago, dodrio said:

Hello thanks so much for the prompt response! :)

1.) the link to download A05 BIOS on the first page 

2.) I think i am using 580, nvidia 

3.) Yes it was working before, not sure when it died when i upgraded my windows to 10 or BIOS

4.) Sorry I have not tried changing as I cannot download the A05 unlocked BIOS

https://www.techinferno.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=11973

This is the download link. If you can not use it, it is because you have not made enough quality posts yet. (Read the rules)

A think you can try is pressing FN+F7

The exact function is unclear, but it should switch between IGFX, PEG and SG. You need to restart each time.

Also you need to have installed Alienware OSD (on-screen-display) and Alienware command center for it to work.

1 minute ago, Henrik9979 said:

should

https://www.techinferno.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=11973

This is the download link. If you can not use it, it is because you have not made enough quality posts yet. (Read the rules)

A think you can try is pressing FN+F7

The exact function is unclear, but it should switch between IGFX, PEG and SG. You need to restart each time.

Also you need to have installed Alienware OSD (on-screen-display) and Alienware command center for it to work.

Ahh got you thank you so much! :) what about the FPT tools ? they show me 404 as well.

I tried FN+F7 it does not switch my GPU still, and when i head into my BIOS , ther is no discrete graphic card detected / shown

1 minute ago, dodrio said:

Ahh got you thank you so much! :) what about the FPT tools ? they show me 404 as well.

I tried FN+F7 it does not switch my GPU still, and when i head into my BIOS , ther is no discrete graphic card detected / shown

About the FPT tools look some few posts further up. I posted some working links for those too.

About the FPT tools look some few posts further up. I posted some working links for those too.

ahh okay thanks so much! :) I'll clock enough post around then try again!

9 minutes ago, Henrik9979 said:

No problem, and good luck.

Let me hear how it goes, I am a bit curious.

sure :) any tips on how to clock posts? i am like a computer idiot i dont know much about tech stuff

8 minutes ago, dodrio said:

sure :) any tips on how to clock posts? i am like a computer idiot i dont know much about tech stuff

You can make a thread with a mod or idea you have.

It could be custom painting your Alienware or experimenting with cooling. You can see if some of my threads could give inspiration.

3 minutes ago, Henrik9979 said:

You can make a thread with a mod or idea you have.

It could be custom painting your Alienware or experimenting with cooling. You can see if some of my threads could give inspiration.

I just subbed for Tier 1 :) got the files not sure about the bootable_disk.zip now

You lost me here... What bootable_disk.zip?

Not sure how the files are linked it says i need to download bootable_disk.zip as well to flash, and what do i do with prr2.zip and FPT_DOS.zip?

image.thumb.png.50265db55d6c6eadc843b2ae48de5b66.png

On 2/28/2019 at 12:00 PM, Mr. Tom said:

According to the thread titled:  "Alienware M17X R3 UEFI"   My Idea of Going UEFI is going to be a little more involved than I thought.  I better start doing my homework.

With any luck, I might be able to find the items I need to cobble together an Alien-Frankenstien at a reasonable price given that these things are on the order of 7-8 years old, or given the fact that I'm currently between jobs, give up on the UEFI thing altogether.  Having never used a forum before, it seems this is completely the wrong venue for my (above) post, even though I likely will need a BIOS mod to attempt to solve my "Plugged in, not charging" issue.

Sorry about that.

Will put all future posts in more apt locations!

How is your project going?

Edited by Henrik9979

Hello,

I have a M17x R4 with A13 stock bios installed. I have updated the cpu microcode and the intel mei version manually, outside any bios update (e.g. A14 or A15).

I am going to install an Nvidia GTX 980M soon. Is the unlocked A15 bios required to run this GPU or not?

From what I read, I undestand that as long as I have the internal Intel graphics card disabled (via Fn+F7 switch) , I will not need to use any unlocked bios and the GPU is going to work fine.

Thanks for letting me know.