Thanks Again!

Video: PEG / Disabling Onboard works and is exactly what I needed..

This has saved me a lot of frustration with my laptop. Thanks dude!

Try it like this: Video Configuration -> Primary Display -> set it to PEG

Then go to Internal Graphics Device and choose 'disabled'.

This should do the trick if I remember correctly.

First post updated with new file (A10) and new flashing method.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks it worked flawlessly!! Flashed retail A10 then followed your tutorial and no issue! :D It worked!

From this version can I downgrade to A05 without pain or still the same? :P

It won't change anything regarding the USB recovery method. It's theoretically possible to flash A05 the same way as you now flashed the unlocked A10, but as mentioned it will only flash the bios and not the complete firmware, which means the EC won't be downgraded. I'm pretty sure this will work without issues in this case, but it's not meant like this, and it could cause problems in certain cases. Therefore I recommend staying on A10. Or is there any particular reason you want A05?

It won't change anything regarding the USB recovery method. It's theoretically possible to flash A05 the same way as you now flashed the unlocked A10, but as mentioned it will only flash the bios and not the complete firmware, which means the EC won't be downgraded. I'm pretty sure this will work without issues in this case, but it's not meant like this, and it could cause problems in certain cases. Therefore I recommend staying on A10. Or is there any particular reason you want A05?

No need of A05 anymore as I am unlocked but I was just wondering :)

Now my Alienware wont boot, looks like disabling integrated graphics was a really really bad idea. I thought it would only disable my HD 4000 but now the computer when I turn it on has no display and beep really loudly :/

If I need to take the motherboard battery away, am I gonna lose warranty?

Removing the battery won't ruin the warranty.. Nobody has to know anyways..

I left mine out.. unplugged my machine, large battery out. - Let sit for an hour.. and it went back to normal.

I thought pushing the power button would speed up the process of the drain, but no luck.. I had to let it sit for awhile.

Be patient.

If you wanted to disable Onboard Video, The method SVL7 told me was to switch video to PEG, and disable Onboard Video.

And that worked for me without getting the beeps.

No need of A05 anymore as I am unlocked but I was just wondering :)

Now my Alienware wont boot, looks like disabling integrated graphics was a really really bad idea. I thought it would only disable my HD 4000 but now the computer when I turn it on has no display and beep really loudly :/

If I need to take the motherboard battery away, am I gonna lose warranty?

• Thumbs Up 1

Removing the battery won't ruin the warranty.. Nobody has to know anyways..

I left mine out.. unplugged my machine, large battery out. - Let sit for an hour.. and it went back to normal.

I thought pushing the power button would speed up the process of the drain, but no luck.. I had to let it sit for awhile.

Be patient.

If you wanted to disable Onboard Video, The method SVL7 told me was to switch video to PEG, and disable Onboard Video.

And that worked for me without getting the beeps.

Thanks, that looks right, removed the CMOS battery for a min a when I turned back on the laptop, it still kept beeping. What I did instead is to take the AC & (Laptop not CMOS)Battery, hold power 30 sec, plug back AC. Hold FN + Press Power then it goes directly in 'Diagnotisc mode or testing mode and it worked'. Unsure yet if it is the FN trick or the AC + Battery removed once again that made the difference. All I know is that I had removed those + the CMOS Battery at first and it didn't work.

Finally I will stick with normal Graphics Settings :P The FN + F7 just work fine ^^

I prefer using switchable graphics for saving battery life...

But as an occasional linux user, It frustrated the hell out of me that I couldn't get the AMD drivers to work with the alienware, unless i disabled the onboard in bios.

The generic intel drivers ubuntu installed by default were ok.. But I couldn't watch HD videos with it, or use compiz effects. Plus I had severe page tearing when dragging windows around.

It drove me mad for such a powerful computer that it should be.

.. Now I'm dual-booting: BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution - and it's nice to have that kind of arsenal at your disposal when needed. :)

I prefer using switchable graphics for saving battery life...

But as an occasional linux user, It frustrated the hell out of me that I couldn't get the AMD drivers to work with the alienware, unless i disabled the onboard in bios.

The generic intel drivers ubuntu installed by default were ok.. But I couldn't watch HD videos with it, or use compiz effects. Plus I had severe page tearing when dragging windows around.

It drove me mad for such a powerful computer that it should be.

.. Now I'm dual-booting: BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution - and it's nice to have that kind of arsenal at your disposal when needed. :)

I've got the NVidia GTX 660M and it works well on Fedora 18 :)

I have flashed the unlocked BIOS and everything seems to work fine, but I can't find the new options in the BIOS.

The only change is the tab "Main", where the hardwareinformations are listed.

Everything else is same as before. Did I do something wrong ?

The "Advanced" tab, like in this screenshot, is completely missing for me.

4708d1344610180-04-advanced2.jpg

I have exactly the same problem, the second "Advanced" options are not aviable after flashing from A05 to A10 unlocked.

@svl7 Do you have any idea how to resolve this.

It's definetly the A10 unlocked svl7 BIOS flahed, but additional options are missing.

You should really read carefully, it says the new method doesn't update the Bios firmware. Flash A10 stock then flash A10 unlocked.

If it would have worked properly, instead of Dell Inc in the top left, it would be svl7 mod

If you hvn't used the new method then no idea ^^

@jamesst20

thx for your answer, but I used the Old version to Flash back to A05.

After that, I flashed the original Dell A05 and than the unlocked A10 BIOS with Software Update under Windows (InsydeFlash). Is that wrong?

So you didn't use the [FPT] version right? It should be fine hmm it's odd. Give a try to the second method which is the recommended one and the one I used, flash the retail A10 update using insydeFlash and then follow the method 2 instructions :)

Works well for me

Thanks Jamessst20, now I have the new unlocked bios, but my i7 3820qm isn't working with Full speed 3900 MHz at all 4 cores all the time, I changed the "Turbo boost power time window" from 28 to max, but after a minute he beginns to throttle to 3500 MHz, the temps are max. 80 degress. Also I changed the throttletemp in BIOS from 80 degress to 90.

"Turbo Boost Power max" is set to 57w and "Turbo Boost Short power max" is set to 67w with Intel XTU, but throttling is still present. In the New 3DMark, I geht only 10000 points at Physik score.

I have seen Somerset People with I7 3720qm with much higher points.

Did you or any other have any idea?

The ivy bridge cores always go back to 45watts after max 56 secs.

You cannot change this, this will always happen and there is no workaround.

You can set your watts higher to be sure, i have them on 100watts and that's for short power and the other one.

I repast my CPU today with "liquid metalpad" and the Temps a really good now. I reached under full-load 3900 MHz at all 4 cores, only 72 degress. I think there is alot more potencial in the i7 3820qm, but 3900 MHz is the most MHz I can choose.

I have the unlocked BIOS A10, but more than 39 factor at all 4 cores isn't aviable.

I'am very confiused at that, because I saw Benchmarks with i7 3720 qm with much more physic score in 3DMark http://imageshack.us/f/826/3dmark11cevop170em3920x.jpg/

How is this possible???

Hello. Flashing done (I used new method), but I have question. What about bus overclocking ? Somebody have idea how to change bus using icc2 ... ? I see also in my unlocked a10 bios that intel lib is missing and it is responsable for icc overclocking. I had the same issue on msi gt60 but there I was able to full flash with intel sku using falsh me.bat and special unlocking tool.

Also I would like to know If anybody can overclock memory even when I change timing from 10 to 11 I have no display and next boot it reverts to default.

42f85a8f89c35ae4med.jpg

What about other users and ICC overclocking lib?

Generaly I find msi bios more user friendly especialy when overclocking memory and ICC.

Yeah, Nvidia is the way to go for linux users.. AMD's driver support is a little lacking.

Unless you want to overclock or are using the open source drivers, in which case the situation is completely reversed. Catalyst proprietary has overclocking support unlike Nvidia's binaries, and Nouveau has about no actual acceleration, while 3.8.0's Radeon is showing better performance than Catalyst in some situations.

Anyway, does someone have a changelog for the new A11 M17x R4 BIOS?

And sorry, but what exactly does FPT stand for? Something to do with Fortran? Intel Flash Programming Tool? I think the latter might be available under DOS, but will that really be able to safely bypass the firmware validity check that we had to use A05 to get around before?

• Brian pinned this topic