Thanks Nofew, yea i realised i needed to flash my actual graphics card to overclock but i wanted to change my fan settings so when i run benchmarks and overclock the temperatures stay lower and generally keep the card in safer limits during heavy load

My apologies, after reading this topic a little further the second method is the one I should be following... I got a little bit confused because I thought a A5 downgrade was necessary, whereas A11 doesn't require a downgrade, just a reflash of the new one, provided I use the second method.

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful work!

works just as it should be

precise and to-the-point instructions

hassle free!

though the new bios has some intimidating options i dont understand

but the cpu c states are helpful

was on stock A11

made bootable disk

put all required files

run prr.exe

make backup

and then flash

awesome work!

works just as it should work

thanks again to all those who worked really hard on these unlocked bioses

• 3 weeks later...
Yes. 10chars

Apparently not, A05 modified to A10 modified resulted with bad write, black screen and loud fans. Manually powered down, bios recovered to stock A05, then flashed A10 using regular Insyde method. Happily sitting on unlocked A10 now.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.

Apparently not, A05 modified to A10 modified resulted with bad write, black screen and loud fans. Manually powered down, bios recovered to stock A05, then flashed A10 using regular Insyde method. Happily sitting on unlocked A10 now.

Hmmm, okay, interesting. This worked on the M18x R2, in fact for a long time it was the only way.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much svl7 for your great work, here is another success story of unlocking the bios of an m17X R4 A11. Moreover, would there be any possibility to modify the bios in order to unlock the limitation of non-Dell whitelisted GPUs working on nvidia 3D Vision?.

Regards,

Hi Guys,

My m17x r4 already came with A09 (purchased earlier this year). I was wondering if I can re-flash with the unlocked A09 bios or do I have to flash with a higher version i.e unlocked A10?

Cheers.

Thanks svl7 very appreciated. Reading through method 2 it looks like I have to go to A10 stock bios first then flash "FPT" A10 unlocked bios since there is no "FPT" version of "A09". Can you please confirm?

Cheers.

No. And why would you want to do this? There's really no reason for this unless you acquired your system in shady ways.

No nothing shady but the motherboard was replaced and it has the wrong number now. I should probably just call Dell and have them fix it. I've also always wanted to overclock a computer however its running well so I'm not sure I need to at this point.... I thought this might be "two birds with one stone".

Dell releases A12 BIOS for M17x R4

[h=3]Fixes & Enhancements[/h]Fixes

-Not Applicable

Enhancements

-Enhanced SMBIOS TYPE01 Offset 19h to Product name.

-Enhanced update DIMM isolation protocol.

-Enhanced update ePSA to 4220A10.(4220.11).

Yeah, thanks, seen that. M14x R2 and M18x R2 got an update as well.

ePSA is the integrated diagnostic suite of the Dell systems, so not a very important update it seems.

• Brian pinned this topic